PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE! Bilge Pump Replacement in 92 16

BOSTONCAMARO
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
The boat is a 1992 Sweet 16, ford 302, OMC drive

I found the bilge pump but cant see how it is mounted? is it only the stiff ribbed line that goes to it that locates the bilge pump down below the motor? or is there mounts into the hull? I do believe it to be original to the boat so any tips or tricks would help...

I checked the wiring up at the switch and all seems well, power etc, jumped another new bilge pump off it, so am quite certain it is the pump itself that failed in my boat. I appreciate any help you guys can offer me.

Regards, Tim

gcarter
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Many bilge pumps mount on a detachable bottom "cap" that's screwed to the inside of the hull.
If so mounted, you remove it by releasing the tabs on the sides of the cap that holds it together.

Ghost
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Not sure how tight it is in the motorbox, but I've had good luck in the past using a digital camera to "see" what I couldn't otherwise. Down in the bowels of my Nova I was able to sort things out that way, which I'd never have been able to do by feel, with a mirror, etc. Usually fewer than about 1 pic in 5 was worth seeing or in focus, but with digital...

joseph m. hahnl
07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
My Rule automatic is mounted on a free floating lead 4x4 sheet.It came that way when I got the boat. Absolutly the best way to go. The pump stays in place but easily moves out of the way for putting the oil changing tub under the engine.:wink:

mike o
07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Some have 2 tabs, some turn - twist out and the base stays in. Give it a couple of taps with a stick. You might get lucky and it will work. If dosent, find a friend with a LONG arm, + dive in and replace with the twist off one. The discharge hose comes up with the twist off higher output pump. Be gentle, with the plastic part, where the hose attaches to the pump. It is easy to brake that connection plastic part on the pump , with an old stiff hose......:biggrin:

Conquistador_del_mar
07-09-2012, 08:12 PM
"My Rule automatic is mounted on a free floating lead 4x4 sheet.It came that way when I got the boat. Absolutly the best way to go. The pump stays in place but easily moves out of the way for putting the oil changing tub under the engine.:wink: "

Cool idea I have not ever seen. As far as the pump is concerned, it will probably release with tabs on the sides or it will release by twisting it. By the way, my Rule 1500 pump sounded horrible and then quit so I replaced it with a new one. After I got out the old one, I saw that a piece of wood debris was wedged between the impeller and the housing. After I removed it, the pump runs fine so I kept it as a spare. Bill

MOP
07-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Don't twist a Rule pump which is what my 91 16 came with! Break the base and you will have a bioch of a job replacing it! They come out straight up using the two release tabs, feel around the base the to see if it had two indents. The indents are on the sides without the hose outlets, my 10 cents is on it is a square Rule pump. Mounting it on a piece of lead sheet does work very well, if you do that you have to snip the screw tips of. Free floaters do bounce around, the sharp screw tips scratch the the hull over time.

BOSTONCAMARO
07-10-2012, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

the pump is yellow with a black base, also directly in front of it,,,,heading towards the bow is a blue rectangular box, it is coated in rubber or resin of some type, looks original, not sure what it is.

I am going to check it out more tonight...I am 6/1 240, pretty muscular, built...and I think I am going to have a bioch of a time getting this thing out...is it typically easier to access from one side or the other? say if looking at the engine block...easier to reach down to the right, or left?

thanks to everyone for the replies!

Tidbart
07-10-2012, 10:00 AM

The blue box is a float switch for the bilge pump. Power should go to the switch then to the pump. Very possible that switch is bad or stuck and the pump is still good. The wiring from the switch is probably pretty flimsy, worth checking.

Good luck on squeezing in there. I had an 18, and that sucked. So I imagine the 16 is a real joy.

You could also consider yanking an exhaust manifold to give some room. Or, hiring a local Vietnamese....:wink:

B

BOSTONCAMARO
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM

hi, I figured the blue thing is a float switch......I am going to try tonight

so do you think the blue float switch will float and actually turn on the bilge, could it be that this set up will only actually turn on if there is water in the bilge? or should the bilge switch turn it on manually as well? wonder if I should try putting water in it and see?

it is currently in the driveway, not in water

My accountant at work, is a VERY hot, attractive Viet girl...but am thinking her fake boobs may limit her ability to get down near the pump as well

thanks, Tim

Ghost
07-10-2012, 11:33 AM
My accountant at work, is a VERY hot, attractive Viet girl...but am thinking her fake boobs may limit her ability to get down near the pump as well

Makes sense to give it a shot. Tight, smooth clothing will make it easier for her to move around. Like I said, a digital camera is a must for this kind of work...

Tidbart
07-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Filling the bilge is worth a shot. Block off the forward drain area, toward the front of the bidge, so you don't fill up the whole hull. Also, jack the trailer up some in the front.
Let us know how it goes

Bob

Still like the accountant idea. :yes:

BOSTONCAMARO
07-10-2012, 02:20 PM

this is her last week, so will open the door, we will exchange numbers etc..she is really cool, already had asked when are we going out in the boat...

I am going to try the bilge idea tonight, fill it, see what happens, be great if the switch stuck and this miraculously fixes it...