PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tabs/steering, speedo, Sweet 16

BOSTONCAMARO
07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Ok, so we put the boat in the water, it runs unreal. I do have a few questions, be great to get some input.

TRIM TABS
We notice that at real low, headway speeds the boat is a little squirelly, in that the steering is very sensitive, I am assuming this is normal and also am thinking maybe trim tabs will help at low end cruising as well as on the top end. Any recommendations for trim tabs? we just want simple ones, do not need to be electric adjustable ones. At speed and flat out the boat really goes great and drives straight as an arrow.

SPEEDO
The speedo isnt working, where is the first place to start looking? likely the transducer? It does not read at all.

Thanls, Tim

silverghost
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Tim~

Deep V boats like the Donzi tend to zig-zag & wonder at very low speeds.
Adjustable trim tabs when pushed almost all the way down will stop this zig-zag action as well as slow down the boat for no wake marina areas.
You would not want tabs that are fixed & stationary in this manner for higher boat speeds.
Fixed trim tabs do not really work very well on these boats; or most other boats for that matter.
They are just a big performance compromise.
Usually fixed tabs work well at only one boat speed ; but will work against you at most other speeds.

The auto-adjustable plastic tabs that automatically bend themselves are a joke !

Get a set of real electro/hydraulic adjustable trim tabs.
They are worth every dollar you spend on them.

The hydraulic units are the best in my opinion.

Re: Speedo issue~
Most simple boat speedos (Non GPS or, Electronic paddle pulse) are usually just a big water pressure gauge.
Check the pick-up on the transom, if you have one there ?.
Other pressure pick-ups are usually directly part of the outdrive itself.
It is very common for these pick-up units to plug-up with dirt + seaweed etc.
I like the Stainless Steel aftermarket pick-ups.. Not the cheap plastic transom units.
The interconnecting pressure tubing hose has also been known to dry-out and crack also; or pull-off of the transom pick-up or speedo fitting.

Use an air hose to gently blow air pressure at the pick-up to see if the gauge itself actually moves & registers..

BOSTONCAMARO
07-16-2012, 12:59 PM
thanks for the info on trim tabs, I will look into an adjustable electronic ones this winter

the speedo does have a sending unit at bottom of the transom, will check to see if it is clogged or disconnected...that is what we were thinking maybe clogged with dirt, debris

my dad is still in Maine now (nice retired life!) so will tell him about the trim tabs and I guess we will just have to get use to the steering

Just Say N20
07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
If the speedo pick up seems OK and unclogged, the "blow into the hose" to check to see if the gauge moves is a good idea.

A cracked hose with give you low/no reading, but it WILL allow all that water that should be creating pressure to come into the boat. While this isn't a big volume of water, if you are unaware of it, it could become a problem.

The good news is that the plastic pitot tubes are very inexpensive.

BOSTONCAMARO
07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
thanks, I saw a complete kit, faria at that... for like 20 bucks on ebay

I am going to check out whats up with mine and go from there

mattyboy
07-17-2012, 08:06 AM
the tubing for the speedo, if it is cracked in the boat and you have the pickup down you'll get a lot of water in the boat after a good run.

I had an older 16 no trim but with tabs I used them at first but has time went on I used them less and less by the time I sold it I didn't use the tabs at all.

the hunting is something you just get used to I had a long no wake zone to travel before the main lake. at first just trying to hold it straight I looked like a drunken sailor, but in time you just get the feel for the shift from side to side and it becomes second nature to make the small adjustment ,your wake will look like a cork screw but the boat will track straight and true.

adding tabs will have some benefits in leveling side to side and holding the nose down for boats without trim but they also have some quirks too , especially in turns.

I would get a season or two in the boat before making the leap to tabs

BOSTONCAMARO
07-17-2012, 08:43 AM
thanks for the info...

I am thinking the speedo pick up /transducer is clogged or line is clogged, will check it next weekend

thanks for the info on the trim tabs...I will hold off for now, get use to it