PDA

View Full Version : Ghost's 24 Cig Project

Brian41
11-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I read in another thread where you guys are hungry for project threads.

Ghost (Mike) brought his 24 Cig from MD to MI this year for some upgrades and the snowball started with this.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 09:51 AM
The project started out to upgrade the 292 inline 6 cyl engines (more HP), clean up engine bay and change out 1 of the Alpha drives to a counter rotating.

The disassembly and snowball beings going down the hill.

gcarter
11-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Keep up the pictures Brian and Mike!
Ya got some real antiquities there. I've not seen trim pumps and brackets like that before.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Engines were torn down,cleaned and sent to machine shop in their quest for more HP (my favorite part of the business). Shortly after dropping off the engines we start cleaning up the engine bay for repaint. Thats when the snowball takes a turn into deeper snow.

Just Say N20
11-26-2012, 10:14 AM
I’m thinking I must be loosing my mind.

I thought Ghost’s boat was already done, and the twin I-6 engines were replaced with a single big block.

I was sure I saw pictures of it running that were taken by f_inscreename.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Now decisions had to be made in what direction to take knowing it needs a transom and stringer work. The 292's were going to take a lot of $$$$ to get them were Mike wanted them and we still had to deal with the drive issues. We talked back and forth for a couple of weeks when I finally convinced him that a single big block and Bravo drive was the best route. Just so happens I had said pieces on the shelf looking for a new home.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Sorry Mike wrong project, here we go.

496 HO with a Bravo X drive. Mike added the Stainless marine exhaust, HP gimbal and Hardin stainless sea pump to make this a modern and reliable package.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes he had use of the boat after phase 1 of this a project.....its back now for phase 2.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Time to remove the fine job that previous owner had.......well "done" and start with doing it the right way. As you can see in the picture of the transom plate the bottom drain hole was cut out to 2 inches and was solid glassed so water can not get to the wood after final drilling.

Carl C
11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
What is phase 2? :)

Brian41
11-26-2012, 10:51 AM
New transom was installed and braces had to be made to secure the sagging deck area that supports the hatch. Only pic I have of the hatch supports are after phase 1 was done.

Scott Pearson
11-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Brian,
Thanks for sharing! Looks real nice. The original set up reminded me of the Bertram Baron that was on ebay awhile back. The name of the boat was "Sitting Duck" A guy boat the boat and I think is done with the restoration. It also had twin 6cyls. Said it sounded really different when they were both running with the through hulls. Like a 12 cyl. on steriods!

Brian41
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Next we cut out the new Bravo hole and completely glassed in the outside of the transom so we had a clean slate to work with. Mike wanted the exhaust as close to the water line as we could get it and all holes through the transom were oversized and glassed to size.The transom was then gel coated and blocked flat.

Be patient Carl phase 2 will start when I finish with posting of phase 1. This time I will post as we go, being winter I have more time.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Now it was time to set up the stringers and clean up the rest of the engine bay. We also had to add battery and trim pump pads. Because we had to remove the center stringer we added 8 layers of staggered 1708 to inside of the engine bay between the 2 new stringers.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Custom engine mounts were fabed and we took the rest of the engine bay down to bare glass blocking it out for a smooth gel coat finish.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 11:43 AM
The forward compartment under the cockpit was ruff with 3 holes from 2 transducers and a anode that had to be glassed in then gel was added. The sea strainer and bilge pump were installed and custom cooler is going to be part of phase 2.

Craig S
11-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Nice...that's gonna be a great running Cig!

Brian41
11-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Transom done in the original red without stripping. Time to install engine, transom assembly, drive and build new wire harness from bay to dash using all modern wiring utilizing weather pack connectors and shrink tubing sealing all ends.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
In July she was off to MD for the remainder of the season for some boating before we start on her again this winter.

RockyS18
11-26-2012, 12:22 PM
That's amazing that you did so much work between 10:41am and 1:18pm! :worthy:

It's coming along really well, I like the shade of red. Keep those pics coming this winter!

Ghost
11-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Phase 2 will be a grab bag of small jobs, far less exciting than last year. I've made a punchlist and am prioritizing it now. The biggest task will be trailer freshening. Then things like a cooler below the cockpit floor, maybe some dash and/or other interior work, etc. There's quite a list of possibilities, but the budget's pretty limiting this season. (Eventually the whole teak deck and surrounding glass will be refinished, but that's phase 3, already scheduled for winter of 2013-2014.)

The nice thing is, as some have noted, that the boat became usable again after phase 1, and there's nothing happening this winter that can't be wraped up in short order such that the boat is usable again. (Whereas last year's project got a lot bigger once Brian got into the grinding in the motorbox. As he noted, the goal was to rebuild the inline sixes and hop them up a bit. I neither planned nor budgeted for switching to a big single, even though my blue-sky version of the boat was just that, same as with the twin-engine Nova Marine I sold in the Spring. But once the need for a complete transom rebuild was apparent, it was a no-brainer to go to a single. So I switched gears and started hunting for money to buy a big-block. As well as designing the exhaust and such.)

Beyond that, I also have some decisions about canvas that I'm working on. Some of which will happen next year, some may be put off for quite a while, or not. But SOMETHING will need to be done by the time the teak deck is refinished. Once redone, that will never see ANY sun or rain unless I'm actually out using the boat.

One thing I'd emphasize more from last year's project (it was briefly noted above, but it's worth expanding) is the work Brian did to re-shape the deck just in front of the transom. Over the years, the heavy motorbox cover had caused the center of the deck to sag in front of the transom. It was at least an inch low in the center, probably more. And not surprisingly, the hatch didn't fit anymore. One front corner sat perpetually popped up, because of the difference in the shape of the hatch from the frame on which it sat.

Somewhere along the line, a prior owner had tried to brace the deck, but it wasn't enough. Brian did an amazing job of gradually jacking the deck up, restoring the proper curvature, and fitting and glassing a set of 4 triangular braces to hold it and support the hatch. They extend maybe 6 or 8 inches down the transom and out under the deck.

In mid-August, when Brian was wrapping up Phase 1, I actually got to share the joy in person as the hatch was re-mounted. The big question was would it fit, or had the hatch also warped over the years under all that stress, such that it would need to be re-shaped also. The good news: the hatch hadn't warped, and it sat down perfectly when re-mounted on the hinges--a real testament to Brian's craftsmanship.

I think this is in another thread, but the boat is now a completely different animal. With the old sixes she was a 43 mph boat. Tons of torque, but no top end. With the added power of the single (425 HP instead of 330ish), and no inefficiency from twins, and dropping maybe 300-600 pounds (she sits 4+ inches higher at the stern now), she's a MUCH faster boat. She'll get up over 60 any time, and a little better under light load. And she burns about 1/3 less fuel than with the twins. It's been a big win on nearly every front.

Brian41
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
The amazing part is that in this economy we can get $13,440.00 an hour...... but we are quick for the guys that have to have it now.

The boat is here now and phase 2 starts in a couple weeks. We are building a new 70x16 booth for our glass and grind area and when progress resumes we will post updated pics.

jl1962
11-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Looks great!

Did you get to run it much?

Ghost
11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Yes! Maiden voyage was August 17th. Roadtrip brought out his 22 and HotShot came out with me in the Cig, keeping me off the rocks and otherwise out of trouble as we went around Grosse Ile and around Detroit River Light. I splashed her back here in MD on the 19th, and pretty much had her out 3-5 times a week until I pulled her on Halloween. So, I'd guess maybe 60-100 hours on board in 10 weeks...

jl1962
11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
That's pretty good - about 70 hours (maybe more) in 70 days.

I think I ran my boat a little over 30 hours in a little under 30 days - wish I could use it more!

Conquistador_del_mar
11-26-2012, 01:49 PM
What a beautiful and practical boat! :superman: Brian, you have done some wonderful looking work there. Mike, do you need a set of trim tabs? Bill

Ghost
11-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks, but she runs great without the tabs, just trim adjustments. And she's almost a foot wider than the Classics, so roll is not as much of an issue as many are used to. So, I'll happily save the weight and expense (and clutter) back there.

Inferno
11-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Great job..looking forward to seeing it at the Awakening.

Lively-one
11-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Gorgeous Cig. I love the simplicity of this boat and yet it has some really special touches. Great work!

Ghost
11-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks all, it's greatf1``````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````

Sorry, my dog took over my post there. Lemme try again.

It's great to have a perfectionist like Brian doing this sort of work. Stan, I hope you'll not only see her in Jamestown, but take her out for a spin too.

Morgan's Cloud
11-27-2012, 12:40 PM
A fantastic boat well worth the effort and expense. It looks great.
Can't wait to see some running shots .. (Please .....)

Is the engine stock 425hp / 496 ?
It looks like you came up a bit on the X too.. what is it now ?
What size prop are you running at this point ?

For some strange reason I have an overwhelming urge to know everything about how this thing runs. :D

ps/ that was funny Phil about how much they got done ... lol

Conquistador_del_mar
11-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Was the engine difficult to install? It looks like there is less than 1" in front of the engine! Bill

Ghost
11-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, stock 496 425 HP, except for the Stainless Marine exhaust and the mufflers. I suspect the power is virtually unchanged by those.

X is not raised (actually a fraction of an inch lower than the standard).

She's turning a Mirage Plus 25". I think it's a hair too much. I *think* she's only turning about 4600 or so. I'll have an accurate tach by next year and will continue with prop testing. Sadly, my guess is without labbing something, she wants a Mirage Plus 24 inch. Which they don't make. But we'll see with the new tach in.

Fore and aft it's a little tight, but not ridiculous, in the engine compartment. Maybe 3 inches? Trying to recall what Brian unbolted to drop the motor in. I seem to recall the best way was to lower it in sideways and then turn it 90 degrees.

Don't have many shots underway yet, but here is something.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4026/11609090.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5609/58466789.jpg

Conquistador_del_mar
11-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I would like to suggest a Revolution 4 prop if you are up to trying something different. I tried a few props on my 25' Martini and it worked like a champ in every catagory. Bill

MDonziM
11-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Nice clean looking job, beautiful boat with great lines. Congrats.