PDA

View Full Version : How much does a Classic 22 really weigh?

Dreamer Dave
11-15-2012, 07:38 PM
Thinking about up sizing. I have a crossover SUV with the factory towing package. Ford says the maximum towing weight is 4500#. Is an older Donzi (http://www.donzi.net/forums/#) Classic 22 with a full tank of gas on a painted steel trailer over this limit?

Barry Eller
11-18-2012, 07:00 AM
I will try and help you as much as I can. Most brochures state the 22 Classic weighs around 3400 lbs dry. 55 gallons of gas at average 6.0lbs per gallon: 330 lbs. My Performance aluminum two axle trailer's MSO states it is 1100 lbs. I have two batteries, 50 lbs? (est), 2 anchors, 2 fire ext, tools, dock lines, life vests, then load the boat with gear for the day, ice chest, beach bag, WIFES PURSE, and I also have a SS framed Bimini top that is very heavy, est 30 lbs, I also carry at least 1 extra prop. I would have to say I will exceed 5000 lbs. Towing capacity of the tow vehicle also includes weight of people and gear inside your tow vehicle as well. If I have 4 adults and conservatively say 150 lbs each, that is another 600 lbs. Your 4500 lb tow capacity is probably reached or exceeded when you have a full tank and gear and have not even sat down in your vehicle. That does not mean your vehicle will not pull your boat, but you will be exceeding recommended weight.

mattyboy
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
the older 22 2+3 were lighter and were listed at 2900 lbs so you are going to need to weigh the rig out plus a steel trailer is going to be heavier as well . my ford is rated at 4000 lbs and didn't have any issue with pulling the new boat just about 4000lb up to lk george but it was not in overdrive and it ate gas like there was a hole in the tank. the real issue will be stopping when you are near or over the max tow rating especially as barry said when you are loaded up for a long haul , locally quick runs to the ramp are not an issue. my ford can't pull much over 4000 lb I pulled my nephew's 23 foot azure out at a local ramp BARELY! it is probably 5000lbs total.

mattyboy
11-18-2012, 09:51 AM
let me clarify the f22 ( the first 22 2+3 not the criterions) late 70's upto 85( the 22 classic) were listed at 2900lbs the later omc chris craft and amh 22s were as Barry said 3400lbs

BUIZILLA
11-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Dreamer, what Ford SUV are we discussing here?

Dreamer Dave
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

"Grandpa's Minivan" is a Ford Flex with "Ecoboost" (AWD, 355HP, 350ft# torque). My concern is the transmission.
I have been reading the 18 vs 22 thread and I'm a little worried. But it may be all premature. I still haven't put my 18 on the local bay. Any day now I'll be able to drag it to it's new home (there's a trailer plate issue). Can't hardly wait. And it possibly (probably) can handle the local steep chop without issue.

But if it can't, I've figured out a viable solution. Store the 18 in the garage and use it on the lake my daughter lives near (Lake Houston) or the one my son likes (Lake Conroe). I have no concerns about towing it.

The marina where I keep a sailboat has a dry storage rack with no limits on how often they'd wet the hull. Thinking of selling the sailboat because my current slip fee is the same as the rack fee for a 22. So I could leave a 22 on their rack and on the rare occasion when it needs to be towed to some far off lake, borrow my daughter's Excursion.

My problem is... Sometime I feel like a nut. Sometimes I don't. 18's got nuts.... 22's don't hurt mine. :rlol:

donzidon
11-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I cooked one pulling a U-Haul many years ago. Blew the head gasket and cracked the block while I was at it. Engine never overheated according to the gauge.

Make sure that you have a transmission cooler installed if you plan to go any distance. I would be doubly careful with that turbo. Most turbocharged engines are not designed to run under boost for long. An extended uphill grade or high speed run into the wind could leave you in the hurt locker.

I can pull my X-18 back and forth to the ramp with my Transport Montana no problem, but it is five miles at ~ 40 mph. I am getting a 22, and I am thinking that will be too much. I will probably just hire someone to tow it rather than take a chance on a wreck. My dad taught me to look out for downhill curves!

BUIZILLA
11-19-2012, 07:22 AM
I cooked one pulling a U-Haul many years ago. Blew the head gasket and cracked the block while I was at it. Engine never overheated according to the gauge.

Make sure that you have a transmission cooler installed if you plan to go any distance. I would be doubly careful with that turbo. Most turbocharged engines are not designed to run under boost for long. An extended uphill grade or high speed run into the wind could leave you in the hurt locker.

I'm going to have to STRONGLY disagree with the above... the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost V6 is probably the most reliable and tested engine in Ford's lineup right now.... i'm not sure what engine your discussing here, but the twin turbo 3.5 engine will live under constant boost ALL DAY LONG. Ford doesn't put the 4 cyl Eco motor in the Flex either, just the Explorer... There is a trailer tow pkg available for the Flex that is pretty solid structure. I wouldn't just add a Uhaul hitch and ecpect everything to be ducky..

I am pretty certain the Taurus SHO platform for the 3.5 Ecoboost, is the same for the Flex...

I can't speak for the tranny, but with some common sense driving I don't think it would be a problem with a 22 at all. The trailer would need sufficient and legal brakes as well.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2012/2012_default.asp

Barry Eller
11-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey Jim, according to Florida State Trailering Laws...there are supposed to be brakes on each axle on trailers over 3000 pounds...I only have brakes on my front axle and I have no problem stopping. What is your opinion on this? I see many two axle trailers with only 1 axle brakes and I know they are being sold that way in Florida by dealers.

BUIZILLA
11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Barry... Fla laws are just goofy.... you would be very surprised how many trailers are built without brakes.... as with everything else, common sense prevails.. seems the Fla buggy builders count on you never hauling anything

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/316.261

ITTLFLI
11-23-2012, 09:27 AM
Mine Light on fuel, tandem steel trailer weighs 4540 pounds.