PDA

View Full Version : Site stats

Ghost
11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Looks like some people recently had the same idea/curiousity that I did. When I sorted the member list by post count (clicking on the head of the column), I got:
RANK, POSTS
001, 14,486 (you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him, and one of the most helpful and knowledgeable around)
030, 2362
120, 745
210, 303
300, 174
390, 117
447, 99 (so, 446 users had 100 posts or more)

Somewhere around the 250th to 300th most-frequent poster, I started seeing lots of names I didn't recognize.

Users 421 through 450 ranged from 109 to 99 posts. Looks like just over half of those 30 members have posted this year.

Greg Guimond
11-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks Ghost, that is interesting and not what I would have expected. Is there a way to see what the total annual post count is on a year to year basis?

Carl C
11-29-2012, 07:00 AM
The winner is......................MOP! His rocking chair stopped rocking; I hope he is OK. :)

I bet Cuda had more but his are gone now.

glashole
11-29-2012, 07:26 AM
I didn't even know it was a race until now

just 10 posts behind Parnell

watch your back buddy I am in the mirror

Team Jefe
11-29-2012, 07:52 AM
I Guess....

Team Jefe
11-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I had....

Team Jefe
better get my....

Team Jefe
post count...

Team Jefe
11-29-2012, 07:55 AM
inflated a bit.:wavey:

Team Jefe
11-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Not that I have anything is substacne to say.

gcarter
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
So, it's:
Phil
Me
Jim
Matty
and ;
Carl!
The next two are no longer users
Bill
Scot
Ed
And a bunch in the same range.

OK guys, here's your chance to make a difference!;)

Just Say N20
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I haven’t taken the time to look at the stats. Is that Bill - me? Can’t be. Mike (Ghost) is currently at 3,479 or 748 ahead of me. And not only did he join 2 years behind me, each of his posts usually had like 5,000 words!

Yikes. :eek:

Ghost
11-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Droppin my average.

Jraysray
11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Merry

Jraysray
Christmas

Jraysray
Y'all

Ed Donnelly
11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
WOW I'm in the top 10 of active posters ??...Ed

Ghost
11-29-2012, 11:18 AM
What I thought was interesting is how many people had reached a certain post count (say, the 100 post threshhold which had been mentioned, as an example).

Instinct generally was that maybe 100 people had at least 100 posts, and while I thought it was higher than that, I thought maybe 200 was closer to right. In reality, nearly 450 people had posted 100 times. I found that pretty interesting. Also, I was impressed how many people were still around. Sure, some have come and gone, but there are a LOT of people still active. More than I'd have guessed. I suspect one of the things that means is that there may be a contingent who stays around and reads a lot more than they ever post. That might explain some of the "surprises" in the math of post counts and persistence. Or not.

Quick aside, one of the most prolific posters who has gone away has one of my favorite screen names: Chrome Gorilla.

roadtrip se
11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Ghost said:

Quick aside, one of the most prolific posters who has gone away has one of my favorite screen names: Chrome Gorilla.

You can find Scott on Facebook. And he still ain't right....

Ed Donnelly
11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
Cuda had 11,609 posts when he left...Ed

gcarter
11-29-2012, 02:01 PM
"I haven’t taken the time to look at the stats. Is that Bill - me?"

It's "Bill the Hedgehog"

olredalert
11-29-2012, 05:58 PM
----Could be this Bill (S), but George knows Im around somewhere. Since Bert and I (mostly Bert) started the Fino sight I just mostly come on here and see whose bitchin and post something only if it helps someone else (and sometimes me)!!!.......Bill S

----You beat me to the key, George,,,LOL!!!

Ghost
11-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Lol, rt.

mattyboy
11-30-2012, 06:30 AM
can anyone point me to the section for most posts proven false by snopes or most political threads started against the wishes of the site owner?

Greg Guimond
11-30-2012, 06:37 AM
What is a "snope" ? I'm still wondering if the total post count for this site has gone up or down over the years.

maddad
11-30-2012, 06:46 AM
can anyone point me to the section for most posts proven false by snopes or most political threads started against the wishes of the site owner?

I lurk enough to see where this is headed....

roadtrip se
11-30-2012, 08:29 AM
What I really like are the posts where somebody comes in and let's say, "just put's it out there", and people react accordingly, defending against whatever the "putter-out-there" said, and then that person sobers up or calms down or realizes what a crap storm they have created or whatever, and starts deleting stuff as fast as they can leaving the reactions to their junk to stand on their own, and typically out of context.

Two real remedies, and software driven, too. Fix the quoting function here and shut off the self-delete function after a few minutes from the posting time. If you are going to put it out there, then you should have to leave it out there for all to see.

Of course then, folks wouldn't have an incomplete set of data points to editorialize on ad infinitum post mortem. What fun is that?

gcarter
11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Todd, fixing the quote feature is good, after all, it's a basic software function.

However your other idea sucks in my opinion. People delete and edit for other reasons than covering their asses.
I happen to have several rebuild threads on the site that I continually make corrections and enhancements to. Folks say they enjoy them, and I'm continually trying to improve them. I would feel highly restricted if that happened. That happens to be one of the reasons I haven't posted any thing of importance on "the other site". I think they've gone too far in protecting themselves, and are probably excluding themselves from meaningful content.

Donzi Vol
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
I haven't been posting much lately, and I'm really not sure why. I have been lurking, as some like to say, but haven't decided to contribute much. I think that life has just gotten in the way because I don't do much on d.org or facebook anymore either.

It's actually been a little liberating now that I think about it. I would recommend anyone who gets wound up in these heated discussions (like some other threads going right now) to take a step back and breathe for a bit. I'm not suggesting the, "I'm done" or "This is my last post" kind of thing. I'm just suggesting stepping away for a day or two and spend some time with God, your wife, husband, kids, dog, cat, boat, car, job, or any combination of those things and rest your mind before coming back to post. I used to be right there in the mix of the firestorms, but don't see much redeeming value in it as I look back.

As for the people in the community (being online or at events), most everyone has been a pleasure to get to know. I wouldn't trade the friendships that have grown through the years for anything.

All the best,
David

roadtrip se
11-30-2012, 10:26 AM
George said...

Todd, fixing the quote feature is good, after all, it's a basic software function.

However your other idea sucks in my opinion. People delete and edit for other reasons than covering their asses.
I happen to have several rebuild threads on the site that I continually make corrections and enhancements to. Folks say they enjoy them, and I'm continually trying to improve them. I would feel highly restricted if that happened. That happens to be one of the reasons I haven't posted any thing of importance on "the other site". I think they've gone too far in protecting themselves, and are probably excluding themselves from meaningful content.

George, it's your loss if you don't want to post on the other site, as there is knowledge and experience resident there that might have saved you some aggravation with your resto, just like there is here. I have noticed that you do ask questions on both sites, though. Your call.

As for the timed delete functionality sucking, I agree with you under normal circumstances. The sad part about the CYA'ers, is that anyone that sees their junk can do a print screen and save it, so they fool no one normally, as it just gets circulated via back channels to whomever needs to see it. As I said before, the problem is for those who come in later and see it, and react to it, and make up opinions about people, without a complete fact set. That can create real damage in the community and people leave.

As for site owners covering themselves, I would think some of what was posted and deleted here this week could be useful evidence in a lawsuit, so who really has the exposure issue?

jl1962
11-30-2012, 10:41 AM
+1 Donzi Vol!

People aren't perfect and neither is the internet :eek:.

BUT the good far outweighs the bad.

Much better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Take a deep breath, give thanks and move on.

gcarter
11-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Todd, I didn't say I don't post to the other site, just that I don't post things of importance there, because I lose control of it.
That's important to me.

The other reason I don't participate a lot is, sometimes it takes days for someone to respond.

roadtrip se
11-30-2012, 01:57 PM
George said:

Todd, I didn't say I don't post to the other site, just that I don't post things of importance there, because I lose control of it.
That's important to me.

The other reason I don't participate a lot is, sometimes it takes days for someone to respond.

George, the control thing is a good thing, as there is active moderation going on. Pretty rare a fire gets going like it did here this week. Have you ever thought of asking to have a post modified or have it re-opened, if you wish to make a change? As for the activity level, it pretty much looks like 4% or less of the members are “active” here, so I would hardly suggest this is a bastion of activity either.

olredalert
11-30-2012, 06:40 PM
----Pretty serene on the other side of the fence. Kinda like it!......Bill S

BUIZILLA
11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
That's important to me. George, thanks for the call today..... I checked tonight, and there are NO controls on the Restoration Section, so your free to do as you wish.

Jim

Greg Guimond
11-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Weird but it seems like the quote function works for some but not for others.

gcarter
11-30-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks Jim!

BUIZILLA
11-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Weird but it seems like the quote function works for some but not for others. i'm special :p

maddad
11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Weird but it seems like the quote function works for some but not for others.

I'm more special

maddad
11-30-2012, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Just say 406 made a thread on how to quote a post even though the code's a little screwy. If you delete the space in the front set, and delete $originalposter and replace it with the user name you want to quote, delete {$pagetext} and paste in what you want to quote, it'll show up like it did in my last post.

maddad
11-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Aw man, Dad's being such a jerk, says I can walk on the water, I don't need a damn Donzi.

Of course, you could put anything in there.

Phil S
11-30-2012, 08:23 PM

I just felt my IQ drop a couple of points by just reading about the varying levels of "honesty."

Phil S
11-30-2012, 08:25 PM

I just felt my IQ drop a couple of points by just reading about the varying levels of "honesty."

hardcrab
11-30-2012, 08:35 PM

offshore ginger is definatly "special"

katanna
11-30-2012, 09:46 PM
I dont think its fair to judge the site or the members by their posts. I visit the site several times a day and up until the last week it has been great. I have done several boat restorations, including deck offs- 27 magnum sport, 28 magnum maltese, 16 glastron carlson, and an 18 python. In the past I have spent 20 years in the marine buisness and was certified in mercruiser and crusader. I spent a few years compaining a 33 fountain in B class. None of this makes me an expert, but reading forums such as this allows me to get better and learn from others mistakes.
I bought my Minx to enjoy the smaller lakes near my home in southern Michigan. Was tempted to buy a top gun, but that would limit my boating to the weekends due to the drive to the big water. My first winter project, larger tabs, has already been completed. The full hydraulic steering should arrive any day. If I like the way it handles after the upgrades, I will most likely install a whipple next spring. I came to this site with the intention of learning how to best set these hulls up for rougher water so I can still get out and enjoy the bigger lakes of Michigan.

Lately I look at the "whats new" section and it makes me switch to other sites. I have no idea what happened in the past nor do I care. The best way for this site to succeed in my opinion is to let new members see what a great place it is without the b.s. Times change and members come and go, It would be unfortunate to lose a new one if he happened upon this site in the last few days and thought this is what it is about.

The important thing is its going to be 60 and sunny here in Michigan on Monday and I will be out boating!

Steve

f_inscreenname
11-30-2012, 10:11 PM
i'm special :p

Really?? :smile:

Such an annoying simple code fix.

Ed Donnelly
11-30-2012, 10:16 PM
f_inscreenname

Simple for some people.

I have just managed the copy and paste thingy....Ed

Ghost
11-30-2012, 11:02 PM
I dont think its fair to judge the site or the members by their posts

I agree (if you mean post counts, which I inferred was what you meant). Post counts are useful to a degree, as they clearly indicate one slice of the users' activity. But they don't measure people reading the site, to one of your points. It could be huge, it could be zero, and it's simply a blind spot relative to the posting stats. Also, there are different kinds of activity. Some of it is just chatting with friends about whatever, independent of the boating world. Which is fine, and can foster community (or do the exact opposite, to another of your points). Post counts don't differentiate types of posting, so they don't say much on that front.

Not sure if you can see the photos when not logged in. I thought not. Which would suggest a lot of zero-post named-users were real readers, trackable to a degree. Especially if their last activity dates are updated upon login, which most readers probably do if that's needed to see pics.

BUIZILLA
12-01-2012, 06:40 AM
there is really no *secret* nor is there anything *special* about how to quote a statement...

just copy and paste what you want to have quoted and put the word *quote* in brackets before the pasted statement and the word */quote* after the pasted statement

viola!! your done

now, you can be *special too :wavey:

Ed Donnelly
12-01-2012, 06:54 AM
just copy and paste what you want to have quoted and put the word *quote* in brackets before the pasted statement and the word */quote* after the pasted statement

(*quote*)viola!! your done*/quote*

Lets see if I did it...Ed

Nope

BUIZILLA
12-01-2012, 07:47 AM
(*quote*)viola!! your done*/quote*

LOL Ed...

Greg Guimond
12-01-2012, 07:56 AM
[quote]just copy and paste what you want to have quoted and put the word *quote* in brackets before the pasted statement and the word */quote* after the pasted statement[quote]

Thanks Jim....ok here is my try ........no good

Greg Guimond
12-01-2012, 08:00 AM

second try .........

joseph m. hahnl
12-01-2012, 08:20 AM
there is really no *secret* nor is there anything *special* about how to quote a statement...

We've gone over this quote things at least a 100 times:biggrin: this year.

The the really wierd thing is it was working last week with out having to remove the white space inbetween the Bracket and Q " [ Q / [Q" and doing a copy and past.

eversince the:nilly:and the:outtahere: I haven't felt :worthy: to post to all the:kingme: and:cistineb: that have :idea: on how :computer: sites should:newzealand: in fear of:lame2:

:jestera::jester::D:tooth::rofl:

I just made that up!!!! I can pretty much can count all the regular name on my fingers and toes. At this point I know who will try to be hostile and who will be positive in there post.

To be honest non of you compare to my X wife, and if I lived through that! :wink:

I beleive if you write something that puts your foot in your mouth and some one calls you on it, it should be your option to delete it. Regardless if you do or don't some one will allways bring it back into the light.

I know that I personally don't post as much, just for the fact that most of the questions asked don't pertain to my experience. Not to mention "which means I'm going to" I have been busy with things that don't stream through a fiber optic wire.

The post counts don't take into consideration the quality of a post or the length per character count .SG usually has some pretty lengthy post:rlol:

Greg Guimond
12-01-2012, 12:05 PM
As long as we are exploring site stats, it is interesting that 7,410 of the 12,000 members of this site have never posted once. That is a lot of lurkers!

gcarter
12-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Greg, this site reminds me in some ways of a church I visited many years ago.
It was in a small town of maybe 5,000 folks, and the church dated from the '20's, but they claimed to have 17,000 members.
Of course, that's pretty easy to do if you never remove anyone after they pass away.

Morgan's Cloud
12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
this site reminds me in some ways of a church I visited many years ago.
It was in a small town of maybe 5,000 folks, and the church dated from the '20's

Goodness gracious George , are you saying that you have only been in church once since the (possibly) late '20's ? :shocking:
No wonder you suffer under boat ownership and the TR22 has been taking so long.

I think I better send you an on-line 'bless you' and some :angel: :angel:

:biggrin.:

OK ,, I'm gonna burn in h**l ... it's an old work joke .. lol

Greg Guimond
12-01-2012, 05:18 PM
And 9,380 members have posted less then 3 times .............

I tell you what, I certainly hope most of the lurkers at least send the site owner some small amount of cash. No darn wonder the quote function does not work, too many freeloaders.

Just Say N20
12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Why would you expect that this site would be different than life? There are always going to be "fringe" people. Most people are polite and post helpful information. There are always going to be a few that just want to stir the pot.

I say that for a site that is basically un-moderated, people treat each other pretty darn well. I love DONZI's and enjoy visiting this site many times a day. While I haven't personally met MOST of the peope on the site, I consider them friends.

Ed Donnelly
12-01-2012, 07:19 PM

viola!! your done

now, you can be *special too

I bet you all think I finally figured it out all by myself

YEAH SURE.............Ed

Just Say N20
12-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I tell you what, I certainly hope most of the lurkers at least send the site owner some small amount of cash. No darn wonder the quote function does not work, too many freeloaders.

I have "suggested" to Harbormaster that he fix the quote function but to no avail. I try and manually fix posts in the for sale section where I have been given moderator capabilities, but beyond that. . . .

I can't imagine what he is facing with his cancer situation. I imagine in his world, understandably, that has to be pretty far down the list.

Carl C
12-01-2012, 07:28 PM
He is going through some very serious treatments. Lots of time in the hospital. He had to sell his Donzi. It's very sad to see. :(