PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Avoid Taking The Deck Off

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
09-17-2012, 08:15 PM
My '67 18' 2+3 V-drive has "old Donzi gas tank syndrome". I had the carb rebuilt a couple years ago, at which time we found rust colored sediment in the fuel bowls. I installed an in line water separating gas filter, and vowed to change it each spring.
Well, I broke my vow and let it slide this spring. I also stored the boat over the winter with only 1/4 tank of gas. Another negative factor in this equation is that the station where we used to buy NON ETHANOL gas for the boats went belly up last year. You can guess what happened. The gas I dumped out of the filter had rust colored particles floating around in it.
Anyhoo, another carb rebuild and a sincere renewal of my vows later, I'm crossing my fingers for next season. In addition I switched to a Tohatsu brand 10 micron filter, and plan to change it monthly. Has anybody had any luck avoiding replacing the tank by using a 10 micron filter and replacing it often? The tank shows no signs of leaking, just a slow rain of fine rust particles in the gas.

Eric

gcarter
09-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Eric,
Take a deep breath
Count to ten
Face reality
Pull the deck and do it right.

Don't wait too long.............................

Tidbart
09-18-2012, 06:57 AM
What George said.

45 year old steel tank that has been rusting for some time = ticking time bomb. Someday that tank will leak and there is chance you won't notice. Kaboom. No more tank rust to worry about and no more Eric. :eek: :nuke:

Bob

Kirbyvv
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
It's pretty intimidating to think about, but when you get right into it, it's not that tough.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?61917-Another-Deck-Off-Gas-tank-Thread&highlight=another+deck+off

Scott Pearson
09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Eric,
Bring it down here and we can get it done over a weekend! Just buy the beer...:cool:

09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks so much, Scott. I may take you up on that. What a guy!

Eric

yembo77
09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Not THAT BAD? I've been following that post and reading up on it while looking at a beat 72' classic 24 hull for sale. Just the space and equipment needed to pull the deck off is a challenge before you even do it! BUT, I've talked to boat builders, doing this sort of thing for years, and to them it's just another day. To those dude, and all who have pulled the deck off, WOW. Hats off to you. I think I'd cut the floor before pulling the deck. That statement probably shows my ignorance. LOL

Good luck man. Id take up the offer to bang it out in a weekend for beer! LOL

-Matt

09-18-2012, 03:27 PM
I've been to Scott's garage. It's the Taj Ma Donzi! He's got the hoists and most importantly, the room!
I think if I had the replacement tank ready to go we could bang it out and have the deck back on and retabbed in a day. Trouble is while the deck is off, that's the perfect time to fix that crack in the floor and recore the floor with some new balsa, and recore the transom. Having the deck off makes it easier to pull the engine and v-drive, power wash the bilge, do a little sanding, and spray some nice new smooth white gelcoat in there. Next thing you know, I'm doing a complete restoration. Where do I stop? LOL!

Eric

jl1962
09-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Ya gotta take good care of Honeybun!

Besides this boating season is almost over - 9 months till the next Dust-off.

Go for it ! (easy for me to say.....)

Good luck.

-Jay

penbroke
09-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Just do it Eric. I did mine solo in the garage. It's not that bad once you get past the thought of ripping the boat apart. There is a thread somewhere around here that shows the cheap and simple rigging I used for the lifting.

If you can get Mr. Pearson in on it that's all the better! I'm not sure that buying the beer for that weekend would save you any money though... Just sayin' :biggrin:

Frank