PDA

View Full Version : Winterize X 2

Tony
06-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Due to circumstances beyond my control, it looks like my Donzi will not get splashed this summer.

Should I add more marine STA-BIL to the fuel? If I remember correctly, the tank is about 1/2 full.

Thanks!

duckhunter
06-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Sounds like you need to figure out a way to completely drain the tank. Dump the old gas in the mower/jeep/whatever. I definitely wouldn't trust 2 yr old fuel, particularly if it has any ethanol in it. The 1/2 tank is kind of a worst case scenario. Plenty of air space for water to emulsify into the fuel and too much for a big shot of fresh gas to dilute it.

I would get it as dry as I could after I pickled the motor for storage. Bad gas will eat and/or clog pumps and carbs in a big way.

Maybe someone on here has a good method of draining a fuel tank. I made a contraption with a bunch of hose and an outboard fuel primer bulb. Once the flow starts it's just a matter of catching the old fuel and not lighting yourself on fire.

Tony
06-29-2012, 10:49 PM
If I find a way to drain the tank, would I still need to worry about the fuel in the pump, rail, and injectors?

mattyboy
06-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Yes get that out too

MOP
06-30-2012, 06:12 AM
Tony try to get advice from Jim aka Buizilla he is our pro!

Phil

CHACHI
07-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Tony, follow Fixx's lead. Hi octan, non-ethanol fuel is good for at least a year.

Ken