PDA

View Full Version : 9 years ...

Morgan's Cloud
11-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Actually it was 9 years and two months since this thing last saw water.
Thanks to hurricane Fabian on September 5th 2003 while hauled out for the storm it was whacked by something airborne moving at about 140mph . Everything from (and including) the rubrail up had to come off before repairs could start.
Then the service provider went behind our backs and colluded with the insurance company while we were in dispute . Took 'em to court. Won the war but still lost the battle .

Anyway , it finally went back in last Friday. Just in time for winter ! :banghead:
A near gale warning in effect all I could do was idle it back to the marina about a third of a mile away. It still felt great , and the engine sounded strong and smooth.

Maybe later today we'll put some extra gas in and take it out for a run and see if there's any gremlins yet to be exposed !

Thanks to Matty for the picture insertion . (may take a while before he can get to it)

Steve

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 10:26 AM
here is the pic me likey very much :yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Steve,
That is a great looking Magnum! What is the service provider? Are you saying the repair shop colluded with the insurance company over your claim? Bill

Morgan's Cloud
11-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks again Matty. There's a thread on here somewhere a good few pages back about the resto we did on it from -98 to 2000.
It's a -73 Mag 25 (25' 5'') The 15th one out of a documented 35 made. Brownie says that there were another 7 made without any known records.
If you take the hull and cut it down at the character line and add 2 feet it's a Mag 27 .

Bill , the guy who owned the yard and did the work started doing things the way we did not want . We told him him to stop , he told us to get fcked , he was going to do it his way. We always knew he was psycho we just hoped that he wasn't going to pull it on us. We went to the insurance company and let them knew what was going on and that we weren't happy and were not going to accept 'his way'.

In the end the yard owner did it his way and went behind our backs and told the insurance co that the job was finished, even though it wasn't. Without accepting it or signing a release form (from us) the insurance company paid him and called it finished. We never knew this and were in a further 3 years of dispute before we found out completely by accident that we had been totally wasting our time believing that we had some leverage in the case.

It's a very long sordid story .

Anyway , I'm heading up there now for a minute . Maybe will get the first short ride in 9 years !

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 11:52 AM
don't know which blue i like better the boat or the sky ;)

any info on power and drive and performance I bet it rides and handles very well

I try and find the resto thread

Ghost
11-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Steve, she is beautiful, glad you have her back.

(I recall the resto thread well, with all the pics in pairs in pdf files I think.)

Perf was a hair above 60 on a fast day, if I recall.

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
this the thread so we have everything in one place?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?58614-Magnum-25-in-the-boonies&highlight=

Morgan's Cloud
11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks Ghost , you have a good memory. Both on the PDF files AND the supposed top end.

I look forward to a bit more testing again as we had only just got the Hi-Tek manifolds with their related mods installed just before it came out of the water for the hurricane.
Even though I will need to do a bit more GPSing it was touching on 60 on a good day then.
The amazing thing about this boat is its sheer heft. It's no lightweight and that makes a dent in its top end compared to much newer boats of the same size/power. What's mindblowing is the feeling it imparts even at a fast idle in choppy stuff. Once on plane it just effortlessly crushes everything without barely moving. (And no rattles or squeaks anywhere)

For the technophobes (Matty and all of us on here .. :D) it's got a stock 502 Mag with FWC, B3 raised an inch and a quarter, 2.0:1 gears with a 26 inch cupped B3 propset.
The Hi-Tek (+3'' on standard riser height) upgrade included a fuel pressure modifier and Teague billet aluminum breather. Corsa Q and Q + exhaust.
You wouldn't believe how much cooler the engine room stays now with the Hi-Teks. They pump water like a fire truck compared to the old cast iron logs and they're always cool to touch.

Yep Matty , that's the thread ... And I know you love 'blue' too .. it's Awglrip Aristo blue .

Conquistador_del_mar
11-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Steve,
I recall the story now after reading the thread. Is the psycho still in business? Most of the time guys like that just find new victims. As long as you ended up with such a great boat is probably all that matters in the long run. Bill

Ghost
11-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm eager to hear how she does. Mostly, just hope you get to enjoy her like crazy after all that wait and frustration. That's one of the boats I'd like to have more than almost any other. My Cig 24, the Mag 25, a Nova Marine, a Donzi Spitfire...all of these are the "right" size for me, and with modern powertrain options are my favorite boats in the genre. When you eventually have more pics posted I'll be soaking them up.

Morgan's Cloud
11-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Bill , the nutcase sold out just before the court case/proceedings so we ended up going after the insurance company who had also committed a major faux pas. Our local CAB was astounded by the entire case.
The idiot ended up moving part time to Halifax NS but I still see him ocasionaly on island. Even my bp meds can't compensate for the sight of him.

Ghost , you have the same wish list as me ! Just about nothing's cooler than a Cig 24 though .
That's a great list because at 24-25' I think you're at the upper end of size for single handed trips when the weather permits and with today's engines you can get great performance without all the excess cast iron of the 60's 70's and 80's.

Pictures are on the bucket list but will probably take a while to get around to. Hopefully those on the other thread will suffice for the time being.

If I had the resources , and before they institutionalise me , the last boat I'd like to find and re-do comes from the days when I had a ton of the old original boat brochures.
It was Cary's version of the Magnum 27. Even lower profile , small venturi windscreen and two 427 Daytona inboards in tandem swinging a single prop. If anyone knows about these things I'd love to hear about it. I've never seen or heard of one other than the brochure boat.

Steve

woobs
11-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Glad you like the Hi-Teks...I have just decided to go that route for my current boat.
And yes, the Blue (on the boat) looks fantastic!

Morgan's Cloud
11-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Sean , please tell me how you make out with the Hi-Teks. We had to deal directly with Alan in Australia , which wasn't difficult in itself , I was just a bit uneasy when it came time to send money and he said 'Make out the draft for XXX $US' .

If on his site he had the prices in Ozzy $'s I would have done the conversion myself , but I never knew if he was taking advantage of a mark-up or not.

The freight alone was horrendous , not to mention that they got delayed/lost enroute. Other wise , the weight savings is huge and I would never have guessed the difference in engine room temperature change was going to be so noticeable. The zincs are a nice touch too .
In the end I think we saw an increase of barely 100RPMs but still a bit more testing to do yet.

edit/ That should have read 'Make the draft out for XXXX $US' lol

olredalert
11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
----You know,,,I believe the Mag 25 may be a better looking boat than the 27 Sport. Beautiful!!!!!........Bill S

Morgan's Cloud
11-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Not going to fight over that compliment Bill .. haha
However , I think that the 25 grows on you. If you've never seen a 27 it grows on you a lot faster.
100 years from now , I think the 27 Sport will still be referred to as maybe the best looking sport boat ever built .

Now , if anyone knows about that Cary I was talking about that might change !

olredalert
11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
----But,,,The split windshield works on the 25. With apologies to Mario, not so much when ordered on the 27, although still a very cool boat. However the flat windshield 27 will definetly always have a place in power boat history. Im getting old but that height windshield just seems like less demanding somehow than the 27 flat windshield........Bill S

mphatc
11-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Bill,
No need to feel apologetic.... When you ride in a 27 with the low Sport windshield you'll appreciate my 1/2 height Vee windshield...... ;-)

All chit aside, this is a beautiful 25' Magnum! 2' is a huge difference in style and
Sadly very few of these were built.

Mario

BUIZILLA
11-06-2012, 07:39 PM
there was a red/white 25 stashed in the barn at Italian Fisherman Marina in Key Largo for many many years... might still be there for all I know

smidgen too
11-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Was the IMP X 250 not the Magnum 25' bottom with just a few deck changes ?

Morgan's Cloud
11-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Gotta admit, that looks very similar. It almost seems as though they just might have made the 10% (or whatever it is) change to circumvent the splashing rule.

I know that I've seen an IMP(erial ?) 27 that was a splash of the Squadron XII 27.

superhatz
11-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Fantastic 25 Magnum!...love it and wouldn't change a thing.

:worthy:

Morgan's Cloud
11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Thanks , few things beat getting praise from Mag 27 owner !

I hope to update with a few running pics when the weather finally allows us to get out for the first test run .
Don't know how long this will take though. The weather out here has sucked for the last three weeks .

mario
11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
sweet looking magnum there love the blue and the windshield and bow rail love to see some int shots

gcarter
11-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Steve, that's a beautiful boat!

I know a bit about the tandem setup, but nothing a bout the Cary.

Morgan's Cloud
11-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Hi George , thanks for noticing the bit about the Cary. I know you're a 'tandem' sort of guy , besides f_nscreenname, too. I bet any new info or especially a photo or two of the Cary I mentioned would spark a lot of interest around here. It was a real bomb .

Thanks Mario , there are a few interior shots in the link that Matty posted earlier , if that helps . The original rail was a horrible little short thing (long gone) that not only was impractical but did nothing for the lines of the boat.
The interior layout is like a big 22C but with a small cuddy that has a pumpout head.