PDA

View Full Version : so who's got what going on this winter?

mattyboy
11-12-2012, 06:19 AM
as I sit here waiting for the heat to come on figure it might be a good time to see what others have planned for the winter project on the donzi

skunkworx, freshening, touch-up

the mechanicals are done on the hornet so i think i will be replacing the mis-matching gauges . there are sw and teleflex hd in there now . I also am replacing the missing seat locker cover thanks to Scott Pearson, he gave me a donor hatch from the ultimate needs a little glass work and some paint but will work just fine.

I have to get the docking lights working and replace the cigarette lighter on Marie's side of the boat . just little stuff on my work in progress.

I'll post up some pics once I start on the hatch

so what's everybody else got planned?

Offset
11-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Have to get my "Tidbart" sender installed, I have no fuel information at all now. I would liked to change the gauges but money may limited that upgrade. My 94 does not have a kill switch and that is something that will be installed. I would like to clean up the battery and battery tray area and move the battery selector from under the seat to the engine compartment.

Just little stuff that needs to be done.

I am hoping to do the Spring Dust Off on Lake George in 2013 and take a bit of a vacation in the 1000 Islands and pray I do not get lost!!

Good luck with your projects. It will be a long winter in Northern Ontario!

Morgan's Cloud
11-12-2012, 06:59 AM
Well , with the Mag finished now and over it's back to the St T.
The outdrive has been off for over a year now and it's time I got started on fixing the defective factory paint job that's been bugging me for a couple of years.

I'm anticipating it will be a complete strip down to bare metal and start from scratch again .

I'm hoping that I'll be able to utilise my good pal's fully founded workshop not far down the road to do the job.

It's got to be done right at every stage , so I'm sure it'll drive me nuts. Especially considering that an outdrive is the most unwieldy thing to have to sling around.
Otherwise ,there's nothing else that needs to be done.

RockyS18
11-12-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm adding another latch/catch to the hatch (rhyme not intended) since I had several close calls on rough days where every time I came smashing down the latch loosened and eventually came undone, like the day of the LGDCC fall picnic. I'm going to reposition the current one from the center to the outside starboard/port and put the new one on the other side.
I also plan on upgrading the stereo system.

undertaker
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Rocky not doing the Raylar upgrade??

undertaker
11-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Might be a shorty in my winter plans.....:D:checkered::newzealand:

Carl C
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Be careful of Raylar. There are some questions regarding their situation.

I like to go to the northern Michigan cabin in the winter and I'll be cutting and splitting lots of firewood. I'm going to heat with wood again this year. I don't have any winter sports anymore.

Shortys are good!

The boat will be getting a remote P/S fluid reservoir and that should be it other than the usual maintenance stuff.

RockyS18
11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Undertaker, a shorty is gonna be a great upgrade for your boat!

And nope, no Raylar. If I was going to do performance work on the 496 the guys over at Performance Marine are great and they're local.

craigdskilling
11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I just came across a great deal on a whipple charger for my 350.But i just did my moter2 years ago to a 383 with all the best parts,but if i go the whipple way i have to go 5.7 mpi to work.not sure what to do.my 383 has 385hp and the whipple could put me in the 500hp.i have my motor sold if i want.i think this would be awesome in front of my blackhawk.Offset where is up north are you and y didn't you come up for the gathering in the muskokas.I'm in kitchener but grew up in Sudbury Ont.by the way there is 2 whipples for sale.......:lookaroun:

BUIZILLA
11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
TWO Whipples are for sale you say? :crossfing:

mattyboy
11-13-2012, 06:17 AM
sounds like some great stuff

@Rocky have you considered the older corner hasp type hatch latches like they used on the early single hatch 18's Pearson has them on the pumpkin they have never come loose on him might be a little retro touch on the 009

RockyS18
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Matty, do you by chance have a photo of the retro hatch setup on hand? I've been searching around with no luck. If not I'll just send Pearson a PM.

mattyboy
11-13-2012, 06:34 PM
let me see might be on the work pc I'll check

katanna
11-13-2012, 06:42 PM
I have some 18 inch trim tabs to start. Hopefully my full hydraulic steering will show up next week and I can start on that. Next will be tab indicators and finally a second battery.

mattyboy
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM
rocky I believe these are perko you can see on the port side of the hatch there are 2 one on each side shoot Scott a pm he might know the model number

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=73480&d=1351043726

Scott Pearson
11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Here is the exact type you need. These are a perfect match to the originals.

http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1652-anti-rattle-latch

Conquistador_del_mar
11-14-2012, 01:01 AM
I am probably planning too much, but I hope to finish installing the Warlock engine in the next week or so followed by getting my Cig Top Gun running with a pair of 572s (big project). I would also like to install the remote control trolling motor that I already have in my Donzi center console and a couple other odd boat related projects like changing back to a conventional lower foot on the Eliminator (I lost 5-6 MPH with the IMCO lower). Rome wasn't built in a day, but 4 months is plenty of time for quite a few of these to be checked off my list. :crossfing: Bill

mattyboy
11-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Bill, didn't you pick up a volvo nose cone too ;) busy busy

Scott thanks , Rocky the other option might be what you see on the black cig those are the old school posts with snap rings that you see on many race cars and hot rods those are factory from Cig

mattyboy
11-14-2012, 07:00 AM
hey Offset not sure if this is for the newer 94 but this is the merc wiring harness manual from our LGDCC website BTW a laynard is a great upgrade

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pdfs/merc.pdf

RockyS18
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the pics of the pumpkin hatch latches.

Matty I think the Cigarette-style hatch pins are perfect, thanks for the idea :boat:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Matty,
Your friend must have told you about the nose cone. Yes, I bought it. Just another project to get done. I am mostly excited about getting the Warlock and Top Gun running. If my estimate is correct, the Top Gun should run in the mid to high 80MPH marks. :yes: Bill

biggiefl
11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Still can't find my s...l...o...w leak so going to start with replacing the exhaust hoses for the Capt'n chioice and see. If not then out comes the engine to either fix the Y-pipe or do a transom seal....yuk! Then new red anodized angled bezels so I don't have to break my neck to read my gauges.

Offset
11-14-2012, 04:24 PM

Thank you very much Mattyboy. Appreciated.

mattyboy
11-15-2012, 02:25 AM
Offset
The dust off is Father's Day weekend. Would be great to see you up there. Check our website for info on lodging and local attractions

duckhunter
11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
I have a few things on the winter list for the Donzi.

- New drive bellows. Going to farm this one out to a local mechanic because I don't feel like wrestling with the darn thing.

- Replace some zincs. One on the drive, one per trim cylinder. Also sacrificial anodes for the aluminum exhaust manifolds.

- Replace current 2v intake and carb with a high-rise aluminum intake (Performer RPM) and probably an Edelbrock 600cfm vacuum secondary carb. Still somewhat up in the air on the carb. Will need a new flame arrestor as well.

- Remote engine oil filter and possibly an oil cooler.

- Probably need a new deep cycle house battery.

- New stainless prop to go with the hot beef injection under the engine hatch. Leaning towards a Merc Bravo I 22P.

- Anchorshade umbrella. The bimini is too big a PITA for short stops.

- Bigger fenders. I was teased about my little fenders at the Gorge Run last summer. Now I have fender envy.

- Wrestle with trailer axle seals and maybe re-do the bunks in the spring.

Seems like there is ALWAYS something to be done; nature of boats I guess. Hopefully a lot less painful than last winter/spring, since this is mostly preventive maintenance and "nice to have" stuff.

craigdskilling
11-15-2012, 07:13 PM
:hyper: Just found a motor to start with the new install.i found a 2006, 350 scorpion motor with the whipple should put me in the 500+HP cant wait to start.Also thinking of raising the x while the motor is out for the blackhawk should be a fun ride next summer.What kind of # do you guys think i could see.My old set up was a 383 with 385HP running 73MLP and 27p props i have a set of 31 that will be going on.:propeller::canada::propeller: Thanks craig.

mattyboy
11-25-2012, 08:16 AM
I would say low 80's I have also got some trailer work planned

72Hornet
11-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Hold you laughing down to a minimum here! I am in the middle of refinishing a 1962 Buehler Turbocraft Jet 35. It was boat house kept by our neighbors from new until 1995 and was sold to another neighbor. I have the hull stripped, all of the glass repairs done, hull sanded and faired and not ready to have it shot in Awl Grip. I pulled the 327 AMC and am detailing it and putting on new hoses and carb kits. It still had the Gray Marine cardstock engine tags wired to it! It was one of those boats that I had good memories of as a kid. Not sure what I will do with it, but I needed a Winter project!
As for the Hornet, I am just doing a few minor detailing things to the hull and trailer. I made plans to do the St. Johns River Cruise in Florida in March. I will be pulling a friends 1956 Chris Craft 23' Continental down for that show and cruise. That breaks up a long Iowa Winter!

mattyboy
11-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Royce,
did you get the overheat issue taken care of? I think kenny still has the CC risers left from the cig sale if you think you might need them let me know might be morth in shipping then their are worth though

72Hornet
11-26-2012, 07:00 AM

Matty, I ordered all new internals for my waterpump. When we tore into it, it seemed ok, but had a slight bit of play in the shaft. I still have it torn apart and am awaiting my mechanic to put it back together. Keep those risers just in case unless he wants to sell them now. That is part of my Winter fun on the Donzi....

mattyboy
11-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Royce,

I'll have him take some pics not sure what shape they are in

MDonziM
11-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Bill, is your imco lower a shorty? I have thought about trying one on my 22 in the past and now that I am looking into getting the BH rebuilt, I'm thinking about it again. Interested in selling? (if its a -2")

My main winter project will be to install CMI switchable exaust on the Mag, repair a couple chips on the bottom and send one supercharger out to be rebuilt. I'm looking for input on the cleanest looking solution for the CMI air tubes (8) that need to go thru my transom. I'll post my initial thoughts on my old resto thread.

- Marshall

osur866
11-28-2012, 03:01 AM
:hyper: Just found a motor to start with the new install.i found a 2006, 350 scorpion motor with the whipple should put me in the 500+HP cant wait to start.Also thinking of raising the x while the motor is out for the blackhawk should be a fun ride next summer.What kind of # do you guys think i could see.My old set up was a 383 with 385HP running 73MLP and 27p props i have a set of 31 that will be going on.:propeller::canada::propeller: Thanks craig.
My Whippled 383 makes right at 600 HP running a -2" shorty and I've run 91, with the BH set up I'd think even with less HP you should surpass that if you have the stones for it, going from 70 to 90 is a HUGE difference in speed, if you don't have full steering add it before you just add the added power, I've wanted to experiment with a BH on my set up, but honestly upper 80's to 90 is as fast as I wanna go in an 18, enjoy sounds like a fun project!!
Steve

osur866
11-28-2012, 03:16 AM
General maitiance, pulled drive checked aglinment, need to repair seat bracket, broke one over summer, port trim tab leaking needs upper hing replaced, pull upper cap on drive and take a looksy at upper gear set replace if need be, wax and splash come spring, basically just trying to keep it together, I don't see anymore tweaking to be done I've spent the last 4 winters getting her to the point she's at and I'm very pleased with it :)

craigdskilling
11-28-2012, 05:48 AM

Ausr866 did u prep your motor for the hp.Ian putting a bigger cam and pistons and checking the springs rods and all that good stuff.will this fit under my hood or will I need the bump up hatch.Also what kind of water pick up did u get for the whipple.thanks craig

osur866
11-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Craig, yes my engine started life as a Merc. 6.2 and we kept very little but the crank, rods, block and accessories. New bigger valve alum. heads, larger camshaft, 1.6 ratio roller rockers, .030 over JE dished forged blower pistons, 7 qt. oil pan, the Whipple is a 2.3 liter EFI unit that they sell for the 350 mag and 6.2 Mercs, we added 2 additional injectors and upped the boost from 3-4 psi that they usually run on the stock 350 and 6.2's to 6PSI.

Will it fit under your hatch, If you have the EFI 2.3 Liter Whipple the answer is simply yes, however I see that your considering raising the X up, now if you go doing that I'd have to tell you prolly not, its not the hatch that will get you in trouble but the snout and the blower pulley, there is very very little room for the snout and pulley and raising it 2" or so will be an issue, look from this pic. As far as the water pick-up, we had to add a thru transom account I didn't have enough water pressure when we teed off the engines water pump, we went with a stainless marine transom mount that runs to a sand/sea strainer and is force feed into the intercooler no pump, works pretty well, however in hindsite I would go with an adjustable water pick, mine was the fixed style and I mounted mine low on purpose and ground down to achieve the proper length for the water pressure I desired. Hope this helps and good luck, Steve

craigdskilling
11-28-2012, 10:00 AM
steve thanks great info.this is going to be quite interesting.lots of work to do will keep everyone up to date.thanks craig

Conquistador_del_mar
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
"Bill, is your imco lower a shorty? I have thought about trying one on my 22 in the past and now that I am looking into getting the BH rebuilt, I'm thinking about it again. Interested in selling? (if its a -2")"

Marshall,
No, the IMCO on my Eliminator is the normal length since I set the X so high when I converted it about 15 years ago. Bill

MDonziM
11-28-2012, 03:23 PM
OK, thanks anyway Bill. Curious what you think of my little rigging issue on my Mag.

yeller
11-29-2012, 02:45 AM
What do I have going on this winter??

Hopefully I'll get my boat running by spring. I've already missed two summers. Have to install the new motor and tabs. Time is pretty scarce for me, but at least this year I will have the boat at the house and in the garage..........well.....mostly in the garage.

f_inscreenname
11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
I have spent every moment from the time I put the boats away re-doing my garage. It's not a remodel but more like an organized make over. I figure I have a couple more days to go and maybe one more trip to the dump. Then be on the look out for a big garage sale of all the stuff I found.

CHACHI
11-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Can't work on the boat this winter, so I have decided to install new cams in my Harley.

Due to my work travel, this project may last until Daytona in the spring.

Ken

joseph m. hahnl
11-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Saving $$$ for spring. I was plagued early in the season. I had a broken Bosch Spark plug , The Tungsten electode Ringa ting tinged and scored a jug. Let's just say it was labor intensive and costly. I Had a down time of 2 weeks . Any way I added roller rockers,went with lighter heads. but I left the score alone.I couldn't/nor wouldn't afford the down time.

So now that winters here I'm thinking new block and rotating assembly for spring:propeller: