PDA

View Full Version : Paging Maddad ford to chevy volvo question?

mattyboy
10-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Mike you are the only guy who I know who went from a ford volvo to a chevy volvo

I have reached the conclusion that the benchseat is balanced very well with the tank moved back and a small block. It rides well and carries the nose very well.
the motor i had rebuilt is around 240-250 HP it just needs about 150 hp more . trying to ring that much more out of a ford with the cost of parts and exhaust it makes more sense to recoup the cost of the 302 and get into a chevy 383 .

what is needed just the flex plate? or is the main shaft and bearing housing different? I have the housing that bolts to the ford bell housing and the shaft rides in the flex plate spline. the volvo chevy housing I have seen have the shaft in a bell housing ?

BUIZILLA
10-04-2012, 06:50 PM
aluminum head 347..

mattyboy
10-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Fixx is this what you have in your X ???? looks totally different from my setup it is listed as AQ Chevy V8 bell housing.
then it looks like I will have to match corse or fine splined which means I might have to change the coupler part of the u joints

maddad
10-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Matty, volvo made two Chevy housings. I would use the modular one like in the pic below. You don't even need the Volvo bellhousing part to adapt to your existing tail piece/shaft thingy, a bunch of companies make them. When Ralph Saverese switched long before I did, I believe he got a Borg Warner housing. They all have the SBC tranny pattern on one side and that standard bolt pattern on the other. Mine happens to be the Volvo piece and needs a particular snout on the starter to avoid clearance issues. Ralph's can use any small flywheel starter. I once had mine laying next to a one piece like in your pic and if I remember right, the one piece puts the motor a few inches more forward.

mattyboy
10-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks Mike I think I know where to get one of those housings

silverghost
10-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Matty~~~
I have a chevy V-8 bolt pattern bellhousing off of a rare early 70s I/O Chris~Craft lancer.
Most C~C LAancers were straight inboards with very few outdrives ever built.
The housing was once bolted-up to Volvo Aquamtic outdrive & ChrisCaft marined smallblock chevy.
I bought it at a boatyard beause of its starter location.

The neat thing about this bellhousing is it uses an easy to access top-mount marine starter. You don't need to stand on your head, or reach around the engine to remove & replace the starter motor. It uses a Chris~Craft or indmar top reverse mount marine starter.
It also has a top mounted rubber flap cover & cast -in pointer to view the flywheel's scribed timing marks.
Chris~Craft used to scribe all their Chevy V-8 flywheels with easy to view top located timing marks so you did not have to view the very low front crank damper's timing marks.
If you like late Saturday night after I return from the Philly Marine Fest I can compare it's
front to back flange-to-flange length and also compare it to my project's old Volvo 270 outdrive's HM Ford belhousing if you wish ?
I also have the Chris~Craft rope packing style rear main oil seal cast aluminum SBC marine oil pan.

mattyboy
10-06-2012, 06:15 AM
sg~~~~~

no thanks no interest in that at all.

mattyboy
10-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks Fixx for the offer I appreciate it , but I have one lined up locally no need to ship.