PDA

View Full Version : Internal Flappers with Salisbury Rubber Flappers

Bobby D
07-12-2012, 06:35 AM
I understand the benefits however are internal flappers alone sufficient? Stainless Marine built my exhaust system to go right to the transom and fabricated new tips with internal flappers. Jerry at SSM did an excellent job fabricating the new tips and I really like the look without the rubber flappers, any thoughts on this?

VetteLT193
07-12-2012, 07:51 AM
There are a lot of guys that don't run any flappers. Do you find yourself in situations that sends water into the tips? If not, I think the internal set is more than enough.

mattyboy
07-12-2012, 08:09 AM
I have seen a 350 on a cig19 run for about 8 years with SSM risers and slash cut tips with just internal flappers no issues. Boat is on a lift so it doesn't have water hitting the transom while docked. That would be my only concern being an 18 sits a little lower than a cig waves breaking directly into the pipes

Ghost
07-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Ditto the comments above.

Your new tips look great in the pic. (As does the silver gimbal--is that a DP?)

CHACHI
07-12-2012, 12:10 PM
+2, I am with matty and Ghost.

Ken

pipnit
07-12-2012, 02:15 PM
You shouldn't have a problem. I have some stainless marine exhaust and tips on my boat and they appear to be lower than yours and I have no problem with just the internal flappers in there. Here is what mine look like:

and this is how the boat sits in the water:

Bobby D
07-13-2012, 09:51 PM
My boat is stored inside on the trailer when not being used and yes it does sit low in the water. Since I already have the rubber flappers I decided to put them on and see how it goes. The outdrive is not a DP it’s an SX with 1.43:1 gears. The Orange Whip looks awesome thanks for the picture now I have something to compare with. First start picture taken yesterday.

mike o
07-14-2012, 07:04 AM
I went this way, they will slide right over, tame the bark @ idle, no Hp loss....... :)
http://www.drewmarine.com/products/shotgun/shotgun.html

mattyboy
07-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Bobby,

is the X dim up on the 18 ?? those tips are high, looking good

are those trumpet tips? they looked to be flared, could just be the angle of the photo

Bobby D
07-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Matt,
The previous owner was an X Volvo Penta employee and took out the 270 because he was rebuilding the transom and I wanted power trim. He installed the 5.7 Gsi EFI with the SX. Installation x-dim is 14 5/8" if he remembered correctly. He switched the SX to left a hand prop 14 3/4 x 23 and clamed getting about 70 - 72 mph at max tilt and 4900 RPM. He also decided on using the 1.43:1 drive not the 1.50:1. I never came near those performance numbers, however I plan on using the 23 and see how it performs. I also have a near new Turbo Vector that I purchased from Big Grizz but the old mill was on the way out and could not turn it past 4400. I am very happy and love having power trim and power steering. The SX is basically an OMC casting with Volvo Penta internals. The tips are not flared they were made to replace what I had.
Bobby