PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing - Ski Sporter w/ 302 Ford/250 Volvo

ss04vv
11-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Needs some tips/locations of drain plugs etc. to winterize my boat. Any pics/tips would be appreciated. Found some information on this site but nothing comprehensive. Mechanically I'm quite capable I just haven't seen the boat in 3 months so I don't want to go into this blind, especially with how late in the season it is.

mattyboy
11-07-2012, 08:05 AM
the block drains are

on the port side towards the back of the motor in the area of the back two cyls a few inches above where the block and oil pan meet

on the starboard side it is towards the front 2 cyls in the same genral area as the other side

if you have the log manifolds they will have drains located on the bottom of the riser near the end where the hose is attached

pull all the water hoses, if you have the hm crank driven pump loosen the 6 brass screws to let the water drain

I can't take pics of mine but I'll see what I can dig up

mattyboy
11-07-2012, 10:59 AM
many manuals can be found on our Club's website www.lgdonziclassic.com check the tech tips and resource pages

here is a waukesha manual ( not holman moody but a ford is a ford) that shows the lay up procedure starting on page 12 and in figure 11 the petcock on the port side can be seen in the lower right hand corner near the edge of the picture

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pdfs/waukesha.pdf

here is the lay up instructions for the volvo drive starting on page 20

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pdfs/HM200.pdf

hope that helps at this point you want to get the water out ( typing this as I watch snow fall outside my office)

hope that helps

ss04vv
11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks - there's a good chance the cold has already 'winterized' the block for me - I guess I'll find out when I get up to the cottage this weekend....at least it's supposed to be nice and warm to get the boat out and work on it!

mattyboy
11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I think you really need to worry more about a string of a few days when the temp doesn't go above freezing one night of below freezing then a 40 degree day shouldn't hurt it

where is it? has it seen a day or two of below freezing temps?

thescooter
11-07-2012, 03:34 PM
I run motor change oil and filter and heat up.
THEN pull any and all hoses. open any plug on manifolds let drain
PUT all hoses and plugs back together.
MOST IMPORTANT.
do not cheap on antifreeze. when it is ZERO out then you will wish u BOUGHT -100 on brand
I put a 5 gallon bucket in the bilge and fill with antifreeze.
i pull intake hose of the pump and put a jumper hose into the bucket and attach the other to water pump.
run motor suck in 7 gallons of -100 per motor.
pour on 1 gallon down outdrive hose.
fog motor.
I SLEEP all winter and never worry.
in spring change water pump impeller and fuel filter.

thescooter
11-07-2012, 03:40 PM
if you do not have time to winterize the next few days.
put a 100 watt light in your bilge. plug in to eletric with hatch closed
this will keep it warm for a few nights

mario
11-08-2012, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

use banfrost 2000 2gal can be mixed with 3 gal off water to make 5 gal off mix run thur your eng after you drain the block drains and manifolds fog eng good spay all parts with crc 656

thescooter
11-08-2012, 03:11 PM
i also take some fluid as it flows out my exhausts a second before the fog shuts the engine down. i take the samples and put them in my freezer for a week. if it did not freeze it is a good weatherization job.