PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 270 U-joint

Donzi Vol
07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
It looks like I busted up my U-joint at the Chatt event this year. Tough spot, but I'd say the 70 mile run was worth it...we'll see.

Anyway, this is a new one for me, so any input on replacing the U-joint would be very helpful. First off, what is a good source to locate one for a Volvo 270?

Thanks in advance for the help.

f_inscreenname
07-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Find the numbers on the caps and look them up. I forget off hand what the are but I'm sure someone will check in.

mattyboy
07-03-2012, 04:59 AM
ok every Volvo owner should have these guys on speedial and their favorites http://www.frenchcreekmarina.com/ Herburt is the guys name i think.

never replaced just the u joints but did replace the upper with the u joint all ready in place. not sure what you are prepared to do yourself you might be able to find the joints on ebay but that does have some risks. I always find that it is ok if you know the seller and to get some extra parts by buying an upper that has the joints with it as long as they are not a rusty mess. you will find as you dig into a 40 year old drive some parts are worn or break as you take them apart. might be a good time to find a good spare drive as a back up

the stuff between the 250 and 270 is usually pretty interchangeble heres the page out of the 250 parts book, if you read the parts book enough you'll get a working knowledge of the swedish language .

Donzi Vol
07-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try to do something about this this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

joseph m. hahnl
07-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Once you get the drive off,the u joints are held in place by a ring clip in the yoke.Depending how rusted they are a socket and hammer will drive the caps out.another method is to use a large C clamp with a cup for the bearing to fall into.

depending on what style of retaining clip they used? It could be as simple as a clip removal tool or the not so simple screw driver and hammer

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Mac-Tools-BJ7025M-Ball-Joint-U-Joint-Press-Set-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16dHJGYE9nooji7FBP8dMRYmUg~~60_57.JPG