PDA

View Full Version : Does this make cents !

DON N.
07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I was asked a question today about closing a large indoor inground concrete tiled olympic
sized swimming pool that is 4 feet deep at one end 10 feet deep at the other end , anyway the question is if the pool is to remain drained for maybe years , someone said it needs to
have holes drilled in the bottom to relieve hydraulic pressure . Does this sound right ? $ the
pool is in upstate ny , and i'm not sure if the room would remain heated .

duckhunter
07-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Not sure about NY, but here in Alabama we have to keep water in the pool to keep it from "floating" from water table pressure. From that perspective drilling some holes makes sense, but might be kind of messy if it burps mud and ground water into the dry pool - especially indoors.

An alternative might be to throw a roof on it and make a zombie shelter. Enough food and ammo stacked in there should weigh it down and keep it from floating!

DON N.
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
The pool is already drained and it is inside a school , i've just never heard of drilling holes in the bottom , i thought maybe it's some new engineering idea .

BUIZILLA
07-10-2012, 06:24 AM
it's all in the water table...

earthquakes notwithstanding however

seabuddy
07-10-2012, 06:55 AM
inside a building, sorry, I can not offer any opinion.

maddad
07-10-2012, 12:40 PM
If they fill it with sand, there's no problem with water table or anyone falling in it.