PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations? parts list? Ford to Chevy Swap

BOSTONCAMARO
07-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Ok, so for now we are fixing the broken pulley on the 302 Ford, but have decided, as we knew we would to slowly start gathering parts for a Chevy swap..

I want to retain the OMC it runs great and I know people hate them but ours is good.

What aluminum style exhaust manifolds would be ideal? any particular style? vintage ones fit the Sweet 16 well for a thru hull set up once we do the Chevy swap?

Anyone have a line on a bellhousing? also will need motor mounts, accessory drive belts/power steering etc...

I appreciate the input, we build a lot of cars, also have done a few boats but likely will get fairly radical on this build.

Regards and thanks in advance.

Tim

f_inscreenname
07-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Not sure how radical you can get with an OMC. You may want to look into it before going ahead.
Shame you didn't come up with this idea a couple months ago. I just gave away a Chevy 307/OMC from prop to pulleys.
Get a hold of Tom at http://www.cobemarine.com/ and see what he still has left.

BOSTONCAMARO
07-23-2012, 11:52 PM
well not too radical, but a nice 350, 202 heads etc...I would also entertain swapping to an Alpha One, nothing is set in stone...

duckhunter
07-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Sterndrive Engineering (SEI) makes an OMC to Alpha conversion kit for $350; it says that it works for Cobra drives so not sure if that helps in your application. They sell complete outdrives too and are worth a look.

On the SBC exhaust side I am running some GLM aluminum manifolds and 4" risers and they have worked out great thus far. I think they came in around $800, but actually only $100 more than the cast iron setup when you figure in the shipping. Certainly easier to manhandle and probably around 80# removed from the rear of the boat.

BOSTONCAMARO
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
so tell me more about this OMC conversion kit, is it a kit to let you bolt on an Alpha one easier? going to look at that now...

duckhunter
07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Here is the link: SEI Cobra conversion kit (http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9D-116&Category_Code=Cobra). There are pictures there and a .pdf installation manual.

And the text from their website:

Replace 1986-1993 Cobra drives that shift in the lower unit.
Does not replace King Cobra drives.
If you have a fuel injected motor with the shift bracket at the front of the engine, please call us to order.
The throw of the shifter must be changed. You may need to purchase a new shifter
if your current one cannot change the throw of the shift cable.
300HP Limit.
You will need to purchase a new prop and hardware to fit the SE116 drive.
This kit does not keep the function of the trim position sensor. You could make an adjustable L bracket to activate the plunger.
Designed to work with our SE116 drive.
The drive does need to be modified slightly.
If purchasing the drive, please note that you will want to purchase the install kit and anode kit at the same time.
If the drive is ordered at the same time as the Conversion kit, we will modify the drive at no charge.

NHGuy
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Some very nice marine exhaust http://www.cpperformance.com/c-9-exhaust-systems.aspx/