PDA

View Full Version : Some fun cars

Conquistador_del_mar
09-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Yesterday afternoon I wanted to drive the Shelby Cobra replica in our wonderful fall weather. My wife drove up in her new Camaro so I took a couple pictures including the newest addition - a 2009 Shelby GT500 Mustang. The Mustang is an awesome driving car with a very tight feel and very comfortable seats. The 500HP supercharged engine and 6 speed Tremec with the tuned suspension make it a fast and fun car to drive. Deanna's 2012 Camaro SS (426HP) is also an incredibly fun car to drive with quite a few features the Mustang does not have. But the Cobra makes both the Mustang and Camaro seem boring in terms of the fun meter, plus it is much faster on acceleration and makes the best exhaust sound I have almost ever heard. Life is good - :wink: Bill

BUIZILLA
09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
hey Bill.... since we're fast becoming an income equalization society, which one can I have? :lookaroun:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-22-2012, 01:52 PM
You make a good point. The stock market has treated me very well this year so I will be donating at least one of these cars next April - good enough? :wink: Bill

BUIZILLA
09-22-2012, 05:52 PM
i'm really diggin' the Mustang :cool:

Conquistador_del_mar
09-24-2012, 02:23 AM
I hope to epoxy my garage floor like I did at my wife's new house a month ago. It is such a clean look! Bill

VetteLT193
09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Did you get the real stuff or go with the Rustoleum (or like) stuff from Home depot? I did the rustoleum and was very happy with it for about 3 years but it's quickly going downhill since :banghead:

It would probably be much better if we didn't have our garage open so often. it seems that sunlight/UV destroys it because all the problems are at the end of the garage where it gets the light.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
I used the Quikrete brand which is a two part epoxy. The 1 gallon kit comes with a DVD to show how to do it, some concrete cleaner/etcher, 3/4 gallon of part A with the color, 1 qt part B clear, a bottle of the flakes, and a mixing stick. 2 kits will do a 2 car garage just like the DVD states with a little extra. I almost did not continue the coat beyond the garage door for the very reason you mentioned, but it looks so much better for now. UV might get to it over time, but it can be retreated later. The flakes really make a difference. I almost did not sprinkle them on as I rolled, but I am glad I did after seeing it. Bill

McGary911
09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Loving that Cobra. They're some of my favorites. Is there a thread with a little more info on the car? I'd like to hear more about it.

My buddy in St. Cloud had a cobra replica custom built for him and his wife. Think the body was make in South Africa. He had it built with a Roush racing 428. It flew. The only thing I didn't like was the roll hoop on the passenger side (wifequirement). Now for the good part. He had it for only 6 months, and only put a couple hundred miles on it. After paying almost 80 for it, he sold it for $35. I didn't even know he was selling it, or I would have been on it. After he saw the look on my face, he was upset too, as he'd rather have sold it to me. I think he thought he was making it better when he said, "John, if I thought you were interested, I would have let you have it for 30". Yep, that made it worse, lol. To this day, if he sells a rock out of his yard, he checks with me first to make sure I don't want it.

Sounds like you had a great day with the top down. I'm not working today, the weather's beautiful....hmm. Call me inspired. Top's coming down on the M3 and I'm going for a rip.

Again, beautiful Cobra. Like the unique yellow (reminds me of Porsche Fly Yellow) too.....

johnnywhale
09-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I forget the brand I used in my garage, but it was a semi commercial type.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/johnnywhale/garage21.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/johnnywhale/garage23.jpg
Seven years ago, has held up to an awful lot of welding, grinding, dragging and dropping of stuff.
Garagejournal is your friend here

Conquistador_del_mar
09-25-2012, 02:25 AM
John,
The Cobra is a Classic Roadsters kit. It has all new parts including a Tremec 5 speed TKO tranny, a race built stroked 351 Ford to 427CID making 489HP on the dyno, a Currie geared Richmond rear end, Corvette front disc brakes, Ford Excursion rear disc brakes, Ididit tilting steering, Flaming River ss steering, adjustable Carrera coil overs, a reverse 180MPH speedo like originals, Motolita steering wheel, Hildebrand wheels (I think that is the brand), 255/45/ZR17 front tires and 285/40/ZR17 rear tires (BF Goodrich G-Force). It is all finished out in Corvette Millinium yellow single stage Croma One by Dupont under the hood, door jambs, and trunk lid. Mine was built in 2001 and has only 2300 miles on it so far. Here are a few more pics.
I hope you got out in your M3 this afternoon. It would have been a great day here but I had many chores keeping me behind the wheel of my work truck. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
09-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Johnnywhale,
That looks about like the product I used. I love the pot lights in your garage - it gives me ideas for mine. Bill

McGary911
09-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Bill, thanks for all the details. I'm liking it even more now, lol. It sounds like you really enjoy it. And yes, I went for a nice drive on some backroad twisters yesterday.

Phil S
09-26-2012, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Love it...sorry for drooling on it ! Nothing else like them........going to build me one, one of these days.

Phil S.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Phil and John,
I paid a little less than $35k for mine about 7 years ago after looking at about 300-400 of them online over a fairly long period of time. The one I bought had all the features I would have built into one if I were to have built one, but I paid less than the man had in it who had put it together (sort of like John's story about the resale value). I had to drive from north Texas to Minneapolis to get it on my trailer, but that was the cheapest money I spent in the long run. In my book, you are much better off finding one already built like you want than thinking you can put one together for less money. When you start adding all the parts, it really gets pricey quickly. Just my thoughts, Bill