PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Vance 17"

6t5ive
11-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Just wanted to say hi and thank you for these awesome forums they have been a big help to me. I don't have a real Donzi but this site is the closest thing to information I found on my boat. I have a Holman Moody 302 with a volvo 270 outdrive and it's got a 'Holman Moody Marine' tag on the stern drive instead of "270". I got the boat as a project from a buddy about 4 months ago and the last time it ran and seen water was about 10 yrs ago. I knew nothing about boats so I tore the engine down to re-seal and gasket it and now at the point of trying to get it started, but its been a basket case. I'm a hotrodder and have always had chevys so this is my first in dealing with a F*rd :nilly:

My plans are to go through and re-wire as much as i can, remove the gas tank and clean it, go through the stern drive and inspect it's guts, I have to build a backseat and stitch up all new seats for it and last but not least, remove the oxidization from it.

Just Say N20
11-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Welcome!

Congratulations on the Vance. As you have already realized, they have many similarities to DONZIs.

As questions arise with your project, post away, and I think you will be surprised at the knowledge base, and willingness of people to help on this site.

mattyboy
11-22-2012, 10:58 AM
looks like the holman moody engine has been replaced with a newer ford get the block casting numbers from near the starter the hm serial tag should be on the bell housing the drive should have a tag on the top

the newer 5.0 ho have a different firing order(351w) than an older 302 so you will need to confirm what vintage 302 you have and what cam might be in it

you'll want to search for 300evil he just re did a vance with a 289

good luck ask away oh and don't get freaked out the distributor is in the wrong place LOL

6t5ive
11-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Many thanks everyone! I found very very little info on "Vance" so its that much more intriguing to me, something about a possible lawsuit and only a handful of these things were made is what I could find. I actually found some videos on 300evil's youtube had a nice sounding engine, kinda gave me a little ambition with this block because this thing has literally fought every single step of the way.

The block is actually stamped with numbers that match the holman moody tag (8-3118). At the time I had the heads off, I noticed they were different, one had a 302 cast into it and the other one had the FoMoCo stamp. I was told they are the same size but one is def newer. I did have an old rusted marine dizzy, but I went for the GM style hei setup for now to get the engine running then I'll convert it (and other parts) to marine before it hits the water.... next year if I'm lucky. Right now the only marine part is the alternator only because I bought it done up that way but in the past this thing ran all standard fuel pump, starter, carb and alternator for years.

All I been doing is just cranking this thing trying to get it started and through more research found that it could have one of three or four firing orders and didn't really ID the cam or anything when I had it apart as I just assumed...lol but I'll keep trying different things until I get it.

I laugh at it now - but a few days after I bought the boat I went to a few boat shops here in town to "pick up some parts" taking them a few of the HM stamped pieces and some questions about the motor and they had no idea what I was talking about, which confused me...lol Finally did some research on the intertubes and really started wondering what I got myself into but I like old stuff and I'm aimin to get it restored again no matter what.

Heres the tag, also big thumbs up for whoever before me took 8 grit sandpaper to it...

OFFSHORE GINGER
11-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Very cool boat and i like it alot .

mattyboy
11-22-2012, 08:25 PM
D8HM-3118-1-R/W- I/O

CPM-235-4V-C6HM-MB1

CR 10:1 TIM 12"

1968 302 ci 235 HP 4 bbl standard rotation raw water cooled I/O 10:1 compression 12 degrees BTDC timing

6t5ive
11-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Great! Thanks for the decode!