PDA

View Full Version : Forum Topics

yembo77
09-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Gentlemen,

I'm new to the donzi community but I'm obsessed. In my efforts to gain knowledge in so many different areas of the boats, I've found myself wanting some more categories when searching donzi.net. Some ideas of those categories would be:

Builds and Restorations: Projects with pictures and progression of some of the awesome builds I've found among this forum. It's inspiring, it promotes ideas, it shows you what you're in for, it shows you the pitfalls, and it's just a great way to document the insane work some of the members do. INSANE! Some of the people here are masters.

Model profiles: This is where the specs on each model would be easily accessable in stickies and where members could post their own boats. Honestly, the best resource for this is LG donzi classic club. It's a gorgeous website with a wealth of knowledge and model info. I've seen the list threads of different models, but a lot of them link to LG donzi classic club. I also see alot of the contributors to this forum are associated with the LG club. (aside, I've grown up on LG and hope to be a part of the club someday...though probably in a Z boat. :D)

Engine/drive Manufacturers: OMC, Merc, Volvo. I'd love a resource for specs on each powertrain company, specific to donzi. When looking at a 72' Classic, I had no experience with the old volvo outdrives. I found info elsewhere online but it would be nice to find donzi specific info in a sticky. (I can't believe the old models didn't trim, with exception to the "T" models.)

Exterior: Perfect place for finish, paint, gelcoat, and exterior mods.

Interior: Mods, re-upholstery, seat hardware, controls, gauges, cockpit, steering, audio, etc.

I'm a car guy and a member and officer in my Impala SS club in NJ. I know how much time and devotion it takes to maintain a forum and to keep it up. This forum is awesome, but I thought I might throw some ideas out. Perhaps I just need to become more familiar with the forum to find what I need. In the meantime, I look forward to meeting you all and to purchasing my first DONZI!

Thanks,
Matt Hjembo
Greenwood Lake, NY

jl1962
09-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi Matt -

Welcome!

The NEW LG Donzi website is indeed awesome. Matty (who boats on Greenwood Lake), Scott and Paul H deserve most of the credit and content is being added all the time.

The Search function on .net is a goldmine w/ all kinds of information as you know. As an Impala guy - you would've been right at home at the Adirondack Nationals several weeks ago at Lake George.

Ask questions, attend an event (or 3) and get a classic Donzi and join us.

-Jay

mattyboy
09-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Matt
welcome

we are going to run a few of the donzi and cigs around greenwood lake probably the last weekend in sept or columbus day weekend. we have a few donzi owners on the lake we try to do it a few times a season then stop for lunch at a lakeside establishment. I'll keep you posted

the LGDCC has gotten great support in gathering info and manuals from it's members . we have a lot more info and manuals that are really to big to be web friendly but we can get you a digital copy. The clubs main focus is on the classics but we do appreciate all Donzis and the other Aronow offshoots from thunderboat row.
Our spring event is dedicated to the Donzi classic and our Fall event welcomes all other Donzi and other boats from thunderboat row.

We have resources and knowledge to help preserve and restore most Donzi.

I am in Greenwood Lake and try to get out on the lake if you have any question drop me a pm with your contact info and we can talk or meet up.

Just Say N20
09-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Great ideas. Like Jay already suggested, using searches will bring up some amazing information. Searching with the words "Deck Off" will bring up some great threads with a TON of information, and usually a whole bunch of pictures.

Here, in no particular order are some with a LOT of information:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?61917-Another-Deck-Off-Gas-tank-Thread&highlight=deck+off

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?63443-New-life-for-C16B67-deck-off-restoration&highlight=deck+off

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?58186-Deck-is-off&highlight=deck+off

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?36703-Break-s-over!&pp=15

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?35831-Deck-Off-Day-1&highlight=deck-off

mattyboy
09-19-2012, 08:24 AM
we also have a few different volvo manuals and spec sheets funny thing about the old volvos is they wore different name badges eaton, holman moody ,chrysler but they were all the same. the only difference that might be seen on a Donzi with a volvo over other boats with a volvo would be the lower A v8 drive ratio.

undertaker
09-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Hey Matty are the PA Donzi owners invited to this Greenwood Lake Donzi, Cig outing? I might be able to work it in my schedule if so, have a niece who lives in the Denville, NJ area and has a lake house on Green Pond, NJ....:smile:

mattyboy
09-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Ed,
sure! it is really a small gathering on a small lake , we are trying to work out the details and get as many of the lake owners out as possible trying to make sure the date works for everyone. water levels are low and hopefully they will rise in a week or so with the rain we have seen. the low level makes the lake even smaller John c was interested too i'll keep ya posted. green pond is no more 20 miles away maybe 40 minutes tops on side roads to get to greenwood lake.

yembo77
09-19-2012, 09:46 AM
No way! So cool to hear some Donzi owners are on GWL! Well I think I almost want a classic, but I like the extra cockpit space of the ZB-21 because everyone always wants to ride along. Good times with good friends is what makes being on the water fun, when you're not at WOT!

Matty, I'd like to join you on the lake in my current tub of a craft. It's only a 19' family cuddy, but I hope to send it packing come the spring. I also hope to end my search for a ZB-21 come the spring as well. I just have no passion for my current boat like a do for my Impala, which makes every penny spent on it painful. It's time for a Donzi! Do you live in GWL? I'm on the west shore, Jersey Ave., right by the NY state line, close to Jeter's castle. I've scoped some Donzi's on the lake and one guy has a nice green 22 classic in a matching green canopy! LOL Always loved that boat, but don't know the guy.

I might go look at a 1972 Classic 24' (rare) on Friday, but it's owned by an old jetboat racer and the thing needs some serious fiberglass work. The price is right, everything is there, minus outdrive and motor. So, it would mean a major project and I hope 1972 is not old enough to require a tank replacement. An 86 Minx just popped up on CL in lake Hopatcong that is friggin amazing and priced beyond right.

Thanks for all of the links. I've been getting by using the search function with some terms like "project, build, pics, outdrive" etc. This has been great as I decide where I'm going. I've come to the ZB-21 conclusion, for many reasons, but who now what'll happen. I might not be able to pass up the perfect deal.

Nice to meet you guys and I hope to meet up somewhere. I didn't get my fix in LG enough this year due to family commitments, only one long weekend, and I really miss it. I'm trying to make more of an effort to plan for a better boating year come 2013.

Thanks Again,
Matt

undertaker
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks Matty keep me posted.....:smile:

mattyboy
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
will do Ed ;). Pearson wants to run wa lo but the water in the Lake is Way Low so we are waiting for the water levels to come up a bit for the v drive

thinking it will be the first weekend in oct will have to look at the long range weather forecast.

Matt if the 72 24 needs fiberglass work and the alum tank has been foamed in and not treated or painted yeah it will need a tank replacement sooner rather than later.

the 24 hull is it a doral,spirit,el pescador or a spitfire. the 24 is a great hull will handle our washboard bathtub lake on weekends and will handle lake george nicely. the big issue with the 24 would be towing it is a big heavy boat great riding boat.

the minx is a great classic with a little more room than an 18 or 16 . any used boat can have it's issues I would get a marine survey on anything I was looking at used. I was looking more for a family donzi and did look at the z boats as well as the newer amh z22 bowriders for a family of 4, I am so glad I didn't buy one and went with an older 16 ski sporter. we enjoyed our 16 for 8 years but now we are empty nesters getting a little to old for the ride of a 16 so we went with a bigger classic, a 19 hornet. i would look at all of the classic line up hornets, gt 21 , minx, 22 to see if they will fit your needs. not saying the z21 isn't a good boat but it has different styling cues and probably will have the same if not more issues than a classic of the same age. You don't want to get into something and not be totally happy with it.

i have not seen the green 22 there are a few Donzi on the lake and a few cigs and superboats the last run usually involves me , kenny and his cig 19 , rob and his 18 classic, johnny in his 22zx, and maybe the guy out of big e's with the blue 22 if I can get a hold of him, and Pearson in one of his classics

I spent my summers in furnace brook as a kid, back in the 60's and 70's the donzi dealer on the lake lived on lake shore rd near the furnace brook beach end. I am in the village now.

yembo77
09-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Mattyboy,

Sweet! I don't know a lot of folks in the village except for my excavator and former Police Chief, Paul.

I built on Jersey Ave. in 2008. Hope to meetup sometime and check out the craft!

-M

John C in PA
09-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Matty, you made me laugh with the comment about empty nesters. My wife and i are mid-60's and she refuses to ride in the Sweet 16 any more. I don't entirely blame her as its difficult to hold on with the lounge seating (especially while holding onto the dog).

John C

olredalert
09-19-2012, 06:05 PM
---Matt,,,As an addendum to what Matty said about the 24 models,,, you dont have to yank the deck to replace a tank in any 24 as they came from the factory. They are all foamed into the inner-liner which, in a way, is the deck. Then a fiberglass cover is simply screwed over top of the tank. It is still foamed in but not that hard to remove. Look for rot in the transom as that occurs frequently...........Bill S

mattyboy
09-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Matt yes I know Paul. where do you boat out of? I'll keep you posted when we get plan on running the lake.

yembo77
09-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Matty,

I typically launch out of Greenwood Lake Small Craft on Jersey ave., actually in NJ.

Sure, let me know what you decide.

-matt

mattyboy
09-28-2012, 08:19 AM
just an update this weekend is out trying for next weekend if my schedule doesn't change

undertaker
09-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Matty how are the water levels....

:propeller:

mattyboy
09-28-2012, 10:03 AM
we have had some rain and today we are expected to get an inch or two the lake has been coming up little by little.
today should put the water level at or near normal.