PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions

smokediver
11-30-2012, 07:42 AM
I am in the process of cleaning up my 1990 18 classic . I havent had it in the water yet as there are a few things needing some attention . I have a few questions . first off , its a 350 4bbl with spitfire ignition . It is a cone clutch king cobra outdrive with no thru hull exhaust . I was wondering if anyone has this set up with thru hull exhaust and would they mind posting a few pics of the engine compartment . secondly , thos big giant foam squares under the bow .. what are they there for ?? thanks in advance ..

Tidbart
11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Hey John,

How is the new ride? Hope it all that you thought it would be. If you posted any photos, I missed them.

Bob

smokediver
11-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Hey bob. I will post a few later today. I plan on running it sunday. The fuel system was bad due to it not being ran for six years lol.

Tidbart
11-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Great John. Hope it goes well. :crossfing:

B

biggiefl
11-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Those foam blocks are so when boat sinks, bow floats.

If your thru-prop exhaust is still good, find a silent choice setup. I would not own a loud boat without "SeaRay" mode again.

MOP
12-02-2012, 10:07 AM
That is a nice running combo, there is a couple out my way. If and when the Spitfire gives up grab a Merc IV setup cheap way out for great ignition.

Phil

BUIZILLA
12-02-2012, 11:53 AM
John, I don't think your going to see any speed increase for the trouble your going to go through which would require removing the engine to do it.... wait until you have to do that and get the SSM manifolds and risers or something close to that and add the thru hulls at that time... just my .02

smokediver
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
I am not looking for any speed increase just yet jim. I took her out today and it ran great and just stopped. Turn over but wouldnt run and the would run only to stop. After floating around for about ten minutes it ran fine for about fifteen minutes and then stopped i replaced the kill switch prior to going out but i am gonna look at the grounds real good and throw in a new breaker and ignition switch for good measure.phil i might wind up doing just that !

smokediver
12-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Here is a pic

Tidbart
12-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Sounds like you are running it of fuel. Did you rebuild the carb, John?

BUIZILLA
12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
does it have a coil?

smokediver
12-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Yeah. Mark rebuilt the carb put in brass floats and went with a little lighter spring in the secondaries. There is no coil per se. Or maybe its a coil pack set up. There is no distibutor at all. There its called a spitfire ignition. I see a lot of guys convert over to a distributor set up when they go bad. Its only got 160 hours bit its old. I think a good first place to start is the grounds and the ignition switch

smokediver
12-06-2012, 04:18 PM
well , i put in a new ki;; switch , new ignition switch , chased every ground and made sure they were clean and tight . When the engine heats up it just dies . not a slow running out of fuel die , like kill switch die , lol .. Doing a little research this is kinda a common thing with these ignitions so I am gonna ditch it and put on a marine hei set up . I am putting in a new dash/ gauges so I think I might as well re-wire it . I will take notes and may post the conversion in case anyone else runs into this problem . probably take me a month or two

biggiefl
12-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Sounds like your ignition or a part of it. Should not be hard to find. My tractor did the same thing and it was coil. There must be some sort of coil pack or resistor, etc that is shutting down when hot. If OMC did something like their outboards with it, look for a power pack and VIOLA.