PDA

View Full Version : Racing classes

woobs
06-29-2012, 03:38 PM
I know there's lots of guys around here that are boat racing enthusiasts both past and present....
I have mostly followed Auto racing so I have no clue as to the boat race designations.

I wanted to know if there is a listing somewhere that tells me which classes are which?
As a kid I remember the unlimited hydroplanes with the "U" before the number but, what is an "F" class or "B" class for example? Also I assume there must be a national ranking or somthing that governs the numbers (at least the single digits)? Cigarette #1 being World offshore Champion (I assume) at some point.

Does this class structure change or has it changed? Is it different for offshore vs. inland series'? Drags?
I suppose I should ask what series' are out there....as in auto racing there's WRC, Nascar, F1, IMSA etc... all different types of racing. Same with boats?

All enlightenmnet appreciated.

silverghost
06-29-2012, 05:06 PM
SEAN~
I am no real expert on this subject.
So I will defer to the Real experts on this subject~~~
And I know very well there are other forum members here on the forum who have actually raced in the past, or still race in various powerboat racing classes.

The American Power Boat Association (APBA) sets the classes & rules, & hull & engine specifications, for many. if not most, powerboat racing in the USA.

Do a web search for the American Power Boat Association's official website. (APBA)

There are also a number of "Vintage & Antique" boat websites that discuss older now long since discontinued boat racing classes.
Also there are many race boat & general boat museums & Antique boat restorers. & reproduction wooden raceboat builders, that have websites that discuss various older race boat classes.

woobs
06-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks,

That was a good place to start.
U is Unlimited, but I think now it's called H1 as the top hydroplane class.
J is Junior class.
Replica boats must have an R after the hull number....
I'm guessing that Gold Cup boats had a "G" ?

Still lots of places to look. It would be nice if it were all on one chart.