PDA

View Full Version : 04 18' classic (not mine)

W.Davis
10-24-2012, 11:37 AM
looks like a grreat deal if someone is in the market for a newer 18 classic. I like the colours as well

http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/3359923452.html

Just Say N20
10-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Nice find.

The ad.

Dreamer Dave
11-05-2012, 09:39 PM
This is my first post on this forum.

Tomorrow morning I fly from Houston to New York to test this boat on Lake Placid Wednesday. After all the old boats I've looked at, it's hard to imagine a reason why it won't pass. It's actually from this decade! Then I will be able to call myself a Donzi owner vs a wanna be lurker. I am excited!

I had been told that the only boats that could handle the Galveston Bay square chop had to be over 20'. Picture a body of water 40 miles long, 20 miles wide and only 10' deep. So was looking for a 22'. But I wasn't excited about a fuel usage of a carbonated big block. I also plan to use it on the local lakes hauling my kids and grand kids around and a 22 would look like a whale in a fish bowl (OK, a very sleek and sexy whale) . Was actually considering getting two Dozi's, both a 16' and a 22'. Then it dawned on me to compromise and get the one in the middle. And if it can't handle the bay, I'll wait for another day and on the inside water I'll stay.

jl1962
11-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Congrats!

You'll love it. I believe this boat was probably the one that was for sale on Candlewood Lake in CT last winter. If so, it sold for about 13k with the trailer - truly a great buy. Maybe the new owner put a little more $$$ into it.

At any rate, it is still a very good price and if it's what you want - grab it. Bundle up and enjoy the boat ride on Placid!

Welcome to the board.

Kirbyvv
11-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Killer price on an '04.

Good luck with the purchase, but bring some warm clothes for that test ride. It was 22 in Lake George this a.m. with a predicted high of 42........goggles and a ski hat.

dsparis
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
Getting a survey done ?

mattyboy
11-06-2012, 08:47 AM
get in and out of dodge nor'easter bearing down on the NE wed into thurs forecast for lake placid low 22 high 37
no snow in the forecast so it should be great boating weather . might not be a bad idea to open the petcocks after the test run.

good luck

dts555
11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I tried this boat out a few months ago. It is priced right but has some wear for a 04. Good luck with the purchase

Dreamer Dave
11-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Boat was at marina in Serinac Lake. Found out later it was a record (for the date) 6*F during the night. But enough open water to test the boat. Burnt the serp belt off initially when it tried to spin an ice filled water pump. Eventually discovered it is a 6 groove 77.5" belt .New belt installed and it had warmed up to almost 30. Boat ran great. 60 MPH (indicated. Forgot to bring my GPS) with quite a bit left on the throttle. No issues. Bought the boat.

Now a question:
This black and tan boat has been painted (in spots) particularly the tan waterline stripe. It's over black gelcoat. Seems strange to me.
Anyone know anything about this rather rare color combo? Was it a special edition? Other than the colors, everything else appears normal (later model) Donzi Classic 18.

mattyboy
11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Bob Nelems of nelems Marine a donzi dealer back then ordered a few of the honey colored boats they were not special or limited editions more special orders .

a frozen water pump :eek:

Dreamer Dave
11-08-2012, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]
Thought this probably was the case since there's no plaques or stickers hypeing a "Super Dooper Extra Special Limited Edition!!" as is usual. Just two stickers from the previous dealers. The oldest seems to be from a dealer in Dallas on left rear transom. Both stickers will be coming off very soon.

Yard had claimed to have already winterized boat. But just drained block. Prior to initial start, oil looked good but not brand new, zero minutes. Apparently draining the block still leaves enough water in the pump to stop it when it freezes but not cause expansion issues (GM's design allowed for people being human). Once it's thawed, pump spins freely. Watched them start oil change and coolent drain before I left.

Bobby D
11-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Dave,
Before you run it again pull off you water pump and check to see if it cracked. Don’t be surprised if is however if it’s not take it apart because you will need to replace the impeller.
Your set up should be similar to mine and because the pump is mounted at a low point if you don’t pull the hoses it will hold water and if it gets cold enough it will crack. My impeller was 2 years old and I was surprised at the poor condition when I pulled it apart this year.
Bobby D

Dreamer Dave
11-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Drove up to Saranac Lake Thanksgiving weekend and brought back boat. 3900 miles in 5 days. Having it shipped would have cost about the same but would have taken a few weeks and I couldn't wait to play with my new toy.

Spent a day cleaning, lubing, doing cosmetic repairs, etc. Water pump was OK. Serpentine belted 350's have it up at camshaft level.

Took the boat out today for the first time. My first Donzi ride. Galveston Bay. 15 miles (each way) in 2'+ chop. "Experienced" IO driver friend said he'd never imagine that a "little" 18' boat could handle it so well. Flys (and lands) straight and even every time. Only had prop out once. Then spent an hour or so on Clear Lake. Great fun but just a little disappointed. Top speed was 59.8 (GPS) but that was with 3/4 tank, two people and slight chop (looking for other excuses to add).
Still, the boat is a keeper. Still need to adjust the trailer to better fit the boat, replace the missing exhaust bellow, find a soft sided cooler that matches the tan interior and a dozen other dream "improvements" (cup holders, maybe PVC teak deck in cockpit, etc, etc)

Ahh. Nothing like a new toy to spend time and money on.:rlol:

Ghost
11-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Congrats on your new baby! -Mike

inlander
12-01-2012, 03:43 AM
3900 miles in 5 days!!! Now that's dedication. Hope you had a co-pilot.

The things one will do to own a Donzi!

Congratulations.:yes: