PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank pickup options.

scippy
07-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I've had my twin (65 gal.)custom belly tanks that were fabricated for my magnum for some time now.
Just getting around to prep the aluminum tanks with the coal tar recipe before placing them in the hull.
I want to change out the pickup & shut off valves.72351
The old pickups (pictured) used dis-similar metals (brass valve & copper tubes) would that matter going
into an aluminum tank?.....What would be the best to replace with? and in what type metal?....I already
have the new sending units just looking for new pickups & valves....................Thanks

gcarter
07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Your tank MFGR should be able to supply you w/aluminum pickups of the proper length w/screens on the bottom, mine did.
Just remember, gas isn't an electrolite.

gcarter
07-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Here's a Moeler;

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/MOE-033500-12/Fuel+Pick-up+tube.html?utm_source=feed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google&gdftrk=gdfV22933_a_7c742_a_7c4604_a_7cMOE_d_033500 _d_24&gclid=CMr9x67tqbECFQUGnQod9mwAgg

Conquistador_del_mar
07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Pete,
I believe my Magnum has the same pickups. My thinking is that if they look that good after 40+ years, why change? Bill

f_inscreenname
07-21-2012, 12:55 AM
1969 race boat had those same pick ups. Looked like new when taken out. Any of the newer plastic tanks I've fooled with all have plastic tubes and aluminum fittings like Fixx said.

scippy
07-21-2012, 01:52 AM
George,
I'll call the tank fabricator on Mon. and see if he can hook me up with something in all aluminum.
Some how I thought afixing mixed alloys together would cause premature corrosion in the aluminum.
I guess not...........thanks for the Moeller web site.

Bill,
Does look good for almost 40 yrs, but the shut off is very hard to turn, almost seized. I was thinking
maybe a ballcock valve with a handle.....something with ease and more reliable.

Fixx,
2 427 SB's..........I've seen the simple 90* fittings but would like a simple shutoff rather close to the pickup.
If you don't mind, can you take me through a typical run through of systems that gasoline goes (thru) from
tank to engines.
like what would be the best system (filters, pumps) for a twin engine setup such as mine........Thanks

scippy
07-21-2012, 02:00 AM
f_screen,
I have new tanks with old pickups maybe plastic and aluminum is the way to go.

MOP
07-21-2012, 06:01 AM
My forward tank has a brass setup since 1986 with no signs of corrosion, the worry about dissimilar metal fittings is way over played. Most here know I have worked on boats a lot longer than most here are old, brass fitting have been used on every type of metal tanks for many years. Aluminum fittings if not installed properly tend to gall the threads making removal if needed a real pain, or disaster wiping out the threads in the tanks boss. Use products specific to the application, there are quite a few out there do your home work. Yellow Teflon and Gasoila soft set are my favorites both will allow fitting removal if needed, always take care when tightening it is easier than you think to split the boss on a tank. No matter what sealant type you use alway leave the first two threads bare, this is especially true with tapes that can let off bits and pieces.

http://www.alliedelectronics.com/Gasoila-Chemicals.html

scippy
07-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks MOP ........My old pickups came to within an inch of the bottom & without screens.
the tube dia. is about 1/4"......should I not worry or solder a half mushroom with screens?
How about the fuel lines? rigid or flex?..........Also, this might might be a little dumb to ask,
but what components would lay between the gas tank and engines? .....filters first?

Conquistador_del_mar
07-22-2012, 12:55 AM
Pete,
It was actually my 1971 Donzi 18' that has the same fuel tank fittings. Here is the post I made a few years ago. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?52903-1971-18-2-3-getting-started&p=461527&viewfull=1#post461527

MOP
07-22-2012, 09:05 AM
My take on some of what was said above! I have learned to hate pickup screens, over the years I have seen many boats boats towed in due to krap plugging the screens. The way our boats get run the last thing we need is fuel restriction! I like hard lines in inaccessible areas, I feel even the newer upgraded hose will break down over time. Also a good pre-engine filter along with the existing engine filter will take care of anything coming from the tank, I gone to two in line spin on cans with this darn corn gas. The two cans did not raise my fuel line vacuum enough to even think about it.

Phil

gcarter
07-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Pete;
Take a look here and the next several pages. Start w/post 1213.
The hose is USCG approved, steel reinforced, fire resistant in -8 size.
Since I raised the tank top to increase capacity, I mounted the shut off valve remotely.
This is the pickup supplied by the tank MFGR. I also had to slot the under side of
the center hatch to clear the pickup, hose and fittings. You can make up this hose yourself,
and it's pretty easy to do.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?50476-Now-I-m-getting-serious/page81

In your case, you double up everything, and the two tanks can be manifolded together.
The big Racor filters are good for about 120 GPH and essentially "0" restriction. Also
they have great mounting characteristics. Buizilla reccomended the Racor filter.
The pump is a Holley Blue Pro (I think it's called) and is good with alcohol. The Holley
regulator has an electric pressure pickup w/a fuel pressure gauge mounted in the dash.

scippy
07-23-2012, 01:49 AM
Bill, MOP, George,
I really dig the senoir guys on this site!....felt a little hesitant to ask about such simple things
(path of gas from tank to engine) seems a very novice thing to ask and felt even dumber to
ask, but got great responses with even better illustrated pictures ......for me, it clicks when I
can read your take on things and visualize it........oh ya, and love the pictures!