PDA

View Full Version : "classic" future build quality improvements ?

silverghost
11-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Now that BAJA has just purchased the Donzi Marine boat brand and by their new updated DONZI website has indicated their intent to resume production of the much loved 16, 18, 22 Classic series of small speedboats~~

What possible build quality changes & improvements, future options , engine & drive power ,graphics , accessory options, etc. might older Classic owners suggest Donzi implement into future Classics they will build in the future ?

This thread is not in any way intended to Bash older Classic build quality.
It is only a way for forum member readers to make positive suggestions to improve the future build quality, and over-all lifespan and consumer value, and future buyer's interest in these much beloved Classic series speedboats.

In Short~~~

What future changes, options, etc might cause YOU to want to go-out Today and actually Purchase a brand New~~~
DONZI "CLASSIC" ???

Perhapps Donzi might read your suggestions and actually decide to include them in the future Classics they may eventually build ???
BRAD~

Carl C
11-19-2012, 05:28 AM
To me there are a few things that they need to KEEP. The composite stringers and transom and the solid hull lay-up. To me a cored hull is a ticking time bomb. No chopperguns. Now for improvement? I think that the hull cracking issue has been taken care of but maybe a little more thickness in the engine room floor since a lot of us run these boats off-shore. Maybe higher quality seating. Better attention to wiring and rigging. Better tabbing to fuse the liner to the hull. On the boats that have the color in paint they need to have skilled painters do that work. An engine hatch that fits better and doesn't vibrate. Offer the 525/XR as an option. It goes very well with this boat and the speed is still safe. STV has been selling 100 mph 18 foot tunnel hulls for years without lawsuits.

My comments are more directed to the 22s since that is where my experience is.

Greg Guimond
11-19-2012, 07:05 AM
And also take a note from you Carl and put a floor in the bow with foot stops to allow the driver and passenger to brace themselves and stop any gear in the bow from sliding back.

Carl C
11-19-2012, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Some would like that and some wouldn't. Maybe offer two versions. I really like mine opened up.

mario
11-19-2012, 07:35 AM
lets just hope they dont build them like a baja

VetteLT193
11-19-2012, 07:36 AM
I think Cig has a really good thing going with Lip Ship. I think it would be smart to either start working with Lip Ship or find another high-end rigger to do some of the boats.

The 20' cigs with the Gladiator style interior I find pretty sweet. I think it would work well in both 18 and 22 if they offered it. Like a Mini ZR Comp style.

Other than that it's hard to say.... depends on where they go with the brand. If Donzi, including the classics, are custom order only it really doesn't matter. If they build the Classics as a production model / work filler between custom orders there is a lot more that they can 'do' as options, etc. like a special edition pad bottom maybe? bring back the rocker Blackhawk bottom for an arenson edition?

RockyS18
11-19-2012, 09:37 PM
I'd like to see some more high-tech options and an option for a 525/XR. A rearranged dashboard with a VesselView would be a good add-on to the 525 package. Incorporating stuff from the bigger boats would also be nice- maybe options for bumper and anchor holders in the hatch (I'm adding those this winter).

I have a switch that has "Cockpit Lights" engraved under it, but no cockpit lights from the factory. It would be nice if they put cockpit lights in with that or at least left it blank because now I feel obligated to add cockpit lights. Speaking of lights, underwater lights in the color of the boat's stripe would be cool (or you could choose a color for those of us that have black stripes)

Carl, is there a thread on the inside of your bow? I really like what you did there, I'm interested in doing something similar.

mattyboy
11-20-2012, 07:00 AM
I would hope that Donzi is listening to this input. They have taken free R&D from the Donzi community in the past . The stir Pearson's 18 caused at nat'l gatherings in the early 2000s was the inspiration for the 40th anniv edition. Also blueliners custom ordered Aronow was the inspiration for the gt/shelby.

biggiefl
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Definately better foam in the seats. I also agree on a more open bow under deck, what a waste as-is. A mirror or better finish on hatch underrside and a better fit. Windshield air deflectors that flip up. Mid ship cleats and a gas gauge that actually works.

Carl C
11-21-2012, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE]Carl, is there a thread on the inside of your bow? I really like what you did there, I'm interested in doing something similar.[/QUOTE]

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?44706-I-removed-my-forward-storage-bin-today