PDA

View Full Version : What's under my V-Berth?

WAdonziZX
08-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and new to donzi's. I just purchased a 1999 22' ZX earlier this year and have been enjoying the heck out of this great boat. After a couple of full weekends on the water though, I have been searching for better ways to store some equipment around the boat. In the front berth there appears to be a lot of potential storage space under the side berth cushions, however mine are carpeted (glued down) and I am not sure what might be inside these boxed in areas.

So, before I tear the insides apart, does anyone know why these appear to be sealed up? Is there foam or something else in there I shouldn't mess with? Any reason that I can't install lids/doors to store lifejackets, etc.?

Thanks in advance for all your insights and help. And also, if any 22zx owners have already done this or already have storage up in the vberth, could you post a pic?

DonziJosh
08-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Those areas are foam-filled.

WAdonziZX
08-23-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks, Josh. I just checked again today and I wanted to clarify that the area we are talking about is the same. This raised area in the picture is foam filled (outsides of v-berth area)? I was knocking on it around this area and it sounds hollow. It might just be a low-density foam, but I wanted to double check with you. That area looks so prime for storage it kills me!

DonziJosh
08-27-2012, 10:20 AM
As it turns out, I may have been incorrect (even though I'm sure I remember two-part foam going under those subfloors). I spoke with Chuck Wagner, who has handled customer service and warranty at Donzi for many years. He says there's not foam in those areas, but he would advise against cutting into those areas, citing structural issues. Sorry for the misinformation!

WAdonziZX
08-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Josh, thanks for looking into this a little deeper. I appreciate the correction and thank you for contacting Chuck Wagner, I'm sure he is great resource. I think whether its structural issues or required flotation, you have already convinced me to stay out of this area. Looks like I'll have to get more creative for extra storage!

Thanks again, Nick