PDA

View Full Version : single or double ram

craigdskilling
12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
What does everone run on there boat.When do you go to double ram or single is it speed or the water you are running in,larg water or in lakes where the chop doesnt get to big.I'm not sure what to put on my drive.the boat could see 90+ mlp but i dont ride in big water to often.Also i dont think i will be in those high # to often i like 70.this is going on a blackhawk and a 18 donzi.I am looking at imco for the full hydraulic system.single is under 2000 and double is 3000.thanks craig.

osur866
12-11-2012, 06:48 PM
I did dual on my 18, for the little extra cost of the other ram and the speeds you will see I'd go ahead and put the other ram on, if for nothing else it just looks better on the eyes as everything is more balanced, just my opinion. This is how I did mine with a dual ram Lathem system.

craigdskilling
12-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks Steve that looks great I think i am going to do the same.what distance are u from the side of the drive to your bracket of the ram.how do you now what length to order.

osur866
12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Mine where 9" rams, Ziegler makes a real nice system that a lot of Guys run and it can be mounted closer to the drive, others might chime in and show pics of their set ups, if you do a search on here there was many a threads on steering systems and installs, do the steering before or at the same time as the increased HP anything 70 and above and you really should have it to be safe, and once you have it you'll never wanna go back to cable assist anymore!

Carl C
12-12-2012, 06:54 AM
I went with the Zeiger. They can sell you a complete kit with templates, drill guide, pre-cut hoses, block-off plate to cover the old dash holes and detailed instructions. If you request a 120 cc helm you will stay at 3 steering wheel turns lock to lock. The standard helm brings you up to 4 1/2 I think. Mine was about $3,800 complete almost 3 years ago. Customer support is great. Paul gave me his cell # if I needed to reach him.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures089Medium.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures085.jpg

VetteLT193
12-12-2012, 08:02 AM
The prices you posted sound like half systems, be sure to check that out first so you know what you are getting. Usually Single ram full systems start at $2500, twin ram is in the $3500 area.

I think if I was running a Blackhawk and on a budget I'd rather a full system with one ram Vs. a half system with 2 rams. There is play in the cables running from the helm to the rams.

If you go single ram: my opinion is installation is key to making it perfect. Glass in a big backing plate on the inside where the ram mounts so there is no flex in the transom.

gcarter
12-12-2012, 08:23 AM
As far as "needs" go, you only need a single. Dual cylinders are really only necessary on twin engines where you're experiencing twice the torque. The force generated by a single is well over the torque steer of the drive.
OTOH, most of us are like the owners of "cafe racer bikes" in that the necessity isn't what it's about. Most of it's about show, and would always install a dual system rather than a single.
the only down side to a single is, the the steering rate is different going from left to right.

CHACHI
12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Carl, fix the rubber cover on you circuit breaker.

Ken

Carl C
12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
"Carl, fix the rubber cover on you circuit breaker."

You guys crack me up! I was ready for a comment on the garage in the background and you notice the loose circuit breaker cover. It's amazing that I never lost that thing because it kept ending up on the floor. Now it's glued to the dash with epoxy! Oh, and here is what the little garage looks like now: :)
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/Pictures224.jpg

roadtrip se
12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
A double ram spreads the resistance across two pressure points.

A double ram gives rendundancy in the event of a failure.

A double ram will give tighter response at the wheel.

A double ram is not that much more money.

And, a blackhawk drive puts an exponential amount of additional pressure against the gimbal, over a deeper water drive system. Most prevelant failure point I have seen on blackhawk boats that I have inspected? Shaky gimbals.

I would double it up and never look back.

craigdskilling
12-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the response but is cpperformance the best place to buy from.should i wait to see if they have a boxing day sale or can anyone hook me up with a good deal on a double ram system.that would be great.or single ?????

Pat McPherson
12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Personally I'd go with dual ram and leave the cable helm to start if the you don't have the cash to go all the way.
My theory would be that the drive is going to be held steady regardless of the slop in the cable helm. I've also read the gimble can wear if the drive is only held from 1 side.
Yes, the wheel will move a little without the drive moving with the "add-on system"

I too have been thinking my boat should have at least an add-on external ram setup.

Question for Carl C:
Do you have any idea the distance from the edge of the gimble to the out side of the piston Mount on your setup?
My k-plans are real close to the gimble and I'm not sure if there is a system that will fit. When I was picking up the boat Dave had a template for a 9" Latham piston and it didn't fit.

osur866
12-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Look on offshore only, there was a nice system on there for a dual bravo set up for $1500 could buy it sell off the 2 wing plates to help offset a wing plate for your BH which you prolly will not find used. Good luck, fwiw Ed Who has the system listed is a straight guy.

Carl C
12-13-2012, 07:24 AM
"Question for Carl C:
Do you have any idea the distance from the edge of the gimble to the out side of the piston Mount on your setup?
My k-plans are real close to the gimble and I'm not sure if there is a system that will fit. When I was picking up the boat Dave had a template for a 9" Latham piston and it didn't fit."

6 5/8"

VetteLT193
12-13-2012, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]Personally I'd go with dual ram and leave the cable helm to start if the you don't have the cash to go all the way.
My theory would be that the drive is going to be held steady regardless of the slop in the cable helm. I've also read the gimble can wear if the drive is only held from 1 side.
Yes, the wheel will move a little without the drive moving with the "add-on system"[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I have asked countless people "why" the gimbal is held better with two rams Vs. one and no one can answer the why part. People have the gut feeling that there is two rams so it's 'gotta be supported better' but no one has shown me any kind of math or logical explanation as to why it would be. With a single ram attached the end of the drive is held solid. Nothing about adding another ram makes the base of the drive where the gimbal is supported any better than if there is one ram when everything is bolted up.

Look at it this way... if you disconnect the drive from the gimbal but leave the rams attached, the drive will move back and forth regardless if you have two rams connected or one.

Don't get me wrong... Two rams comes with benefits and will be the best system but one ram is just fine and if you have a choice of going with a full system with one ram or a half system with two... The one ram will be solid from the helm back where you will have play with two and cable at the steering wheel.

The benefit of two rams is it's stronger (IMO a good idea on a boat running 90+). Two rams will also give you a better total failure safety... I the event your gimbal blows the two rams will hold the drive in a straighter position if hanging on its own. I can't say if this would truly help or not in that situation because the drive still is going to be dangling at that point. Two rams also gives you even steering right to left. This doesn't affect anything at speed but can be annoying if you want to keep your steering wheel centered. It's also nice that you don't have to do as much work reinforcing the transom. My brother's old 22 had single ram and was rock solid at any speed with zero play.... he had a large area where the ram mounted beefed up/glassed in. On most of the installs I have seen there isn't near enough attention to the mounting point(s)... if the plan is to use small backing blocks then then dual ram is simply easier to install because the load will be spread over two points. My boat is set up with the small backing blocks from Donzi so it is safe to say that it's the 'standard' install. I think that a single ram installed with this standard small backing block method is what's given them the bad name of having any play or being inferior to dual ram besides the points mentioned above.

gcarter
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree w/Bob.
For instance, if you use a Hynautic K-5B cylinder, it will provide 1,300-1,400 Lb of force w/a 950# check valve in place.
Do you think "Your" boat needs more than that?
Then look at the geometry of the setup (you can even draw a little force diagram to confirm what I'm saying), if you put pressure in one side of the cylinder, it pushes, put it in the other side and it pulls. There's nothing more to it. That's all there is.
If you add the second cylinder, remember the lines are tied (paired) together, i.e., the inner end of one cylinder it paired to the outer end of the other cylinder.
If you lose a hose (failure), you've lost the hydraulic system and your steering. There's no redundancy in a two cylinder setup.

I have nothing against a dual cylinder setup. It looks way cool, and it gives equal steering in both directions.
I have a dual setup on the Testa Rossa, just because the boat came w/it, not because the steering needs over 2,000 Lb of force to steer it.

roadtrip se
12-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Pretty broad statment, and not entirely accurate...

Why?

-First of all, I have fought with air leaks and such in the past. Very rarely is it a complete failure of a hose, it's more like a leak, and you start losing pressure,
which is pretty noticable at the helm. This is the reason why I run braided hose on the outside, because these are the most exposed hoses.

-So let's say, you do have a complete failure of a hose or a connector cuts lose? With two rams, you are going to have more oil leftover pumping through two rams versus one, and more time to react to a loss in pressure. Even, if they are connected, you simply have more time to react with two rams, than one, to a loss in pressure.

-What if something goes wrong with a ram end? You have a back-up. I have seen seals blow-out on the ends of these things, even with some of the best brand stuff. It happens. Again, you have more time to react.

-Say, you happen to run over something, and the drive pops up. I would rather have the extra support of two rams versus one, protecting my gimbal and transom. Not to mention the steering predictability and additional control that comes with a twin ram system, as I attempt to get the boat under control at speed, after an impact.

-Finally, single engine offshore racers always fight with weight and safety as trade-offs. In all of my years of attending races, I have never seen a single ram racing boat. Not that they don't exist, but the majority run doubles. Must be a reason for that.

VetteLT193
12-13-2012, 11:15 AM
regarding hydraulics with more fluid Vs. less... it's not the quantity of fluid that matters it's the quantity of air. Using the logic that more fluid helps in a leak situation means you could run longer internal lines and just coil them up thus increasing the fluid capacity. What happens in a leak situation is air enters the system and you lose hydraulic pressure. Doesn't matter if you have 10 rams or 100 gallons of fluid in the lines/rams. in a closed loop system it's the air that gets in that fouls it. you are only pushing with so much fluid from the helm and when the amount of air in the system == the pressure you can output at the helm the system is down.

I certainly agree with the pressure points / load bearing on the transom. I think this is the number one issue with single ram. To make the single solid you have to reinforce the transom. The tiny blocks most use that are just larger than the ram base is not enough (probably not enough for dual ram either but that's another topic). I'm confident that all of the people that have had any issues with single ram have skimped on the transom reinforcement which of course leads to flex and cause issues. If single is properly installed the end of the drive won't move or be supported any differently than with 2 rams. The ram(s) don't really support any part of the drive except the end where they mount. The ram(s) triangulate and work with the gimbal. The reason gimbals don't wear out nearly as fast with hydraulic is the ram(s) take the leverage out of the end of the drive to work the gimbal back and forth constantly.... the internal tiller is trying to hold the drive while the prop is fighting against that and the losing part is the gimbal. externally the steering is grabbing hold at a good leverage point so the steering isn't fighting the prop torque from a disadvantage point and it's certainly not fighting the prop torque through the gimbal.

This is one of the boats I have been looking at of late while pricing out building a competetive, but lower cost, race boat
Single Engine Single Ram Race Boat (http://www.michiganmafia.net/team_pfe_michiganmafia_002.htm)

gcarter
12-13-2012, 11:28 AM
"If" I had a race boat, I'd have a dual setup, mainly because the steering will be equal and give better control.
Having designed and built hydraulic systems for years, I'm not so sure about the rest of your argument though, Todd.

On another note, I've mentally designed an emergency tiller extension...............
You'd remove the hatch, and install the extension. A person could steer from the back seat.
The tiller would have a sleeve that would fit over the Merc tiller and be held in place by a pin placed through the existing hole for the cable locating pin hole.
The extension could be made from heavy wall steel tubing and would make a 90* turn up to clear the engine followed by another 90* bend forward to give some leverage to the person in the back seat.
It'd be a possible life saver.

BUIZILLA
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
ask Greg how the single ram worked out for him...

Carl C
12-13-2012, 02:18 PM
"ask Greg how the single ram worked out for him..."

Tylogan, Gregg? His single ram system worked fine last I knew. Was there a problem?

gcarter
12-13-2012, 02:41 PM
I believe Jim was referring to Greg G's outboard when one of the hoses failed at a high speed and threw him across the boat so that he was injured.

I'm posting a two cylinder schematic so everyone can see how the two cylinders are tied together..........

roadtrip se
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
This is farily simple really. Somebody wanted an opinion on the options, and I weighed in with my thoughts.
These thoughts arise from 20+ years experience of being around, owning, and running performance boats of all kinds for
hundreds of hours. And yes, I have had some of the instances occur that I outlined here. Analyze it all you want,
but in a performance boat that runs over 70+, I wouldn't have anything but a twin ram system.

osur866
12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
X2 on what the Trippper said, and Ill add this if your going to the expense of doing a full system it really doesn't cost all that much more to throw on the other ram, the balanced, even stress on the transom, gimble and looks much better my .02

Pat McPherson
12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Thank you Carl. I've got about 7-1/2" so the Z rams will fit.

Carl C
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Good deal, Patrick. There are several threads here about Zeiger steering installation. A pro could do it in about 3 hours. I took my time and did it in a few days.

gcarter
12-13-2012, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't put in an external steering system w/o beefing up the transom sides. I laid in 3 courses of bi-directional stitchmat on each side in addition to the original layup schedule. Even if I were to install a single cylinder system, I'd still build up both sides, so you could add a second cylinder later. My transom sides are now 3/4" thick. They are stout. It's more than the layup in most of the forward part of the hull. From the point just aft of the tank and aft, the bottom of the TR, from chine to chine, is 1"-1-1/4" thick, but that has nothing to do w/the steering.;)
The next point is, there're deals out there. If a drive bracket is found, I can put together a two cylinder system for $800.00-$1,400.00, depending on what you can find and what you pay for it. All of it can be rebuilt and re-sealed.
Some here would say you MUST buy a new system, and if ya got the money in this economy, I say go for it. A lot can be done w/less though. If anyone wants some guidance in this area, there're a number of pages in my TR thread showing, in some detail, how to go about piecing together a system, bebuilding/re-sealing cylinders, sizing helms, and installing the system. Some might find it useful.

Carl C
12-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Late models have a full thick transom.

craigdskilling
12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys alot of info.So that was my next Q how thick I should build up the inside for where the rams will be, do u just buid the area where they mount.Do u make it bigger and spread it out to carry the load.I think the bracket is around 3.5" wide by 3" long so would you double that inside or more.I am trying to find some steering on ofshore.there is some there,or i will wait till after xmas.thanks again guy's your great craig:wavey:

gcarter
12-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I built up the entire area except the top. To be more specific, I tapered the layup. I covered the entire transom side w/the first course, the next stopped about 2" below the top, followed by a third course of bi-directional stitchmat that stops about 2" below that.

Pismo
12-14-2012, 09:16 AM
A Zeiger setup will mount in the thick part of the transom.

undertaker
12-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Craig if you wanna go new on a Zieger system....call Bill @ Diamond Performance he has the best price on these systems....

Here is his website diamondperformanceparts.com

I got a Zieger system (dual ram) on my 22 and love it....go dual ram you will not be sorry at all.....:D

Undertaker:umbrella:

craigdskilling
12-17-2012, 06:03 AM
When they say that the steering will hook up to any bravo drive does that go for a Blackhawks.I f you look there is one for sale here with steering look at the plate is that any different than norm.Thanks craig

undertaker
12-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Craig, that is the new style Zieger wing plate I have the exact one on my boat.....that is what you will get when you get a new Zieger system...some of the older kits have a different plate.....example of different plate would be Carl C. setup....

Undertaker

craigdskilling
12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I think I will be going with Ziegler dual ram the prices are very good at cpperformance so the plate that will come in that kit will work

katanna
12-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I ordered my zeiger system from Paul at everette performance based on advice from this site. should arrive tomorrow. Paul is great to work with and he is the person that answers the phone when you call.

craigdskilling
12-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Kattanna did u go double or single ram and are u running a Blackhawk also.

katanna
12-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Not running a Blackhawk. I went with a single. Everybody has their opinions on double and single. I look at it this way, when running these boats there is not much in the water and it doesn't take a lot of effort to turn them. If you attached a handle to the drive it would be no problem to steer them by hand.
All that changes when the weight goes up and you start adding length and beam. The $800 saved on the extra ram just to make it look pretty when its on the trailer, will go towards a supercharger.

Carl C
12-18-2012, 07:09 AM
The full system does add a lot of weight to these little boats.

katanna
12-19-2012, 06:31 AM
The full system does add a lot of weight to these little boats.

I run the lighter weight fluid and try to keep it on the low side of the dip stick..

craigdskilling
12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Katanna you bring up a good point, how heavy is from a single to a double.Are they that heavy cause now im thinking single and the cost will help the cost of my whipple every little bit helps

yeller
12-19-2012, 08:04 PM
The $800 saved on the extra ram just to make it look pretty when its on the trailer, will go towards a supercharger.
:yes:

craigdskilling
12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks

katanna
12-19-2012, 09:19 PM
The weight is not a factor. I will be back at my office on friday and will put a cylinder hoses and the mount on a scale. Worse case scenario you add another six pack up front to balance it. lol

osur866
12-20-2012, 12:17 AM
If your worried about the weight swap the iron heads with alumium and you'll be ahead of the game with dual ram steering :)

Ghost
12-20-2012, 12:54 AM
How much weight difference can there be between a single and double setup? Seems like it'd be less than 10 pounds.

osur866
12-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Mike you'd be suprised at how much weight it will add, I mean the entire system, 4 lines to the helm, the helm weights prolly 10-12lbs by itself, is it worth doing? Absolutely and I'm a fan of the dual for the above mentioned reasons. I think if I recall all the lines helm both rams tank, filter, wing plate, backing plates and hardware was in the 110-120 lbs range

Pat McPherson
12-20-2012, 05:54 AM
I'll take a 5'5" blond with big boobs over the steering if the weight is an issue.:D

Ghost
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Apologies if I wasn't clear--I totally believe external hydraulic adds real weight, but I was wondering how much weight difference there is between a single-ram whole system and a dual-ram whole system. That's where I'd expect only 10 lbs or less. (One ram, a couple of plates, some hose and a little more fluid.) I suppose the plates are steel, so maybe as much as 15 lbs of difference. But I was thinking the big hit is putting in any system, and the jump from single to dual isn't much more.

And some weight does come out, too, when switching.

Boobs sound good though.

craigdskilling
12-20-2012, 03:22 PM
I like boobs, ha ha.can i put aluminum heads on my motor or should i keep the vortec heads they say that the mapping will get screwed up.

osur866
12-21-2012, 12:44 AM
If you change anything to the motor you'll have to remap the ECM, it's going to have to be remapped if you add a whipple, and whipple CAN remap the ecm555's Dustin did mine and I changed everything.

roadtrip se
12-21-2012, 10:38 PM
I knew there was a reason I went with Dart Pro One aluminums this time around. And I will admit, when I want to go REAL fast, there are no boobs on board.

craigdskilling
02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
So I'm ready.do i go with ziegler or maifair.Will they both work for my blackhawk.Is the one that is for sale in the reg with props is that a ziegler set up and when they say 15.5 or 19.5 standerd what do they mean by that i now that they are both 9'' from the side of the gimble.thanks craig.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I thought I would bring this thread back up since it relates to what I am facing right now. My 28' Warlock came with an IMCO single ram external add on system that is easier to turn left than right at idle. After talking to Ron at IMCO yesterday, I am going to get and install the second ram which comes as a kit for $1545. He told me that the single ram add on is not a balanced system like the dual ram so this should take care of the issues. He also added that many people add the second ram so they offer the kit which comes with everything including the dual wing plate and instructions. I will feel much better about having the dual rams and thought I would pass this along. I should add that my 23' Eliminator has a dual ram Mayfair add on system that is rock solid at any speed - no play whatsoever. I expect the IMCO system to be just as stout. Onwards.

gcarter
10-11-2013, 03:41 PM
I thought I would bring this thread back up since it relates to what I am facing right now. My 28' Warlock came with an IMCO single ram external add on system that is easier to turn left than right at idle. After talking to Ron at IMCO yesterday, I am going to get and install the second ram which comes as a kit for $1545. He told me that the single ram add on is not a balanced system like the dual ram so this should take care of the issues. He also added that many people add the second ram so they offer the kit which comes with everything including the dual wing plate and instructions. I will feel much better about having the dual rams and thought I would pass this along. I should add that my 23' Eliminator has a dual ram Mayfair add on system that is rock solid at any speed - no play whatsoever. I expect the IMCO system to be just as stout. Onwards.

Bill, I think the biggest benefit of the dual cylinder setup is the balanced operation of the steering. Ya got plenty of other things to think about besides having to use more effort in one direction than the other, and more or less input at the drive while turning the wheel, i.e., a certain no of degrees of wheel travel in one direction will result a certain amount of cylinder rod travel, vs. a different outcome in the other direction.

VetteLT193
11-01-2013, 10:06 PM
is that a cat hull too? different world all together.

There is a reason why some boats with a 525 have bravo drives and some number 6 drives. speed adds a whole different factor of force.

a 22 classic even with big power won't run out of steering with a single ram where a small cat may blow through one because of the forces the speeds add. There is a massive difference between even 90 and the low 100's

The Hedgehog
11-11-2013, 11:28 PM
You guys are so funny!

I have been out for a while and some things never change. Single vs dual.....George has one way to look at it and Tripper s telling people they are going to put an eye out!

Glad to see the Carl has rams now though! Those gauges hooked up?

Here is my take and I have owned all of the above too.

Basically there is truth to all viewpoints. No, you won't put your eye out with one ram. If you would, the good people at Arneson would be using two. Btw, their drive sticks out like a Blackhawk.

Now that being said, two is better and safer. At big speeds I would shell out an extra grand or so. I may even add another to my X 18. It only runs 70 so I would only do it to look cool! If I start seeing speeds of 80 you get I will go with another. Not because it needs it, but because it is cheap insurance.....and it looks cool. I am not horribly worried about cradling a big ass Bravo in front of 350 hp. Even at 500 you would have to slap it around pretty hard to really need two. At 700 hp.....now you are talking!

I missed you guys!

I am all in favor of more equals better. At the same time, I would not want to see someone not use a single and do nothing because they don't have the dough.

The Hedgehog
11-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Btw Tripper, we need to talk about those duo props on your big boat. I know you like the way it cruises, but I think you are leaving a solid 2-3 mph on the table with all those props.

craigdskilling
11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Hey guy's I just wanted to up date things.no boat this summer:garfield:.Should be ready by next summer but I was looking at buying steering and text cp to ask if they could help me with my Blackhawk and I talked to a gentlemen there named Rick and I can still get the cap plate for my drive threw Ziegler at the same price as they are asking:).I thought I would share.I can give more info if anyone needs it.thanks craig.

The Hedgehog
11-12-2013, 07:13 PM
I bought one from CP. A part was missing. It was shipped to my house within 2 days. No discussion!

I have always had good luck with them.

roadtrip se
11-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Btw Tripper, we need to talk about those duo props on your big boat. I know you like the way it cruises, but I think you are leaving a solid 2-3 mph on the table with all those props.

You mess with my big boat props, Hedge, I'll put your eye out! :bighug::biggrin:

Carl C
11-15-2013, 10:51 AM
You guys are so funny! Glad to see the Carl has rams now though! Those gauges hooked up? I missed you guys! We missed you too! Of course my boat has full Zeiger now; Don't you feel bad about all the BS I took over that now? :) Still no gauges. No one can tell me exactly how to do it. Boat is propped to hit the rev limiter running in ideal conditions (86 mph @ 5,400). I monitor the oil and engine temps by hand and with an infrared heat gun. Engine has built in safeguards for oil pressure, engine temp and rpms or I would not run it this way. Glad you're back.

The Hedgehog
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
You mess with my big boat props, Hedge, I'll put your eye out! :bighug::biggrin:

Ha, don't they put big Arnys on a Formula? That would be cool! A couple of those Cummings Mercs with surface drives. Think of the efficiency? I would think you could sell that to Jill on the merit of fuel consumption alone!

The Hedgehog
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
We missed you too! Of course my boat has full Zeiger now; Don't you feel bad about all the BS I took over that now? :) Still no gauges. No one can tell me exactly how to do it. Boat is propped to hit the rev limiter running in ideal conditions (86 mph @ 5,400). I monitor the oil and engine temps by hand and with an infrared heat gun. Engine has built in safeguards for oil pressure, engine temp and rpms or I would not run it this way. Glad you're back.

You are such a safety freak!

Just to keep things stirred up, I am going to build a big power 22 with an Alpha drive, cable steering and no gauges this winter. My lawn mower does not have any gauges, why should my boat right.

Basically gauges are for weenies that can't tell what is going on with their boat anyway. By the time they tell you something, it has already happened. Be the boat Danny!

Ghost
11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Ha, don't they put big Arnys on a Formula? That would be cool! A couple of those Cummings Mercs with surface drives. Think of the efficiency? I would think you could sell that to Jill on the merit of fuel consumption alone!

LOL, "can't afford to?! You can't afford not​ to!!" :)

BUIZILLA
11-15-2013, 11:34 AM
if it has a supercharger, or turbocharger, no way in hell is Jill buying that ramble.. LOL

The Hedgehog
11-15-2013, 12:34 PM
if it has a supercharger, or turbocharger, no way in hell is Jill buying that ramble.. LOL

Maybe with a diesel? I am sure you could help sell that idea!

roadtrip se
11-15-2013, 12:59 PM
OMG. This is priceless... thanks for the chuckle, after a very long week, guys...

The genesis of so many ideas, some good, some really bad, start on threads like this one. All of you can stay away from my Formula, figuratively and mentally, as it is not going to be subjected to any of this noise... As for Jill, well her MINI and my F-150 are both turbos, but it still isn't somewhere I am going any time soon with her, no how, no way. So, I am headed out to the barn to check the JD GT for gauges... back... You guys are right, the dam thing has two dummy lights. Gauges? Who needs em?!

BUIZILLA
11-15-2013, 01:53 PM
if you have time to read gauges, your going to slow..