PDA

View Full Version : Skag on Alpha one

Eriewaterman
09-05-2012, 12:58 PM
This weekend while dropping off my nieces my Alpha one drive hit a rock (concrete block) while trimmed up resulting in the loss of 80 % of my skag. Upon further review it looks like a previous owner beat me to it. The skag is cut horizontally aprox. 2” below the prop shaft housing and was repaired prior to my boat purchase. It looks like a previous owner tried to decrease drag and operate the boat this way. I drove the boat back to port without running at high speed so I do not know what to expect as far as performance or safety.
Besides not having the skag protecting the lower half of the prop, is it unsafe to operate the boat this way? Will I pickup some MPH with less drag?
I am considering replacing the lower unit. Was rebuilt last year do to shifting issues in the lower gear set and have noticed this issue returning.
How much should it cost to reweld new skag?

Peace

VetteLT193
09-05-2012, 01:49 PM
If you are thinking about replacing the lower and there is enough of it left I'd opt for a Skeg Guard. It's a bolt on solution. http://skeggard.com/shop/mercruiser-stern-drives/

I highly doubt you will get any performance out of not running a skeg. The downside of having no skeg is less steering (especially in case of loss of power) and it also protects the prop.

I think we have all boated with damaged skegs at one point or another. It's practically a sacrificial item :tooth:

Just Say N20
09-05-2012, 02:25 PM
How much should it cost to reweld new skag?

Those type of women usually scream so much when you try to weld them, it isn't worth it for any price.

:lol9:

I can't believe I beat Mike to it!

scgj
09-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Are the skeg guards suitable for 400-450 hp? I could use a bit more steering control and some additional prop protection. If such a thing exists, is it advisable?

Thanks

- scott -

Tidbart
09-06-2012, 06:52 AM
In answer to your cost question.... I had mine done recently at a cost of about $125 by a local welder.

B

Ghost
09-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Those type of women usually scream so much when you try to weld them, it isn't worth it for any price.

:lol9:

I can't believe I beat Mike to it!

LOL, I was unfamiliar with that use of the term. A Karl Malden joke had crossed my mind, however.

RedDog
09-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Have a new one welded on. A prop shop near me had the blanks and was ready to go. Quick repair. The bolt on skeg guard would likely flex due to water pressure

Just Say N20
09-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Mike, so close.

Just Say N20. Got to have the spaces, and when I first registered, I accidentally used a zero (0) instead of a capital O.

What an awesome guy that Mike "Ghost" is!

dwiggl
09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Over in the outboard world where boats tend to "fly" a bit; the general rule is that if the boat goes over 55, don't trust a weld job. Above those speeds a skeg loss can cause a tail slide from prop torque. And then you roll......
Depends on drive height I quess, but why take chances?