PDA

View Full Version : V6 Comments / opinions ?

woobs
10-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Today, I have purchased some 2002 4.3 Vortec heads for my 4.3L V6 merc and ordered an Edelbrock 2115/1409 intake combination. All is being rebuilt to ensure peace of mind.

I want to change the stock exhaust manifolds for aluminum and do not know which ones to go with...
IMCO Thumpers, GLM aluminum, or Hi-Tek (are there others out there for a 4.3 V6) as I have no experience with any of them. I would also like to use a diverter system...and IMCO says their exhaust is not compatible so, that may narrow the choice.

Anyone here have opinions on these exhausts (or other options) ?

As always, thanks for the comments/opinions I very much appreciate them.

Morgan's Cloud
10-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I can only speak to the HiTeks .
Huge improvement in waterflow and seamless construction very well suited for the salt water environment.
No more worries about leaking joints/gaskets.
Zinc anodes
Massive weight saving.
Alan will do anything extra if needed if you have any special requests. We wanted + 3'' on the height and stock Corsa Q&Q compatablity. No problems
Engine room is noticeably cooler than with the stock cast iron logs.

Downside ... The Ozzie dollar is now higher than the US $ and I dread to think what he would charge now for the set I had done for a 502 when the exchange rate was .85c to the US$ 'cause they weren't cheap then !

woobs
10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Do you know if the IMCOs are stock dimension? (i.e. can I keep my Y pipe, or do I have to go thru-hull?)

woobs
10-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks Fixx,

That's great news.

I don't have any diverters yet....But I want it all!
Unfortunately I don't think any manufacturer for diverters has a set designed for the 4.3 V6.

If I can't have a swithching system, at least I don't have to be stuck with a common collector or dodgey GLM product.

Cheers,
Sean.