PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tab Indicator Mounting Location?

RockyS18
09-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I plan on installing mechanical trim tab indicators this winter and I was wondering where people mount theirs.
I would do something like this if possible: http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com/image.php?productid=16763
I can't mount it to the right of the steering wheel because there is a low-opacity Donzi 009 logo there. Does anyone have recommendations?

If I can't fit the vertical style indicator anywhere there, has anyone used pop-up indicators? I'm worried that they might not fit under the windshield when fully extended.

gcarter
09-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Livorsi makes a nice "heads up display" type that helps w/the indicator cable arrangement, also it'll let you put it where the decal iis.

gcarter
09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Also, it's not really flat to the right of the wheel..................

Scott Pearson
09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Here ya go!

bertsboat
09-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Scott,
Yours is missing a line on the DRIVES side of the indicator or He misspelled DRIVE. Somebody messed up.
TABS
DRIVE
Looks cook anyway you spell it!

RockyS18
09-25-2012, 05:16 PM

I was hoping to not get rid of that 009 logo, and it actually is flat there. Same flatness as where the radio receiver is. Even if I put the trim tab indicator there (I realize the pic has drives too, but I don't need a drive indicator) it wouldn't cover up the whole logo. There's an old Vessel View laying around at my friend's place, maybe that will fit there?

Does anyone know a Donzi with a pop-up trim tab indicator mounted under the windshield?

mattyboy
09-25-2012, 07:27 PM
rocky

do a search on Parnell's GT ( board name sweet cheeks) the boat is called fair warning he has the pop up gauge in the dash

jl1962
09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Somewhere around page 21 and post 302 of this thread!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?60128-Time-for-an-Update/page21&highlight=gt+21+sweet

Awesome boat. Didn't Mick's 22 w/ the very customized interior have something similar?

gcarter
09-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Thde "heads up" is what i was referring to earlier, is no longer in the Livorsi catalog.

mattyboy
09-26-2012, 06:48 AM
stainless marine still makes the heads up

http://www.cpperformance.com/csearch.aspx?CategoryID=0&ManufacturerID=0&SectionID=0&PriceRange=0&SortBy=5&PageSize=12&AndOr=AND&DisplayMode=Grid&Search=trim

looks like they have a speiling issue if you want you can get their number off of Pearson's photo or you can try and work your way thru their FUBARED
website.

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/

not sure if the heads up will have clearance issues they would need to be far enough back not to mess with the gauges or wiring but not to far back to allow full travel of the indicators before they hit the windshield

Ghost
09-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Looking at the pic, Mick's boat appears to have stick-style indicators for the tabs, with a trim gauge for the drive.

RickSE
09-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Here are some pictures of my tab indicator location. It worked out well since the cables came right out the bottom of the indicator panel and go through a hole in the front inner cockpit liner. You can't see the cables unless you crawl under the dash.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?46019-Dash-pictures-for-MINXGUY&highlight=dash

BlakeSullivan
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I put these in my 22 a couple of years ago

bertsboat
09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Too bad they are not flush when everything is in the neutral position. That way they would be flush and out of sight till you start trimming up on the drive and down on the tabs, as opposed to the other way around. I am sure everyone that looks at them asks you "WHATS THAT?"
Just a thought.

mattyboy
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
if they are flush for nuetral trim how do you show negative trim?

RockyS18
09-26-2012, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I like BlakeSullivan's heads up indicators, thanks for the pic. I'll be doing that since I know they have no issues now.

Thanks for the help everyone

Scott Pearson
09-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Why not just scrap the whole indicator thing and just go by feel? Thats how my boats are...you get to know the sweet spot real quick.

bertsboat
09-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Better to get to know your boat like Scott say's. You will be a better driver with less distractions. You don't have to take your eyes off the road to feel what your boat is doing. Scott is spot on here.
Thanks Scott.

RockyS18
09-27-2012, 09:47 AM
That's what I've done for the past couple years, I have the feel for it and I know the sweet spot. K-planes will be installed this winter and once I get the feel for those there's nothing wrong with having the option see their location.

bertsboat
09-27-2012, 12:45 PM
What I meant was, when the tabs are up, the indicators are flush. When you drop them they come out. When the drive is trimmed all the way down the indicator is flush. As you trim up the indicator pops out.
Just looks strange with those three rods sticking up when your at rest.
My take,,,,,,,,

Ghost
09-27-2012, 01:17 PM
The human-factors aspect of these can be a bit challenging. Like many gauges with the needles at 12 o'clock, it is nice to have the "normal" or "baseline" indicator position of stick-style indicators as you say, all the way down rather than poking way up out of the dash.

At the same time, the normal or baseline position would likely be all the way DOWN (or nearly so) with the drive, but all the way UP with the tabs. And reversing anything such that real-world-up is indicator-down, and vice-versa, can be really unintuitive and confusing.

BlakeSullivan
09-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I really do enjoy them on two aspects 1st, it gives you a reference point when you jump in the boat, but of course a 22 is a drivers boat so ultimately driving is by feel , 2nd is they look really cool , It's all about "function and Fashion " :pimp:

BUIZILLA
09-28-2012, 11:42 AM
if a pilot put his flaps and tabs in the same place all the time..

he'd crash

at some point, so will you

BlakeSullivan
09-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Not sure I follow ?

BUIZILLA
09-28-2012, 01:23 PM
my comment was rather cryptic..

mu point is, some people that use these tend to leave them in one startoff point no matter what, it becomes a false security blanket, which can get one in BIG trouble without too much trouble

BlakeSullivan
09-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Oh , I see, when then I will have to agree with you there