PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 18 vs. Minx

Hydro2k
07-22-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm looking at getting my first Donzi. I have been focusing on the 18 but my brother tells me that he's heard it doesn't ride especially well. He thinks I should be looking at the older 20' Minx. Anybody have a comment on the ride of the 18 and if the Minx is a good alternative?

mattyboy
07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
The minx will definitely have a more of an in the boat feeling than the on the boat feeling of an 18

gcarter
07-22-2012, 10:31 AM
I've not owned an 18, but the Minx is a bit larger, quite a bit higher, drier, a little less nimble,
and quite a bit more "civilized" than an 18.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24251&d=1159754530

mattyboy
07-22-2012, 10:51 AM
the minx in good shape are a little harder to come by and will probably carry a higher price tag than an 18 ( except the x-18 and corsican) of the same vintage and in the same shape.
The 18 will be more agile and fun to drive, the minx is everything George stated. really depends are where you boat and what your boating style is. first time I have ever heard the 18 doesn't ride well, if you can get to an event in your area and get a ride in the models you're interested in. that would help make your decision.

Carl C
07-22-2012, 11:18 AM
18s ride just fine once you learn how to drive them. It's amazing that I've seen them hang with my 22 in pretty mixed up water.

roadtrip se
07-22-2012, 01:21 PM
In this comparison, I would consider the 18 versus the 22 Classic. The 18 is an all out, push yourself kind of boat, a driver's boat. The Minx is like a sheltered 18, without the nimbleness of the 18, with like-like power, normally. The 22 has the big water and sheltered feeling, and can be made to be nimble with a Big Block, which most have.

We bought a Scorpion 18 for my wife. After tuning the handling a little, she ran it hard, and well into the mid-70's. While she had ridden with me, she had no offshore experience. She mastered it, and did very well garnering compliments from folks at the runs, for her ability to really make that boat do its thing.

One key consideration, your passengers, if you carry many, are going to be happier in a 22 or a Minx. I for one, at 6'4", feel like a keystone cop as a passenger in an 18.

Donzi Vol
07-22-2012, 07:37 PM
George's comments are right on with the differences. Both boats ride and drive great, they're just fundamentally different. I love my 18, but I've always wanted a Minx. I understand that I'll have to either take on a second boat some day, or make a trade-off of the fun/excitement factor for the comfortability factor.

Like trip said, a lot also depends on your passengers. If I had a longer boat with a windshield and higher freeboard (Minx), I would have more people prone to ride with me. Good thing I only like hanging out with exciting people.

Good luck with the search. Try to find a couple to hop in, or at least test drive whichever boat you lean toward before making the purchase.

VetteLT193
07-23-2012, 07:51 AM
The Minx is a 22 but 2 feet shorter and taller. A lot less has been done with the Minx in terms of performance upgrades so it's more of an unknown how big power would do in one... There are just a ton more 18's and 22's out there so there are more people that have tinkered with them.

The Minx is the only classic that has a windshield that works. (besides the 22's that had the eyebrow windshields)

Relative to the rest of the classics the Minx is more civilized. More of a gentleman's performance boat.

On Donzi runs that have ocean involved in them I have yet to see an 18. I know they have run in the past but the reality is guys that run in big water frequently end up upgrading to a 22. The Minx will hang with the 22 in the big stuff better than the 18, the passengers are just more comfortable and protected. If you are alone though, either would do.

So... if you boat in bigger water, longer cruising, with passengers, etc: go Minx. If you lake boat, do a lot of slow speed zones (the Minx is hot as hell in slow speed zones in summer because the windshield works), or will be alone most of the time: go 18.