PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Vent "Whistler": Any Info?

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
09-19-2012, 09:13 AM
I remember seeing somebody here writing about a device that helps prevent overfilling the gas tank and spilling gas out of the fuel vent. Its essentially a whistle that installs in the vent line close to the tank. During a fill up at the gas station, the air escaping through the vent makes it whistle. When the gas hits it, it stops whistling and you know to shut off the pump handle before the gas spills out of the vent and gets all over the side of the boat and trailer.
Does anybody have a lead on where I can obtain said device?

Eric

Tidbart
09-19-2012, 09:29 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=marine+fuel+vent+whistle&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Just Say N20
09-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I installed on when I redid my Ski-Sporter. It works, but also is exceptionally annoying when filling up. I trailer the boat, and fill it mostly at auto fuel stations, so it does get me a fair share of dirty looks.

But, no overfilling, and running down the side of the boat.

Tidbart
09-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Question, Is this whistle device CG approved?

Why not use your fuel gauge on the boat and stop at full?

B

gcarter
09-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Or accept an occasional spill over....................

Kirbyvv
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
I added one of these. http://www.usboatsupplies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RACLG50&Store_Code=USBS&Category_Code=RacorDieselFuelFi
It has a ball valve that stays open as long as air is moving through the unit, but as soon as fuel hits it, the ball lifts and shuts off the flow. I installed it just up stream of the tank in the vent line and zip tied it to the fuel fill line. It has worked great.

Offset
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Is it legal to fuel your boat with the motor off but the ignition on? I have done this before but never thought it was legal.

Read on another site that the "whistle" drove them nuts when filling a 100 gallon tank.

Interesting thread and ideas, I like the check valve for the vent line. I think I may install one.

gcarter
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
One problem is the length of the vent and fill lines are almost identical.
In reality, you have no real warning between when the whistle stops, or the check walve closes
and when the fill line is full and it's running over the deck.
So, what's the advantage.

Tidbart
09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I believe that the whistle is supposed to be cut into the line just above the tank so there is room for error. If it was cut into the vent up too high on the line, it wouldn't work very well.

B

09-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Ooh! I love annoying people, especially at gas stations!

Ordered one. Thanks for the info.

Eric

09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
I have the mechanical sight gauge viewed through a glass portal cut into the ski tray which is hard to see under the best lighting conditions. It would be impossible to see it while holding the pump handle. An electric gauge would need the ignition circuit to be left on which can burn up the points.
My current indication that the tank is full is the sound of gas spewing out of the vent onto the side of the boat, the trailer , and the ground, sometimes followed by the sound of a guy in a turban cursing me in a language I don't understand. Not good.
The whistle is installed in the vent line right next to the tank so it stops whistling and you can shut off the pump handle before the gas climbs up and out the vent. Supposedly, the tone of the whistle changes as droplets of fuel begin to reach the whistle even before the fuel level reaches it. That remains to be seen.
The fact that it pisses people off is just a bonus!

Tidbart
09-20-2012, 10:51 AM
See point about the gauge and the points. The newer boats don't have these issues.

Sound like a great idea. Give us some feedback after you have used it for a while.

Bob

John C in PA
09-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I've had fuel whistlers in all the boats I've owned and they work fine. As the air is blown out of the tank proper thru the vent the whistle changes tone until it stops as the fuel starts to fill the hose itself. You will need to get your own hose clamps as the manufacturer doesn't include them anymore.

Yep, the whistle is annoying. Especially with a near MT fuel tank and you're blowing a lot of air thru the whistle. OTOH, when folks turn around to see the source of the noise I usually get a "wow, beautiful boat" comment!!!

Bob, do you really want to energize the guages during fueling :eek:?

John C

CHACHI
09-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Anybody who lives in the North East and is home when the oil man is filling the oil tank is very familar with the whistle in the vent pipe.

Ken

biggiefl
09-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree with George....would rather have a little spray on the side than a flood on my deck.

Tidbart
09-20-2012, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

John,

I have no problem at all energizing the gauges while refueling. If there is going to be a problem with fuel ignition it will come from the engine compartment, upon starting or while running. It takes quite a concentration of fumes, and an open spark, in order to even think about having a problem. Just not going to get that in the open cockpit of a boat and the gauges won't provide a spark. I will, if necessary, like when I am returning a rented car, leave the key on (engine off) to see the fuel level so as not to fill more than I used.

B

Kirbyvv
09-20-2012, 01:57 PM
I've had no problem with flooding the deck. The shut off on the gas pumps work well enough that I've never had a problem.