PDA

View Full Version : Fun until the crank pulley splits in two!

BOSTONCAMARO
07-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Yup, we threw the belts, my father then said he ahd a bad feeling, thought pulley may have split,,,,rest of boat, clear from heavy rust, pulley on balancer was not, it split.

Can this be done in the boat? or easiest way to pull the motor? also will the motor come up with manifolds on it?

Might be time for a Small Block Chevy swap....ugh

f_inscreenname
07-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I would need to see it. :bonk:

MOP
07-23-2012, 06:45 AM
The pulley set is separate from the balancer, you may have fun getting the bolts out but definitely doable!. My 16 had a hatch in the seat back so the cam could be changed, would also have a pulley change much easier.

BOSTONCAMARO
07-23-2012, 08:31 AM
we are going to pull the motor....ugh

will the motor come out with the manifolds on it?

Just Say N20
07-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I would take the manifolds off. The engine has to be turned sideways to come out and all the extra clearance you can get helps.

BOSTONCAMARO
07-23-2012, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

thanks!

BOSTONCAMARO
07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Motor coming out this weekend, replacing the pan, dipstick etc while it is out....

Will start gathering parts to do a SBC swap down the road

Here is the crank pulley, will the front part of it anyway....72417

BOSTONCAMARO
08-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Want something done right? do it yourself....

Almost back together, we brought the boat to a few marinas and were met with the following.

A. dont have time
B. dont want to touch it
C. crazy high price to fix

Oil pan looks good, no other heavy rust which was odd, but good, all looks well, so we just did the pulley with the motor in the boat, basically a $100 fix with the pulley, belts etc

Should have it back up the lake Labor Day, then use it at other lakes this fall before storing it.

BOSTONCAMARO
08-21-2012, 10:47 PM
FIXED!!! back in the water next weekend!

Just Say N20
08-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Congratulations!

I have never seen anything where one part was so rusted, and yet the rest of the engine is OK. Weird.

Is there an opening in your L-lounge seat for access to the front of the engine? If not, you must be some kind of Yoga-Contortionist-Jedi master to change pulleys on the front of the engine with it in the boat. Not a lot of fun.

BOSTONCAMARO
08-22-2012, 09:06 AM
someone did put an access hatch in that measures 9 X 13...could put a little larger one in, that would help even more. I am pretty fit, muscular guy 6/1 240 and have giant bear paw hands, so was tough to get at, I got a lot of it apart then my dad and his friend put it back together....belts are super straight and true, everything is painted and detailed now, so hope to be all set for awhile...