PDA

View Full Version : New mount ideas for a Bimini Top

Shooter
10-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a 18 Classic (1995) and want to add a quality bimini during this winter.
I would like to install the main mount on the inside of the windshield and would like to mount with screws and nuts not wood screws, however there is no way to reach that area with a nut.
Anyone that has an innovative mount please chime in.

biggiefl
10-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I did mine inside the windshield on my 22 with 1" screws. I don't think you need to thru-bolt them. Make sure you countersink the holes no matter what you do or cracks WILL form. I used a solid brackets(bars) for the rear instead of straps as this takes MUCH of the strain off the hardware as it is like a wheelie bar and then the straps hold down the front. You can do bars front and rear if you wish. It will take a few runs to get the angle right so it does not bow. I highly suggest stainless frames and fittings along with mounts with quick disconnects so removing it takes 2 minutes when putting the cover on, etc.

Shooter
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

That was exactly how I was leaning. Any pics and or manufacturer suggestions. Most of what I have seen have black nylon hardware.
Thanks for the input!

Evidently the quotes do not work.

biggiefl
10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I actually use the same bimini from my 13' Whaler on my 22. I traded a taller alum framed one for it but it is a tad too tall and tad to short in length. I personally would buy one custom made if you can't find the right size. Overton's has a good amount to choose from but with shipping it might not cost that much more to have made custom($800+/-). The last one I had custom made I made it look like a dive flag....cool. Many have them done to match the deck stripe as well. That custom touch is worth it my opinion and you WILL be happy with the fit, etc. Custom can also fit it so it lays right to put cover on w/o removing, etc....maybe. No pics with top up.

Ghost
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Evidently the quotes do not work.

Yes, but you can show quotes with just a little work. Start by highlighting and copying the text you want to quote. Then, if you hit the "Reply With Quote" button, you'll see:
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

If you delete the space between the first bracket and the Q, type the screen name of the poster over "$originalposter", and paste in the text you want over "{$pagetext}", you'll be all set. May sound like a lot, but it takes about 2 seconds.

Plus, it can also give you amazing powers over others:

I'm a little teapot. And why is this bathtub so small?

Shooter
10-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks Ghost --- The quotes procedure seems to be a bit tedious, every other forum quotes are a simple click.
No matter, the bimini tips are what I am looking for.