PDA

View Full Version : Sweet 16 Questions, Bilge Pump and Tilt Gauge

BOSTONCAMARO
06-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Ok, so my boat is an OMC, Ford 302. I need to do a few little things to get everything up to par before putting it in the water in two weeks, we are pretty handy, do a lot of restoration work on early Camaros and Corvettes, build motors, trans, etc, so really not too concerned about the labor involved but would really appreciate the advice from you guys on where to start. All of the information I have received from you guys on here has been great.

Bilge Pump - is not working at the switch, I want to pull it to test..then replace if needed, is it located down below the oil pan in the rear of the boat?

Tilt Gauge - the tilt works great, no problem at all but the guage is not working, we did notice a steel cable that appears to be a ground cable that goes into a bolt on the out drive, is this a ground cable for the tilt gauge? if not, what may it be?

Service Manual - what is a good source for picking up a quality print version of a service manual?

Regards, Tim

BobinCovington
06-29-2012, 09:58 PM
The bilge pump on mine is down below the engine and in my opinion, just replace and rewire to the switch and even replace the switch if required (bilge pump is something you want to work if you're in a situation that needs it). In fact I bought a more powerful model. I have tried to keep an old one working, but in the end just ended up buying new. They are not that much in the grand scheme of things...

on your other question, what is tilt again...? I haven't seen that on my 66 boat.

mattyboy
06-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Not sure where but there should be a.sender/s on the drive and a wire going to gauge If you ground the sender lead on the gauge it might tell you if you have a bad gauge or if the problem is connectivity or the sender

You can find the sender wire at the drive and ground it see what the gauge does might be a bad ground

Morgan's Cloud
06-30-2012, 11:53 AM
we did notice a steel cable that appears to be a ground cable that goes into a bolt on the out drive, is this a ground cable for the tilt gauge? if not, what may it be?

That would be a bonding wire to make sure there is contact on all overboard parts so that the electrolysis system (zincs , electronic system, etc) work to maximum efficiency.

If you have them make sure they're not broken and have a good clean connection at the bolt ends .

BOSTONCAMARO
07-02-2012, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info guys...any pictures of what I am looking for...as far as a ground on the drive for the tilt gauge?

thanks!