PDA

View Full Version : Donzi ZB-21

yembo77
09-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Just to make it official and placed in the appropriate place, I'm looking for a late 80's ZB-21. This is a Z21 bowrider. I'd prefer a partial project with good bones, priced appropriately. I'v got some feelers out and the Classified admin has been helpful.

SO! Got a Z21, Z22, or Z25, let me know, but if you have a ZB-21, I'm very interested!

-Matt Hjembo
Greenwood Lake, NY

mattyboy
09-18-2012, 04:31 PM
here is a brochure for the Z 21 line

i will keep and eye out there was one for sale out on the island about a year ago was for sale for a long time. the zb's don't surface that often the the z21 come up more often

here is a z25 in the mid atlantic area

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/3246009568.html

yembo77
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Matty,

Thanks for the brochure. And I know, even ZB-21 pictures are scarce on the web! The brochure is the best reference, IMO. I spoke to one guy in NH who has a red ZB-21, but it needs gelcoat and upholstery and he still wants $10,500. It's 6 hours from where I live and it's shrink wrapped and hasn't been used in 2 seasons.

As for an alternative, I actually took a ride to go look at this. http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/3265673817.html

It's rough. Blown 460 right off the bat, ancient trailer, poor gelcoat with spider cracks, needs a complete interior as the "new" upholstery is just incorrect, and who knows what else. BUT, right now that's my best lead on actually pulling the trigger. I might take on the project and settle for a larger Z25.

And then there's this disaster...albeit intriguing. http://hartford.craigslist.org/boa/3213802044.html
I spoke to the guy and wow. It needs a lot and he recommends taking the deck off..which is cracked.

Cig35Mistress was selling a ZB-21 earlier in the year and Just Say N20 and I are trying to get in touch.

-Matt

Just Say N20
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Matt, if you were to do something like that boat IMPULSE, if you do all the work (except repaint/re-gell), plan to spend about $20,000 - $30,000 to get it back to showroom condition, on top of the purchase price.

It always seems like it will cost less, but f_inscreenname is the only person who seems to be able to get things done for less out-of-pocket, because he seems to have the ability to rebuilt just about anything.

mattyboy
09-19-2012, 11:07 AM
the second boat in CT is not a donzi

yembo77
09-19-2012, 11:23 AM
It isn't, is it? It looks close and it might be something from an similar builder but the fiberglass around the cockpit doesn't look right. He swears it's a Donzi, and that someone put in the porthole, but still, the rear photo shows a bow to the deck? I wonder if it's a Cig or Superboat? I just thought it was a rare classic 24 foot?

-m

mattyboy
09-19-2012, 06:31 PM
the back end looks like it could be a pantera or superboat, the HIN was made mandatory in fall of 72 ask him if it has a HIN stamped on the transom.
the problem with the Pantera or superboat 24 is they were splashed almost as much as the classic hulls. not sure when python started spalshing the pantera 24

the 24 foot donzi around in 72 look nothing like that

http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pages/24feet.asp

BUIZILLA
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
the deck looks suspiciously like a P&D.........

olredalert
09-20-2012, 07:10 PM
-----P+D, Superboat, Excaliber, etc., etc.,....This is one of the most re-popped boats on earth. Probably copied more often than the 16 Classic. The lines, however, are beautiful. Its no wonder they were copied so often.....Bill S

-----Forgot "Sunsation". There are a bunch of them around here, but the graphics dont look right!

mattyboy
09-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Matt

did you see this one not a zb

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Donzi-ZX-21-NO-RESERVE-?cmd=ViewItem&hash=item19d58b8ddc&item=110956875228&pt=Power_Motorboats

yembo77
10-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Matty,

I did, but in a closed bow I think I might go with the Z25. If the price was right however. I've sent him an email.

-m

duckhunter
10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I have seen one or two 21LXRs pop up for sale over the last year. Definitely low production numbers over a couple of years, but they are out there and maybe another option for you.

Obviously I am a fan of Donzi bowriders...

motocop
10-06-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure how to include a link for you. Search "Donzi" on ebay, there is a current listing for 1987 Z21 bowrider that looks to be in nice shape. Merc 350, side exit thru hull exhaust, on a trailer, in the $5-6K neighborhood. Good luck.

yembo77
01-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Gentlemen, I've delayed in posting this but I got it. Probably the boat motocop posted about. I saw it an knabbed it!
It's an 87 zb21 with a new rebuilt 350 and many other new parts. Boat is in super nice condition and the paint has been professionally redone with awlgrip. She resting comfortably in my garage right now. I cannot wait to get her on the water!

Matt

Just Say N20
01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Congrats!

Start a new thread and post some pictures.

yembo77
01-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah I need to take some good pictures and start a new thread but I have the boat hibernating in the garage. Ill work in getting that up tonight.

Matt

mattyboy
01-09-2013, 06:46 PM
congrats on the boat looking fwd to seeing out on the lake. don't know much about the z boats or the merc but id ya need a hand give me a holla

yembo77
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Matty,

I'm looking forward to the dust off on Lake George. We should definitely get together sometime and check out the boats. Ill be in the garage on Saturday if you want to stop by. Let me know. The beer's alway cold.

Matt
201-376-6269

mattyboy
01-10-2013, 04:25 PM
this weekend is full social events for me , maybe in the near future I can stop by cold beer is good my next beer is better. I am trying to get a small run early in the spring out of the emerald , early may on a weekend.

our fall picnic is the event you'll want to come to with the z boat. the formal part ( Sat.) of the dustoff the run and show are for classics only . you are more than welcome to come up and run around on friday and sunday but on saturday you need to be in a classic . we can get ya a ride for the run on saturday.

keep us posted on the progress and i'll keep ya posted on the run.

yembo77
01-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Early may run sounds awesome. And when you say Emerald I assume the Emerald point? Looking forward to that. And yes I know it's all for classics mostly. That's cool but it'll be sweet to see all the classics in one spot. Talk to ya soon.

M

mattyboy
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Matt,

yes emerald point

I'll keep you posted figure we can get a few locals as well as some travelers together. I have some loose ends I need to work on but I am ready for next boating season .

yembo77
02-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Matty

Any idea on a tentative may weekend for a run on GWL? Making sure I'm ready to run and planning my weekends leading up to it.

Thanks,
Matt

mattyboy
02-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Matt

well the weather is warming but the lake is still frozen, there are a couple of things to work around.

The first is local the East Arm Rowing Club has their yearly regatta around that time and even with them not rowing on the main lake it will interfere with getting in and out of the arms of the lake .

The second is The performance weekend in Lake George which is May 17th-19th a few of us are trying to get there . I have another college graduationthis spring around then too. I would think maybe the weekend of the 4th or 11th would be the target maybe even the last weekend in April. Hopefully we have ice-out by St Patrick's day and give it two weeks for the floating debri from the barnfires to clear.

mattyboy
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
kinda hard to plan right now the lake is still frozen and it's winter carnival this weekend ;)

have to find out about the East Arm Rowing Club's regatta that will block up the arms and have some more traffic and the performance weekend up at LK George which is May 17-19th which some are trying to get to. I would think maybe the weekend of the 4th or 11th If you talk to Paul B maybe he would know when the EARC regatta is, I haven't run into him lately.

hopefully ice-out by St Patrick's day and debri out a week or two later.

yembo77
02-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Oh ok. My friend Anna Rose also rows with them, so I an alWays ask her too. Spoke to Paul a few weeks back and he's keeping busy.

Sounds good and I'll keep it tentative for the 4th or 11th. What is the performance weekend in LG? I gotta find out about all of theSe. I want to finally check out the races in GWL this September too!

Matt