PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Rose 1976?

rmv42158
07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Good afternoon. My father had what i beleive was a 1976 Donzi 2+3. It was named the Yellow Rose. After his death in 1983 the boat was traded into Merritt Marine in Long Beach Island, NJ then sold. Just putting a feeler out there to see if any one in NJ has seen or heard of it. Unfortantly I donot have any VIN#'s. Thanks for anyinput. Happy 4th.

DON N.
07-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Years back at lake george i had a 1968 yellow donzi 18 named doozie and a guy named don had a 1976 red and white donzi 18 and he was from nj , said i should have named my boat yollow rose , but then he told me a story of a yellow donzi 18 named yellow rose that was circling a barge and tug ? Towing the barge and a tow cable popped out of the water as this 18 went in between the tow boat and barge and killed the guy driving the yellow rose . Does anyone else remember hearing any thing like that ?

BUIZILLA
07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
that is a true story Don, but I thought it involved a 16 maybe? RedAlert would know...

mattyboy
07-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Don
the story involved a 16 with a couple they were wake jumping and cut between the tug and the barge the tow cable decapitated them both. the resulting lawsuit is said to be related to the stop in production of the 16 and the sale from the Chisholm's to the Staples. the suit was based on a design flaw the arguement was if the 16 had a windshield it may have helped. There is also a story that a guy was killed on lake george in a 16 when he stuffed it jumping the wakes of one of the cruise ships.

will keep an eye out for any info if it comes by the club's way on yellow rose.

DON N.
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks matty , i didn't remember it being a 16 but the rest of it is what i heard .

mike o
07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
The guy who hauls my boats around the east coast use to work @ the marina in Dunham's Bay on LG yrs ago. Some kid working @ that marina back then, was driving that green barrel back v drive hanging on the lake. He was thrown out of that boat and got banged up pretty bad. Matt, ever hear that story? Don N took me over to see that boat hanging, last yr or 2 yrs ago.

mattyboy
07-11-2012, 04:39 PM
no, haven't heard that one, that boat has not seen the water in many years. Pearson and i tracked the owner down on the lake back in 04. he was fishing in a row boat said he would not sell the boat until he was really old. the excess chain from the lift is resting on the hatch and is caving it in.

I would imagine a 300HP v drive in a sharp keeled deep vee could throw a curve ball to a younger driver

RickSE
07-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Matty, I remember pictures of the stuffed 16 years ago, maybe in the late 90's. The steering wheel was actually bent in half from the impact.

DON N.
07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
I think what you saw was a 22 classic that stuffed .

rmv42158
07-15-2012, 08:07 AM
HI Guys. Yes unforutantantly that was my father that was killed in the 18 2+3. They were not wake jumping. My father had let another guy drive. He saw the cable coming and saved the other two guys. My father or the other passanger were not decapitated, they were thrown in the water. My father was in the water for a bit until they found him. When found , him and the other passanger were intact. So please don't listen to the rumors. My father was an excellent boater and would never mess around to the point of danger. The barge was beyond the legal limits of being to far behind the tug, also the line was out of spec as well. However if anyone knows where this boat it id greatly appreciate anyhelp. Thanks.

rmv42158
07-15-2012, 08:12 AM
There was no couple on board. It my father and three of his friends. Not tryign to be mean so I apoloigize if I'm coming off as such. Just the facts thats all. Anyway thanks again guys. Most people would want nothing to do with it, however if I found it I'd love to have it. Oh and the steering wheel was on the port side. If not I'd like a similiar 18 one day. Below are two pics of the boat. The one is the picture taken after the accident in NY Harbor and the other is the bestinterior shot I have. MY father is standing on the back and the rest is my sister and mom. IM the goody little kid on the backseat.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/rmv42158/donzi2.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/rmv42158/donzi1.jpg

BOSTONCAMARO
07-17-2012, 08:57 AM
RMV....really sorry to learn of the tragic accident and the loss your family suffered, sounds like your dad was pretty accomplished on the water and it is really cool that he turned you onto boating.

Ghost
07-17-2012, 09:37 AM
R, very sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing the true history, as unpleasant as it is. Welcome to the board. I'll keep my eyes open for the boat, and I hope you're ultimately able to find it. -Mike

rmv42158
07-21-2012, 07:09 AM
THX guys. I appreciate it. Hoping to find it somewhere. If not im looking to settle for something similiar eventually. Great board here.

rmv42158
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
I hope you guys dontmind me bumping this. It's a long shot however, I'm hoping to find this boat. Thanks.

joseph m. hahnl
12-15-2012, 08:27 AM
There was no couple on board. It my father and three of his friends. Not tryign to be mean so I apoloigize if I'm coming off as such. Just the facts thats all. Anyway thanks again guys. Most people would want nothing to do with it, however if I found it I'd love to have it. Oh and the steering wheel was on the port side. If not I'd like a similiar 18 one day. Below are two pics of the boat. The one is the picture taken after the accident in NY Harbor and the other is the bestinterior shot I have. MY father is standing on the back and the rest is my sister and mom. IM the goody little kid on the backseat.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/rmv42158/donzi2.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/rmv42158/donzi1.jpg

There's this yellow 18 in Meredith NH (http://meredithnh.org/)

biggiefl
12-15-2012, 08:43 AM
I remember that boat VERY well as I grew up in Harvey Cedars. It was on a canal in Loveladies forever and I would see it out on the bay very often. There were only a few go-fasts back then on Barnegat Bay. My friend's Uncle owned the other 76 18 yellow Donzi which he kept at The Boat Yard in Cedars and there was another yellow 21 Hornet there too. I think I thought all Donzis were yellow growing up. I remember as a teenager wondering what happened to the boat and somebody telling me the story. Unfortunnately I too heard the driver was decapitated going between a barge, etc. Guess that is how it went around the island(sorry). I never saw the boat again nor for sale anywhere. Try the other Donzi sites as well, somebody has to know. PLEASE keep us posted and keep bumping this as I too am interested with the outcome as like I said I remember this boat very well.

biggiefl
12-15-2012, 08:50 AM
I think it was on Panorama lane? Been a while.

rmv42158
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
My grandparents house was on Holly Drive it sold in 1997. Thanks for all the input. That Donzi in NH looks like it however the steering wheel on my dads was on the port side. That one looks to be starboard. Thanks again guys.

rmv42158
03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
The boat was traded in by my grandfather to Merit Marine in Brant Beach (now Marine Max) for Sea Ray. Unfortunately Merit has no records of it that long ago.

Bobby D
07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
I spotted this boat last week on vacation during a beer run crossing the 34th street Bridge. Give them a call who knows it may be your boat and could be for sale? Last registration was 2010 last winterized 2012/13 winter and the owner’s last name is Wilson. It’s a 1970’s port side steer for sure and looks to be in decent condition. Sorry to see it sitting outside uncovered however the hull did have a shine. There were several deep gouges in the gel coat and it is a yellow boat.
All Seasons Marina Ocean City, New Jersey

John C in PA
07-23-2013, 03:58 PM
My wife had the same look on her face as your sister the 2 times she ever agreed to go for a ride on my Sweet 16. Ready for action :embarasse.

I hope you find your boat!

John C

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/rmv42158/donzi1.jpg[/QUOTE]

rmv42158
08-31-2013, 10:19 AM
I spotted this boat last week on vacation during a beer run crossing the 34th street Bridge. Give them a call who knows it may be your boat and could be for sale? Last registration was 2010 last winterized 2012/13 winter and the owner’s last name is Wilson. It’s a 1970’s port side steer for sure and looks to be in decent condition. Sorry to see it sitting outside uncovered however the hull did have a shine. There were several deep gouges in the gel coat and it is a yellow boat.
All Seasons Marina Ocean City, New Jersey

OMG thank you so much just saw this calling them now....thanks again.

Ed Donnelly
08-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Got my fingers crossed for you...Ed

rmv42158
08-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Well it turns out it's not it. That boat is 73 and he has owned it since thre 80's. I appreciate all the help though. The search continues.

biggiefl
09-03-2013, 10:42 AM
It also had an all yellow hull where yours was yellow & white.

Moody Blu'
09-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I saw a beat up yellow donzi on dock rd In tucker ton a few years back with my dad...

biggiefl
09-04-2013, 09:04 PM
I would not doubt that. Tuckerton may be a good place to search.

rmv42158
09-05-2013, 08:43 AM
Really? I live in the next town over from Tuckerton. Darn. Hopefully it turns up one day. Thanks again for all your replies guys.

JimG
09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
How certain are you about the year model? The clamshells look like the older style to me. I am not an expert, but the two 76's I have been around (EricH's & Krakmeup's) had the newer style with the black plastic bottom.

JimG

Hang in there, you will find it.

silverghost
09-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Just an idea ?

Might it be possible to trace the boat's current owner from it's old New Jersey hull registration number~~~assuming you have a clear old photo of that old number from when your Dad once owned that Donzi ?

I do hope you soon find your Dad's old Donzi !

biggiefl
09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
In NJ the reg #'s change with the new buyer unlike many states where they stay with the boat. I always hated having to remove and put on new stickers that were perfectly good.

rmv42158
09-07-2013, 09:44 AM
HI There unfortly the DMV will not allow people to search by VIN or reg numbers due to privacy. I already tried and I got to the DMV a lot for work. We have theold reg numbers as in NJ they do stay with the boat. They do not change. However I cannot find that way. We do have the original bill off sale from Ocean Beach Marine in Laffayette NJ where my dasd purchased it. VIN is unclear but the year we can see. Search continues.

Greg Guimond
11-16-2014, 07:42 AM
It's been a year. Hope he found the boat :yes:

f_inscreenname
11-16-2014, 10:45 PM
I know of a little history on mine and it does have a few things in common with the boat in question. I got it from a guy in the mid west but .... From what I understand it spent some time in NJ and Florida. It's a 1976, port side steering, I thought it was more gold and white but it could be yellow, someone redid the interior also (what was left of it) no clue what it was originally, same hardware I can see in the pictures...
I just don't see how you could be sure it was any boat unless they found it with the name still written down the side with the information at hand. Mine was painted dark blue when I got it and didn't need to be stripped down to the hull before it was repainted. It could have been named at one time but you could never prove it and what would be the first thing you would do with a boat with that history (no disrespect intended)? Strip the name off and paint it something real different. Mine even looked like it was painted in a real hurry and I could go on, on how it fits their description but how could you ever prove it today?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/f_inscreenname/1-11.jpg

rr1048
11-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Interesting information about this 1976. I owned a yellow and white 1976 18 2+3
In ft. Lauderdale and sold it to a guy from NJ sometime in the mid 80's. It was a port steering with a Volvo and 350. The boat was yellow with white bottom. When I had the boat, I installed a cam driven water pump and changed the camshaft. I drilled a small hole in the back seat to slide the cam in without removing the engine. I do not have the vin number anymore but have some old photos somewhere.

f_inscreenname
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Mine had a Volvo 280 (think it was a 280T) according to the vin number. Did a lot of work to the back side of the seat prepping for paint when the top was off. Never saw where a hole could have been cut out. Did look like it had a small block in it.
You can check out the restore at http://www.supernova19.com/resurrectionmarine/current_resurrection.htm

jeffkin15
01-14-2016, 09:24 AM
RMV,
I know this is an old thread but just stumbled across it when a couple of us were reminiscing about spending summers on LBI.
As a kid I used to love watching your dad blast out of Loveladies past Vol Sedge in the Yellow Rose (our house is in High Bar Harbor facing the Causeway). I had a small 8' hydroplane and I'd cruise across the flats to try to see him since it was one of the few go-fasts on that end of the island back in the 70's/80's. I remember Yellow Rose, Caliente (20' or 24' Cigarette) and another Donzi 22 on our street which almost never ran. I heard rumors about your dad's accident but figured it was an urban legend until I saw this post.
I'm sorry to hear about the accident and I hope you can track down the boat at some point.

rmv42158
02-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks all. We just found a copy of the reg card but its not really clear on the HIN# See attached.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/rmv42158/022B2A1D-8ABE-45D2-A5D4-F6C315D72C92.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/rmv42158/media/022B2A1D-8ABE-45D2-A5D4-F6C315D72C92.jpg.html)

rmv42158
02-06-2016, 04:31 PM
RMV,
I know this is an old thread but just stumbled across it when a couple of us were reminiscing about spending summers on LBI.
As a kid I used to love watching your dad blast out of Loveladies past Vol Sedge in the Yellow Rose (our house is in High Bar Harbor facing the Causeway). I had a small 8' hydroplane and I'd cruise across the flats to try to see him since it was one of the few go-fasts on that end of the island back in the 70's/80's. I remember Yellow Rose, Caliente (20' or 24' Cigarette) and another Donzi 22 on our street which almost never ran. I heard rumors about your dad's accident but figured it was an urban legend until I saw this post.
I'm sorry to hear about the accident and I hope you can track down the boat at some point.

Great story. Yes those were defiantly the days on LBI. I still rip up the bay to this day.

rmv42158
02-06-2016, 04:34 PM
Just got a really good lead which sounds like the boat in NY State however the vin on that boat is DMR185641076

BUIZILLA
02-06-2016, 06:46 PM
see my post on .ORG

I think I unraveled this

rmv42158
02-07-2016, 10:31 AM
see my post on .ORG

I think I unraveled this

Thank you again just need to find it now.

rmv42158
02-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Anyone know or heard of Christian Buddy? He may have purchased it in NJ in the 80's. Thanks.

rmv42158
02-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Buizilla from the Donzi.org forum was able to get me the build card. Hopefully this can help me in my search.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/rmv42158/donzi%20card.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/rmv42158/media/donzi%20card.jpg.html)

rmv42158
08-19-2016, 04:03 PM
I know of a little history on mine and it does have a few things in common with the boat in question. I got it from a guy in the mid west but .... From what I understand it spent some time in NJ and Florida. It's a 1976, port side steering, I thought it was more gold and white but it could be yellow, someone redid the interior also (what was left of it) no clue what it was originally, same hardware I can see in the pictures...
I just don't see how you could be sure it was any boat unless they found it with the name still written down the side with the information at hand. Mine was painted dark blue when I got it and didn't need to be stripped down to the hull before it was repainted. It could have been named at one time but you could never prove it and what would be the first thing you would do with a boat with that history (no disrespect intended)? Strip the name off and paint it something real different. Mine even looked like it was painted in a real hurry and I could go on, on how it fits their description but how could you ever prove it today?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/f_inscreenname/1-11.jpg
Hi there. D0 you have the Hull#

f_inscreenname
08-20-2016, 08:48 AM

DMR185047768C

PS, It's not mine anymore.

rmv42158
12-27-2017, 09:32 AM

I do agree with you. starting to realize how most of these older boats no longer have VIN tags or anything. Its like a needle in a hay stack. I truly thought I would have some more leads then I do now.

Such a shame that many of these boats didn't survive. They just don't make them like they used to. That's for sure.

Happy Holidays Everyone.

rmv42158
07-22-2018, 09:46 AM
So I just paid for a online HIN search and nothing really came back, however it did mention "Ohio DMV has title information" not sure if that is a default or not.

Greg Guimond
07-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Keep digging, I never give up for at least a few years.