PDA

View Full Version : How important is the cathode steering fin

tom g
07-09-2012, 03:22 PM
The fin got knocked off but round alum? circle is still there. There seems to be a small opening (which needs a plug) right above it. Is that important as well. Thanks

Tidbart
07-09-2012, 04:04 PM
The hole is for a wrench to remove the cathode. It normally has a plastic plug in it fot looks. The tab is important to help counter torque. If you didn't need it, it would not be there. Not the end of the world if it is gone but it is easily replaced.

MOP
07-10-2012, 07:41 AM
The fin is no longer present on I/O applications, it is not needed with power steering. The fin is still needed on outboards not so much for hydraulic setups, and not at all for counter rotation setups.

VetteLT193
07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
to extend what MOP said, I think Merc dropped the fin when they went to the Gen II alpha in the early 90's. My Bravos don't have the fins and the replacement zinc kits come with the flat part.

I used the fin version on my Minx because the steering was manual.

joseph m. hahnl
07-10-2012, 04:45 PM
They come in three flavors for the progressive pitch on props. I think anything over a 21P would be finless. Just make sure it is still tight. If the prop hits it it can brake the cavitation plate.

tom g
07-12-2012, 10:44 PM
ima gone boating dis weeknd
tom g