PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating an oil cooler question

Conquistador_del_mar
10-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know if the Eddie Marine oil cooler can be powder coated considering the 400 degree temperature it requires? The cooler I want to powder coat is this one. Thanks, Bill

http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13575&c=47

superhatz
10-24-2012, 11:33 PM
I don't see why not. I've powder coated similar things..

silverghost
10-25-2012, 12:12 AM
I doubt 400*F would do any harm as there are no plastic parts~~
And the internal cooler tubes are usually swaged then soldered in place and the solder used usually melts at much higher temps than the 400*F most powdercoat ovens use.

Now if this cooler contained a bypass valve & thermostat that allowed the engine's oil to reach proper operating temps~~~
I would not expose it to 400*F as it might well be damaged.

gcarter
10-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Bill, why not a good paint job?

Ed Donnelly
10-25-2012, 11:18 AM
If the oil cooler was silver soldered it would be ok.

Any other would be iffy..Ed

Conquistador_del_mar
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. Here is what I found out. I called Eddie's and they told me they do not powder coat them so I asked about the solder joints. They told me to check with Champ Products in Sarasota where they get them. I called Champ Products after an internet search and got Artie who is in customer service. He told me the end caps are regular solder, but the internals are brazed. He said the only way he would do it is to remove all the end cap solder and have the end caps brazed. Since there is too much chance of something going wrong, I believe the easiest way is what George suggested - paint it. Bill

gcarter
10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
On the TR project, I've tended to use powder coating where there's high usage like the deck rails, and paint for things that generally not abused too often.