PDA

View Full Version : Hull Cleaner protection

TBroccoli
08-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Every so often I get a little tan haze on the white bottom of the boat. Scrubbing with soap and sponge does nothing. THe hull cleaner I use (West Marine) removes it easily. My question is: Do I need to wax or put any other type of protection on the area I just cleaned with the hull cleaner? I would think the wax would wear off right away since the area is below the water line. I have noticed that if I clean with the hull cleaner the tan haze comes back quickly. What can I use to protect?

jl1962
08-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I use Starbrite w/ Teflon. Depending upon where you boat, what type of water and how long between pulling the boat out, you should be able to re-apply 2 or 3 times/season and the boat should wipe clean.

A lot of the hull cleaners (like FSR) have acids (toilet bowl cleaner) which will get the boat clean but make the gel more porous - exactly what you don't want.

I think a painted hull can be kept cleaner than gel for the same reason. My sailboat which lives in Long Island Sound has been Awl-Gripped and stays really white. Gel boats of the same or newer age, get yellow really fast.

BOSTONCAMARO
08-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I have been wondering about hull cleaners myself, last night I cleaned the boat quick before it goes back in water, we got the boat this year and even after cleaning there is a faint yellow-ish water stain from where the boat sits in the water, I have used various compounds which got most out but not all, what do you guys suggest?

I am going to give it a full cleaning before winter...

thanks, tim