PDA

View Full Version : Original owner's?

BLACKBOX
11-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't know how to set up a poll, but I'd be interested in how many site members are original (Donzi) owners - just curious!

Carl C
11-18-2012, 01:16 PM
I am! Mine was delivered from Pier 57. Would you like help setting up the poll? How would I word it?

Morgan's Cloud
11-18-2012, 01:34 PM
If you mean buying a brand new Donzi , unused and still having it , well I could never afford a new one.

So instead I just got a 21 year old one in '87 and spent 4 x's the amount doing it up :banghead: :kingme:

BLACKBOX
11-18-2012, 02:41 PM
I was just curious, is all - if Carl would like to set a poll up, that's great - I was particularly interested in the Classics, but it could be set up as a simple yes to the question, or broken down by boat models or delivery year. I just don't want anyone to take it the wrong way and see it as some kind of elitist thing, (especially with the high cost of performance boats), that's not my intention. Just something for the fun of it. For example, Mr. X told me mine was the last 16 he tested - I just think that's kind of interesting.

mattyboy
11-18-2012, 03:02 PM
what I think you will find will find is owners like Carl who have purchased new over the last 10 years. you will not find owners who have owned since new in the 80's cause they are not active web forum types. The LGDCC has been contacted by a few of these owners who are now older and the boat now longer fits their boating style looking for values and help selling. You will also find original boats from the early donzi years that while the original owner is older or has passed that the boats have stayed in the family and a new generation is now enjoying them.

gcarter
11-18-2012, 03:46 PM
What Matty said.
The only person (original owner) I can think of that had an older Donzi was Griz and his sister had a '60's 16. As most know, Griz passed owning two other Donzis, but, I assume his sister still has the 16 in South Florida.
I don't think you'll find a large number of active members, maybe fewer than a dozen.
From the way a lot of members think about their boats, there's nothing to be desired about purchasing new. It's all about the adventure of resurrection and restoration.
For most others, it's the only way it's affordable.

BLACKBOX
11-18-2012, 03:58 PM
OK, thanks

Carl C
11-18-2012, 04:35 PM
It's not elitist at all. I couldn't find a nice 22 Classic used locally so I started browsing on-line. Pier 57 had a gorgeous (Yes, I'm biased) new '05 yellow 22 in stock with all the options and custom ordered by them with an aluminum Aronow fairing. I called Frankie there. He gave me a good price, he offered to take my old Hydrostream on trade and to deliver my boat and pick up the trade. I packed the wheel brgs on my trailer and made sure it was ready for the long tow from Michigan to Tennessee. Then it turned out that pier 57 uses my bank for financing so that fell right into place! The whole deal was done on the fax, phone and e-mails. The boat was delivered as promised. Pier 57 rocks even though they don't sell Donzis anymore. It probably wouldn't be good to start a poll. Someone who bought their boat new is no better than those who buy used. It just all fell into place for me. It would be interesting to hear from those who still own older models that they purchased new anyway though.

BLACKBOX
11-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Carl - that's a good story, and why I was interested in other original owners. I got mine from Lightning Bay Performance Marine, now they are out of business. I waited 15 years till I was in a position to buy mine new - It meant that much to me to be the original owner of a Donzi 16. I lucked out with the timing - that was 2009! Yes, I could have gotten a used 22 for the same price, I just WANTED a new 16...! I had a 15' Bayliner I sold in 1996, and set my mind to the opposite end of the spectrum - a Donzi...and I waited... :)

mattyboy
11-20-2012, 06:49 AM
I always remember the words spoken at an event I wish I knew who said them. They made a statement at an early event back in 2000 or 2001 when referring to the common bond that Donzi people had when attending an event. the statement went like this we have a wide variety of people and backgrounds that are set aside . If you look on the docks who can't tell who designed the broom,who sells the broom,who makes the broom,who pushes the broom, or who owns the broom company, just people who love their boats love donzi and enjoy other donzi owners and their boats.(sorry I remember your words but not your name I think it may have been the AOTH that was radio webcast not sure)

that wide variety does expand into the types of ownership. everyone has their story on when they were bitten with the bug and what type of infection they develop.

Carl, some might not look at buying new being better than used, some here dump more than new to restore their boats or mod their boats to what they want. I have seen more than 100,000 put into a resto with creating original parts NLA or making custom parts to fit. on boats that retailed for less than 10k ! those owners might look at buying new as the easy and cheap way out. but that is not true either. it is just not their story or the cure for their infection. that story is to each his own.

Blackbox your story and Carl's are unique to each of you and are great stories you wanted and waited for it and that's great. I wish their were more original stories but that generation and the following ones were not really web people. We always think that these online forums is the entire donzi community but they really are not. I have encountered at least 10 donzi owners on my lake that are older than me 60-80 that when i mentioned this forum they don't surf not even email, I do get letters from them. most of these owners have had their boats from new since the late 60s and the 70s.

I have posted pics of a 16 that lived it's whole life on my lake the owner purchased new when he was in his late 30s with a young family I ran with them some 40 yrs later when the father took the boat for his last ride he was near 80 and in the twilight years. later that day his grandkids ran the boat and pulled it out for the season.

that owner later passed away that winter and the boat was sold and is now loved by a new owner out on the left coast. so some of these stories are a bit sad.

Carl, Blackbox I wish you a happy 40 years with your donzi how does the irish toast go " may you be buried in a casket made of 100 year old oak, grown from an acorn we plant tomorrow. :)

there are alot of great stories Jay Lurie has a great one as well maybe he will tell it. I mean for most of us the winter is here stories is all we got ;)

VetteLT193
11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Not a classic but I did buy mine new... here it is at the factory.

I don't think it matters if you buy new or used. I also don't think it matters if you buy complete or restore/fix up.

gcarter
11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Ooops!
I had better add that Tim Morris bought his Minx new here in the Orlando area, although now it's in Ontario.

SanDogDewey
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not the birth owner of my Donzi, but I adopted it and have full parental rights!

Conquistador_del_mar
11-20-2012, 01:02 PM
My good friend, Lloyd, bought this 16' new in 1967 and still has it today. Bill

jl1962
11-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Love that picture of Lloyd's 16.

I didn't buy my '67 Ski Sporter new, but fortunately my Dad bought his new...........

:wink:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Are those your brothers and sisters? Cool that you have the old pics - :yes:

jl1962
11-20-2012, 01:24 PM
My older sister and a friend. We sold the boat (and our lake house) in 1972. I lost track of the blue boat in the mid - 80s when it went to Florida in trade for a car. Both the boat and the car are probably long gone.

I've got more pictures - need to scan them in some time!

mattyboy
11-20-2012, 06:45 PM
love the pics Jay they are just great!

roadtrip se
11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Matty, that was Tom Riggle aka Tomahawk that made this observation during a radio/webcast at one of the first couple AOTH gatherings. Class statment from a class guy. What he said holds true to this day.

Lively-one
11-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Enjoyed your post mattyboy, well done and well said.

Being that we're kind of waxing nostalgic and talking about original ownership...this is a photo of me and my best girl in front of our family Donzi circa 1967. Dad bought that boat new in 66' or 67' and we had it for many years. My brother even entered race events with it...in one race a guy ran him up on shore and my brother found him afterwards and whipped his a**. As you would imagine, the prop got gnarled up in the incident and Dad had it bronzed for my brother....we were never sure if it represented a consolation prize for not finishing the race or a boxing trophy.

So, I have had this Donzi "bug" that mattyboy speaks of for about the last 45 years...

Sure wish I could find this boat again but I have no information on it.

Just Say N20
11-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Great pictures, Jay.

Got to love the Thompson (maybe Larson) in the background with the big old V4 Evinrude. You know, the ones that made all the pretty colors on the water.

jl1962
11-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Great picture, Adam. I've still got the rear view mirror for my boat - need to mount it one day.

Here's another one from days gone by:

BobinCovington
11-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Ours is still original and still in the family...Dad bought it new in 66 and we grew up skiing behind it and enjoying it with the family. My brother had it for several years and now it resides with us and we all still talk about all the memories in it. I used to ride with my dad in it (when I was 5) out to Catalina Island almost 26 miles offshore from Newport Beach Ca. I asked my mom what she was thinking letting a 5 year old go with his dad that far out in a 16 foot boat...and she said well, you know your dad.:drive:

By the way Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

BLACKBOX
11-22-2012, 09:02 PM
46 years in the family - that's awesome - the boat looks great, by the way!

Lively-one
11-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Great story Bobincovington. Enjoyed the vids as well. It's really heartwarming when you think about how this boat has traveled through life with your family.

Lively-one
11-23-2012, 09:42 PM
jl1962 said: Great picture, Adam. I've still got the rear view mirror for my boat - need to mount it one day.

Here's another one from days gone by:

Thanks Jay, enjoyed your photos as well! We used ours to ski behind all the time so we needed the rear view mirror...I think it looks kinda cool too.

Ralph Savarese
11-24-2012, 07:56 AM
My dad bought the boat new in 66 from venice marina Lindenhurst LI NY 66 18 2+3 triple hatch barrel back

mattyboy
11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
gotta love the original teleflex slotted 67 wheel.

jl1962
11-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Ralph- If you have any old pictures - please scan and post. We'd all like to see them.

Greg Guimond
11-24-2012, 09:45 AM
BobinCovington wrote..... "I used to ride with my dad in it (when I was 5) out to Catalina Island almost 26 miles offshore from Newport Beach Ca. I asked my mom what she was thinking letting a 5 year old go with his dad that far out in a 16 foot boat...and she said well, you know your dad."

Bob that is a great story and I have the "bookend" for it here on the East Coast. My Dad thought it was cool to load up our 16 with extra 6 gallon tanks and take me and my brother from Fairfield County down to the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor. Back in those days when you were coming down the Harlem River it would be sport for the locals to try and bomb you from the bridges above with rocks as you were passing underneath! We used to do the trip once a year in August when the winds on the Sound calmed down. Not sure how many miles it was. My Mom had the exact same response as yours did at the time, she just raised her hands and shrugged when a relative would ask. Fast forward 40 years and having made the same trip many times now by myself, I can say that my Dad was nuts to take us. But then again here is a guy who, at age 70, took his motorcycle on a solo trip from CT to Alaska's Bering Sea and back through the Northern Territories.:eek: The first time he tried he did not make it, so he tried a second time and was successful.

BobinCovington
11-24-2012, 11:34 AM
...sounds like we both are "chips" off the old blocks LOL Like I always say "there is a fine line between a really great story and not being around to tell it"

Wet Vette
12-15-2012, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I purchased my 1972 18 2 + 3 new from Stone Harbor Yatch Sales in New Jersey. i am in the middle of my 2nd. deck off restoration. I was young, thin and single when I bought it. a LOT has changed. the boat will not be sold while im breathing!

you are totally correct about the owners from way back not being the Forum type. i've posted a couple questions but i'm not sure i did it properly. i have to get in tune with the format.

i couldn't get thru last summer without a Donzi and my 18 was getting new stringers so i lucked out and found a 22 aniversery edition with 45 hours on it and never saw salt water(before i bought it) . i much more than doubled its hours in a month of ownership. Great boat but not as much fun as an 18.

biggiefl
12-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I did not buy my 22 new or any of the other 40 or so boats I have owned but I did buy my 13' Whaler new in 1982....well my dad bought it for my 13th B-Day from Hance & Smyth in Manahawkin, NJ. I sold it to my neighbor in 8/1986 for more than I paid for it and probably 1000 hours on it. When I moved to FL in 1998 every time I went back I would leave a note on his door telling him if he ever sells.... Well in 2004 we talked and almost negotiated a price but his son said he was going to take it to Tahoe or someplace. Well in 2006 he still had the boat and I bought it back from him 20 years to the day from when I sold it to him. I had a friend in NJ coming down and he trailered it to me. Since then I did a repower and full restoration to the original gel. I have WAAAYYY to much money in this thing but she is a show piece and I promise to never sell it as long as I can still boat.74104

Tim Morris
12-19-2012, 06:24 AM
"I don't think you'll find a large number of active members, maybe fewer than a dozen."

Thanks George. This'll help get my post count up.

I've owned used and I've owned new, but it's important
to be active; on this side of the grass, I'm sure you'll agree.