PDA

View Full Version : 1976 x-18

Conquistador_del_mar
09-15-2012, 12:01 PM
A friend called me this week to see the X-18 he just bought from the 2nd owner. It was originally in Kansas, but spent the last 20 years here in north Texas by the 2nd owner. It is still on the single axle Rocket trailer and has the 280 VP drive. I will get some pictures to post of the boat which is in remarkable condition along with the HID #. I told my friend that I would check here to see if anyone can confirm that this looks like the original upholstery since I questioned the front seats with the solid upholstery on the tops. These are old pics from the first owner. Also, does anyone know how many were made? Bill

mattyboy
09-15-2012, 12:25 PM
I have seen the stripe ( candycane) interior like that on an x 18 before it was original.

info on the X-18 http://www.lgdonziclassic.net/pages/X18.asp

Conquistador_del_mar
09-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Apparently the ex owner was correct when he told my friend 171 were made. I know the striped seats were made, but I don't remember seeing the solid upholstery on the tops of the front buckets before. Thanks, Bill

mattyboy
09-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Bill

yes the one I saw had the solid seat tops and backs just like that one, it was in a red and white setup though.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Thank you. I am asking because my friend wants to take it back to original - right now the upholstery is solid white, but the boat originally was the one in the pictures that the ex owner had on file. I was also surprised to see there are only 2 vents - one facing forward and the other aft. I did not remember and I have never owned one. Bill

mattyboy
09-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Bill,

I never really noticed the vents but it looks the same on the brochure boat

Conquistador_del_mar
09-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I should add that the one Mike just bought has good stringers and a solid transom - all original. I told him we will have to clean out the fuel tank and hope it is still solid with no leaks. Mike saw the guy at our local carwash on Wednesday cleaning the boat and asked if he ever wanted to sell it - ironically the guy was cleaning it for the first time in a few years to sell it. He had not run the boat for 7 years! Supposedly, it ran perfect the last time he used it before winterizing it. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
09-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Apparently, the X-18 came with only 2 vents which is something I never noticed - no wonder they are supposed to be 3 to 4MPH faster - ;). I will get some pictures and the hull # when I get with Mike over the weekend. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
09-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Here are a few pictures I took this afternoon. Mike already had it running after cleaning out the fuel tank - it sounds great with the 4" exhausts. Bill

mattyboy
09-16-2012, 08:28 AM
nice good for him :) what's the HIN

Conquistador_del_mar
09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
It is a DMR#. I would have remembered the number if it was shorter. Donzi put it under the gunwhale lip at the stb transom so it faces down instead of back. If anyone wants to know the # for some records I can get it.

mattyboy
09-17-2012, 08:00 AM
very nice boat, unusual they added red as the third color , orqnge was usually the third in the yellow and white combo on the X18. I am not a big yellow fan but mix the yellow with the orange or the red I really like that color combo. The donzi dealer on my lake had a few different Classics with that color combo, fell in love with them right away as a kid.

olredalert
09-17-2012, 05:33 PM
----Bill,,,My TRS/330 X-18 that I bought new in 1978 had black and white candystripe interior and that top panel was black. Looked great too!!!.........Bill S

Dakari
09-17-2012, 07:29 PM
I'd love to hear a little more about this X. I also have a '76 X-18, HID DMR181360576. Similar acquisition story. It was also from the second owner of the boat, with the original rocket trailer as well. She was originally brown/white color combo, but had been sprayed red by one of the previous owners. It also had (I still have) the original Marine Power 350 FLV w/ the Corvette rocker covers.

Looks like this boat has no tabs, or if there are the controls are not located where mine are, near the bilge control.

Sweet boat, I'd love to hear what she has for power, and find out what number she is.

Have fun!

-Kev

Conquistador_del_mar
09-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Mike sent me this info tonight. The hull # is DMR181330476 and the outdrive # is 2829596B. It is a 350 Chevy - beyond that I don't know except the exhaust is Glenwood. Also, I saw a quadrajet on it. Bill

donzidon
09-18-2012, 12:28 AM
I like the red interior. I have seen at least one other on the board with these colors.
Can't take credit for the condition of the boat.
Hats off the the former owner - Bill Bay of Jacksonville, FL.

Conquistador_del_mar
09-18-2012, 01:58 AM
That is a nice combination. You rarely see colored vinyl insert in that style rubrail on a Donzi, but it really sets off the red theme. Bill

Dakari
09-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the info, Bill. I'd love to see some more pic's of Mikes boat in the future, especially the engine compartment. Give him my best and I wish him well with his X.

-Kev

Just Say N20
09-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Interesting.

The gas fill was changed out for what looks like a flip up style.

Very nice looking boat.

I thought the engine vents didn't look right, but I checked a picture of my X-18 (hull 137), and they are the same.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Mike wrote me an email tonight about taking out his Donzi for the first time. Sounds like a winner! Bill

"Took the Donzi out for a spin this afternoon It ran great. No water in the oil. Tried to open it up all the way but it pulled to the right some. I’ll have to make a minor trim tab adjustment. I found out the brass prop on it is a cupped 21 pitch. Hit 56 MPH @ 4700 RPM and their was more throttle. I have to check GPS speeds next time. Very smooth on the water and turned very well . Mike"

mattyboy
10-03-2012, 06:00 AM
that first ride is always one you will remember :yes:

Dakari
10-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Sounds awesome! The X18's are great boats...I can't wait to get to Maine next weekend for one last ride in mine for the season, and do a little leaf-peeping from the lake!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Last week Mike fitted a new aluminum trailer under the X-18 so he will be selling the original Rocket trailer. If anyone has an interest, I can get you in touch with Mike. Email me at Dgill25960@aol.com Bill