PDA

View Full Version : Cool Old Ad

Greg Guimond
11-21-2012, 09:25 PM
I stumbled on this old ad...........

Just Say N20
11-21-2012, 09:38 PM
There’s a name you see over and over and over in Sea Race.

Cool ad. Thanks for posting.

jl1962
11-22-2012, 06:52 AM
Bob Magoon was my grandmother's opthamologist in Ft. Lauderdale. I believe he operated on her cataracts.

I was only about 10 but we had our blue Donzi by then, I remember her telling me that her eye doctor raced boats - little did I know!

smidgen too
11-22-2012, 10:01 AM
Here is one from my collection of Doc Magoon after winning Catalina. :beer:

Greg Guimond
11-23-2012, 09:35 AM
The Mule's bottom was evidently the result of Don Aronow and Bob Magoon guidance. This is second hand info BUT I will say that over the time I have owned it, I have relayed the specifics to many people and the background seems to check out. Grizz was one of the people who commented to me before his passing that he felt the story was a valid one, however, I have nothing in writing that could prove it short of this excerpt...........

"one day i was doing an anesthesia rotation and wound up in bob magoon's (opthamological surgeon) operatory. as we chatted while he placed a new lens we found out that i did the same aerobic class as his wife and his best friend was Don Aronow. it turns out he was an offshore racer in the late 70's with Don. when i told him i had a 74 baby upside down in my garage and i was modifying it he was all excited and that saturday he and don showed up at my house. it was like two big kids arguing over what should be done. unfortunately don was assasinated several weeks later, but bob kept track of my progress over the years. hows that for donzi history?"