PDA

View Full Version : 1963 13FT Boston Whaler restore

BlakeSullivan
10-03-2012, 12:20 PM
My first boat growing up was a 1963 Whaler so I decided to have this one redone to new with the blue interior . We a re-gelcoating the inside and out. I have a new 40hp mercury to go on the back and all new teak. It should be pretty trick when its done . Here a few pic's of it coming along.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Looks great. The first boat I ever drove was my grandmother's 13' Boston Whaler in the mid to early 1960s at Grand Lake in Oklahoma so I understand your project. On a side note, one of the only boats I ever turned down when I used to do fiberglass repair for a living was a delaminated hull on a Boston Whaler. I couldn't figure out how to do the repair. Bill

jl1962
10-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Those are just about the greatest boats for teens ever.

There was one on Lake George in the late '60's w/ a 50 hp Mercury on it - what a blast. I still know where it is but it needs a transom rebuild just like yours (probably b/c of the Merc 50!). I would love to get it going again.

Keep us posted.

biggiefl
10-03-2012, 01:31 PM
73212I have mine from when I was a kid(1981) that I bought back 20 years after selling to my neighbor in 86. Shipped it to FL and did a total restore. Having owned 23 Whalers there are a few tricks, hence why we belong to these forums. I suggest www.continuouswave.com (http://www.continuouswave.com) for advice if you need any. My only advise to you since you are doing transom work is raise the transom so it is even. This allows you to run a 20" shaft as 15's are getting hard to find and don't have PTnT usually. Also keeps your engine from being swamped when you come off plane and you won't need the steering thingy as you will now be able to get it in the tube all by itself. No matter what you do raise the engine all the way up when mounting as the transom angle is like a jackplate and allows for a much higher mounting....you can always lower if necessary. If redoing the interior I also recommend making the console twice as wide so you are not stuffed in the corner. This allows better steering setups and gauges along with a binacle control instead of side. If you do not know what to do for an interior talk to Mike at www.nauticallumber.com (http://www.nauticallumber.com) and have him make you one for about what it costs us to buy the freaking wood. My 13 is on his site with pics if you want to see his work. Good luck and if ever down my way, come to one of my GCBWOA Whaler rendezvous that I put on a few times a year all over FL.

BlakeSullivan
10-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Here some updated pic's . I have installed all the wood , new rub rail . I did have the transom filled in for the longer shaft motor. All that is left is wiring which in that boat is running lights and under seat Led's.

olredalert
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
----Wow Blake!!! Arent you afraid you will scratch it? That Whaler is sweet. Like so many of us on here, I logged an incredible number of hours in the 13 I had back in the very early 60s. 1st year it had an 18 Johnson but that was kind of anemic for my bulk when skiiing so we went up to a 40 Johnson the next year. We were speed demons back then, buying 2-blade racing props and all. I actually raised the engine up so high on the pin that I had to sit on the transom and steer with my foot to keep the prop in the water.......Bill S

jl1962
10-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Looks terrific!

Morgan's Cloud
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Wow , that is just fantastic.
It ought to go in the Boston Whaler museum !

I remember when I was a kid how the 'beginners' who had a bit of cash would buy a flash first boat , putting their noses up at the 13' Whaler owners.
Little did they understand what a great boat it was to earn your sealegs in. Nearly everyone I know who started out in Whalers (or other non flash small boats) is a far better boatman than the nouvo riche who got a 70mph 28 footer as their first toy !

For myself, I'd love to redo an 11' Whaler and put the max (sensible sized) 4 stroke on it as the ultimate fun and affordable personal sled. (And super low maintenance as well)

Again , very , very nice . Congrats. A floating bit of history saved !

Ghost
10-17-2012, 12:16 PM
Gorgeous, very nice!! I'm with MC--they're perfect boats to learn on.

joseph m. hahnl
10-17-2012, 06:04 PM
They do cause a lot of jelousy when the little 13 foot skiff with an outboard goes steaming bye a much larger boat with more power.

my 13 with the 50 HP would top out at 48 mph top trim pin.

The supersport 15 and the Mischief top out at 55 MPH.

I still have mine from 1973 and yes it is called a Classic 13:biggrin.:

Nice job! looks great!

f_inscreenname
10-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Wasn't there some kid on here about a decade ago that redid a Whaler as his first boat?
Maybe from New England.

dsparis
10-18-2012, 09:41 AM
I learned how to ski behind a 13 w/33hp johnson in the early 70s. I also remember how it would pound your teeth loose.

duckhunter
10-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I love my 13 Whaler - they are just great little boats. Tows great with the Jeep, doesn't cost anything to run, and is a hoot to drive.

It will have a prime spot in a covered boathouse someday, right next to a 22 Classic...

Team Jefe
10-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Nice!!