and for those of you who support the Mayan calendar

this is the first sign of the coming of the 4 horseman of the apocalypse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

the forecast

all kidding a side take care all this is a big storm

joseph m. hahnl
10-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Stay safe:crossfing:

http://www.ebsqart.com/Art/S-Paton/Airbrush-on-canvas/662098/650/650/Original-evil-SMILEY-FACE-painting.jpg

Scott Pearson
10-27-2012, 08:30 AM
I hope its not as bad as they are saying....

BUIZILLA
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
when it knocks on your front door with steady 150+, gusting to 180+, like it did at my house in '92, then you'll know your in a REAL storm.. :anchor:

anything less than that is a rain event :yes:

Morgan's Cloud
10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I really think that Leow's , Home Depot and Ace must pay the weather channel and the news people to wind up the public sometimes.
The wind up on this one is massive .. hell ,it's almost like the end of the world coming and satellite pictures of it are hardly recogniseable as a true hurricane.
What the real outcome of it meeting with the cold front on the other side is going to be has yet to be determined but I can assure people that (as buiz implied) everone is very lucky that it's coming ashore as a weak Cat 1 as opposed to a strong Cat 3+

The only real problem you guys have to deal with (that we don't ) is drainage issues if it's a real water bearer.
Oh , and vegetation that hasn't evolved to be hurricane resistant .

BUIZILLA
10-27-2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/zoom/Rainfall_Days_1-5.gif

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Morgan's Cloud
10-27-2012, 05:06 PM
We can always use the water out here .. :tooth:

All of our tropical systems seem to be 'dry'. We get better rain out of a near miss it seems. And that's going back 25 years at least.

A possible 12'' is pretty serious though. I hope Phil has his cover on and the bung plug removed .
(Same for everyone else in the region)

BUIZILLA
10-27-2012, 06:31 PM
ya gotta love the Chris Cristie warning :kingme:

the guy just doesn't mince words..

mattyboy
10-28-2012, 08:50 AM
I hope our friends on the sound and coastal CT are ready for this they are calling for 3-8 foot surge on the coastline and on the back side of the island in the sound 8-11 foot surge with the angle Sandy will hit.

they just closed Jamie's College( Univ of New Haven) she is starting her new job today at the Norwalk aquarium , should be a day to remember securing all the seals for the storm.

4 group 24 batteries charged just have to bring in a half cord of wood , feet up warm fire and football til the power goes out.

the trees must know it's coming no wind at all and the leaves are falling like gang busters.

STAY SAFE

Greg Guimond
10-28-2012, 09:05 AM
My folks are in CT direct harbor waterfront. Last year the water was about two inches from the floorboards of the first floor. I don't think they will make it this time with the surge + full moon tide. The house will probably go...........last year it destroyed all the docks and sea wall and a 40 foot sailboat ended up planted in the front yard. Total PITA

mattyboy
10-28-2012, 10:52 AM
out thoughts are with them Greg hope they will be all right.

everything tied down and all preps have been made fire wood bin full loaded with about a half cord funny part is this is wood cut and split from a fallen oak tree it fell a year ago last halloween nor'easter
going to check on Mom and make sure she is ready.

jl1962
10-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Just came from the sailing club in Wesport. Everything small is now at home. The big boat is still in the water and tied up a million ways. Big question is the surge. If less than 6 - 8 feet - AOK and very sheltered. If over 8', the docks will float over the top of the pilings and 50+ boats will all pile up in a corner of the basin......that's what insurance is for.....

Be safe everyone.

Offset
10-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Good luck folks. I guess all you can do is prepare the best you can, beyond that it seems to me it is all about luck. You just cannot predict what these storms can and will throw at you.

It looks like it is going to be a very rough couple of days.:umbrella:

Greg Guimond
10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Interesting comment on the insurance Jay. Last year when a neighbors dock broke loose and destroyed my parents jetty and docks the owners insurance company said it was an Act of God and would not cover the damage which was substantial :garfield:

jl1962
10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Yikes!

Didn't even think of that one, Greg.

Driving home a little after high tide w/ water already across several streets is one of the few times I'm glad I don't live on the water!

Fingers crossed the power stays on and the trees stay up!

Ghost
10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Good luck everyone--stay safe.

jl1962
10-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Matty -

Go set the barometer on the Hornet!

Lively-one
10-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Be safe all...thoughts and prayers being sent your way.

mattyboy
10-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Jay,

I was thinking the same thing but she is wrapped up & stored away

6:30 and the winds are picking up here looks like the NJ Shore is starting to feel the outer bands

be safe everyone stay dry

mattyboy
10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
crane ready to fall on 57th st in midtown Manhattan, sandy shows up at the village docks lake george NY 220 miles north of NYC and 400 miles north of the eye

photo from Shore line cruises

smidgen too
10-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Lake St Clair has been low this fall but Sandy's wind has blown what little water we had out of Anchor Bay. It's like the tide went out, but we dont have tides here. I have been here on the lake for 40+ years, it's never been this low before..

olredalert
10-30-2012, 09:21 AM
----Having been to Marks house many times, this is just plain bizarre! Just up the way from where he shot these pics (where it should be even more shallow) there were two 50 ft. Chris Craft cabin cruisers docked all summer. Those guys must feel lucky to have gotten them out before this!!!
----Been a very windy wet night and morning here in Marine City, but we havent lost power yet. Im knocking on wood as I peck this out. Good luck to all......Bill S

CHACHI
10-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Sandy was mostly a wind event at my home, Northwest CT, I don't think we had an inch of rain, never lost power.

My home is surrounded by 60-80 foot trees and not one of them fell, thank God.

I can say with 100% certainty that the foilage is past peak.

I hope those of you who keep boats in L.I. sound escaped clean.

Ken

SanDogDewey
10-30-2012, 11:02 AM
The water blowing out of the lake is crazy! Hope everyone is weathering the storm well.

Ghost
10-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Hope everyone is okay. We've been very lucky here so far.

jl1962
10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
House OK.
Boats OK.
No power until??
No school until??
Kids celebrating.....
Parents self-medicating....
Hope everyone is safe and sound.

Capevettes
10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Pretty bad storm here on Cape Cod. A couple of gusts over 80 mph and lots of trees down. Power out for many. I lost 3 trees. The boat is out of the water and winterized. No damage to the house, cars or boat. I know you guys South of us in Jersey and NY got the worst of the storm surge. Hope your families and possessions are OK.

Scott Pearson
10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Its Efdup bad here. No power to 2.1 million people...Jersey Shore is gone! Its unreal what things look like here. Power company said it could be weeks before we get power. Everthing is closed and even if it was opened you cant get there...Trees and power lines down everywhere.

Towns along the shore are destroyed. I have never seen anything like this. Its NJ's Katrina....:(

f_inscreenname
10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Sat it out in Florida of all places. House sitter says they lost power for about 15 hours but all is good now. After watching the worst of the storm roll over my house on the news we are counting our blessings. We are praying for all of you that were north and west of us.

McGary911
10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Scott, you're right. It's devastated. I hope you're doing OK out where you are.

Both of my parents live in Point Pleasant Beach. It's right on the Jersey Shore, and was hit VERY hard.
Mom is 6 blocks from the beach, and fared very well considering. My dad was evacuated. He's 2 blocks from the beach AND he's on a small lake. He's trying to get into town today to see what's left.

This is one of the best examples of the destruction i've seen so far. Check out the mantoloking bridge. There used to be a ton of houses there where it met ocean avenue. They're all gone (but one). the chopper even circles around because they can't believe it. This is taken from a Nat Guard helo. The quality isn't super, but you can see what's up. They run from south PPB to seaside. Lots of places where houses are destroyed, or simplly not there. Lots of places full of water, that shouldn't be full of water.

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/159695/aerial-view-new-jersey-coastline-near-seaside-heights#.UJELuIF5mc0 (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dvidshub.net%2Fvideo%2F15 9695%2Faerial-view-new-jersey-coastline-near-seaside-heights%23.UJELuIF5mc0&h=OAQH-KIi-)

I've attached a photo of another pic of the new inlet between the bridge and the ocean. Each of those houses were 10 mil + spreads.

scippy
11-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Just got power back here in Jackson, but Sheepshead bay home is f**ked.......Breezy point friends are homeless - majority living in shelters or w/family.....to think I scoffed at warnings of what was coming!

mattyboy
11-04-2012, 06:58 PM
just shutdown the DC it served us well for 7 days the AC just came back on

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Scippy

my thoughts go out to you and to all the members and all the residents of the coastal tristate area. as anyone heard from Frank C or Tom A ????

there is a big donation drive here several local families have parents in breezy point .

they are gathering everything from tools and mops to clothes, food water,blankets, boots work gloves very much like we did on 911.

almost wish they did turn the tv back on some of the devastation is hard to process.

scippy
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Matty

I'm trying to get a generator to my brother-in-law's family on 131st. today........this is my third attempt to get over the marine pkwy. bridge.
There are staging points at Floyd Bennett field (Flatbush ave.) Coast guard station (Breezy) as well as engine 329 there. Red cross & military
run supply's to shelters....my brother-in-law refuses to leave, but I think things will change after wedesday's storm...Thanks for all your help!
Not sure who Frank C or Tom A. are?

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Good Luck Pete, God Bless well pray and do what we can for you and them.

I have only gotten power late sunday night after loosing it at monday a 5pm so we have been isolated from news and tv a reports I just saw pics from the entrance of the brooklyn battery tunnel were the water was higher than the tunnel ceiling at the entrance like something out of a sci fi movie sent chills down my spine.

jl1962
11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Nor'Easter Wednesday night. Gusts over 50 at the coast. Storm surge 2' - 4'. And maybe snow inland.

It won't be as bad as Sandy.........not that that's any consolation!

Still no power at home............

Hang in there!

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 01:26 PM
hang in there Jay

I can't believe how important the hornet was in getting us thru this. we lost power for 7 days and with the water table up due to a lot of rain prior to the storm and the inch or so that fell during. I winterized it last weekend before the storm and removed the battery . I used that battery and 3 others with the spare bilge pump from the hornet to keep the water out of the basement due to the high water table. then after the storm and with the gas crisis that resulted i then uncovered her and hooked up a battery and unhooked the fuel line to the carb then ran a jumper to the electric fuel pump and pumped out about 45 gallons of gas into cans to keep the vehicles on the road and out of the lines.

praying for those effected by this

we are restocked and refueled for the nor'easter

jl1962
11-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks Matty.

We're still the lucky ones. House OK, basement dry, house cats even seem to miss us a bit. And no gas lines here in CT. I've heard some stories of hotels gouging though.

We've been at my in-laws in White Plains for 8 days!!!!! Good thing we all get along - at least I think we still get along!

Very resourceful w/ the Hornet. Maybe you should provision it like a lifeboat and put some canned goods in it!

;)

mattyboy
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Jay I kid you not I am ordering a solar recharge kit like they have for power boat lifts that use a marine battery and a cigarette lighter from overtons so I can recharge the cell phones with out going out to the cars. that way i won't have to run over to Kenny's with the big batteries to have them recharged. may even order an led light or two do they make a DC HDTV for yachts?

McGary911
11-11-2012, 07:42 AM
It looks like Frank is ok, but his house isn't. I picked this up from an article posted on OSO. ( http://www.offshoreonly.com/articles/hurricane-sandy/garden-state-greatness-will-prevail

"Frank and Melissa Civitano, on the other hand, know exactly how well their home in Toms River weathered the storm. It didn’t. It’s condemned."

That's terrible to hear. Frank, if you still hit D.net every now and then, I'm hoping you're going to come out of this OK. My dad's in a similar boat.

mattyboy
11-11-2012, 08:20 AM
our thoughts and prayers are with all the victims of this storm. locally we have donated to rescue and relief funds. your father and frank and melissa and everyone effected by this storm are in our thoughts and prayers. we visited scott pearson yesterday his area has damage much like my area tree and branch damage what we saw on the way home was incredible . at around exit 120 on a tidal creek perhaps the matawan creek there is a marina that can be seen from the gsp. this is usually a small tidal creek usually see small boats and a few larger cruiser kids crabbing from row boats . the boats are just piled up like someone was sweeping them up to be picked up by a dust pan . I can only imagine the force the ocean threw at the open coast line.