PDA

View Full Version : ouch a good reminder for lanyards and pfds

mattyboy
09-03-2012, 10:01 AM
saw this clip on the cbs nat'l news this morning glad the injuries where not worse, just a reminder how quick things can go wrong

from loto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtwaotRf09U

mario
09-03-2012, 12:56 PM
wow that driver went right down that was unreal

Conquistador_del_mar
09-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Apparently he did not read the oncoming waves with any degree of experience. Some of his passengers got a good taste of gelcoat because of it. Bill

mattyboy
09-04-2012, 10:37 AM
looking at this again, is this a normal setup for a non racing( no throttleman) bigger right handed helm go fast Throttles on the left side of the helm pod?? would think in a recreational setting they might be knocked unintentionaly at the wrong time by a passenger. in this case they were in the right spot.

Not sure but the driver has a watch on his left hand and something on his right can't make it out in the video could be a lanyard. lucky in this case has he leaves the helm his arm cuts the throttle back then you see the leash for the keys or the kill switch snapping around the throttles , then the girl with the pig tails finally winds up bending the throttle levers over with her shoulder all that after she took a full face of the lake. Just can't figure out what the driver was doing with the throttles he looked like the wizard of oz controlling his alter persona behind the curtain.

Bill yes, from the looks of it he had know idea what was coming.

CHACHI
09-04-2012, 10:41 AM
I can relate to all of this.

they are very lucky.

Ken

VetteLT193
09-04-2012, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]looking at this again, is this a normal setup for a non racing( no throttleman) bigger right handed helm go fast Throttles on the left side of the helm pod?? would think in a recreational setting they might be knocked unintentionaly at the wrong time by a passenger. in this case they were in the right spot.

Not sure but the driver has a watch on his left hand and something on his right can't make it out in the video could be a lanyard. lucky in this case has he leaves the helm his arm cuts the throttle back then you see the leash for the keys or the kill switch snapping around the throttles , then the girl with the pig tails finally winds up bending the throttle levers over with her shoulder all that after she took a full face of the lake. Just can't figure out what the driver was doing with the throttles he looked like the wizard of oz controlling his alter persona behind the curtain.

Bill yes, from the looks of it he had know idea what was coming.[/QUOTE]

All fountains in the performance line have the sticks on the left. (except the 24CS). There is plenty of debate back and forth as to which setup is better on a pleasure boat.

As to what he was doing with the sticks... looks like they were hauling the bacon over some waves/wake whatever and the boat was catching some air so he was throttling through it. Look closely and you'll notice just before the crash a portion of the vid was cut out. Basically when he crashed they were going full throttle, you can see right after the edit the sticks were all the way forward.

mattyboy
09-04-2012, 11:17 AM
yeah looks to me he went from full throttle to full off about 3 times in a few seconds also looks to me he cut the throttle way back when he knew he was in trouble just before the boat hooked and he left the helm.

VetteLT193
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I can tell you one thing... I don't think my arm is capable of moving that fast back and forth :shocking:

BOSTONCAMARO
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
the other day, while idling, I turned around just to look to see if anyone was behind me, was going to do a hole shot....shut off was release with lanyard and I thought, thank god I am using this!