PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Top Source

VetteLT193
06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Hey all... I want a Bimini top for my boat (28 ZXO). I have finally reached the point of not taking anymore, especially with the kids on board.

The kicker is this. Where in flaming hell can I get one? I contacted Donzi Direct and he kinda does it but suggested to get one locally. Local places here are pretty non existent and don't do performance anything.

So, any good sources? I want something quality. I'll even take used if it matches... tan preferred to match the canvas but could go with White, very dark red, yellow, or even gray (carpet is gray).

silverghost
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
www.overtons.com/

is a marine mail order catalog outfit that sells various convertible top units in many sizes , shapes,types, and colors.
They come with aluminum , or for extra money Stainless Steel top bow pipe assemblys & all mounting hardware.
They are made of "Sunbrella marine fabric"
They also come with a custom storage boot when you want to fold-down & store your top when running etc.

Their prices are very inexpensive and the quaity is very good indeed.
Much less money than a local custom canvas outfit usually will charge you.

I have had a very large 8' by 14' Overtons Bimini convertible top unit that I deploy on my 24' American Skier Skiboat for the last 16 years.
My boat sits in the water for six months a season and the top sill looks great!
It really keeps the hot sun & rain off of you !

Ghost
06-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I went through a similar search here (MD), and only found one shop that inspired any confidence. Spendy, yet still backlogged, because they do great work. If you're ever going to bring it up here and know so 3-6 months in advance...

If you don't need it underway, I'd consider going cheap with one of those umbrella-style sunshades (Andre used one successfully on his ZX) while you shop and then wait, since I bet most good places will take a while to get to it anyhow.

(Quick aside: when you say nobody does "performance" stuff--are you looking for a bimini that you can use at speed?)

VetteLT193
06-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I'd like to be able to cruise with it up, say 40-45mph. I saw a 28 that used hard poles front and rear instead of straps to keep everything more solid, so that is probably the route I would take.

The overtons ones look ok, but all the hardware is plastic. If they had stainless hardware I think I would be sold.

Tidbart
06-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Bobby

Contact Barry Eller. He is over in Destin. Maybe he knows a name. He has one on his 22 made from stainless.

silverghost
06-28-2012, 05:44 PM
My overtons plastic hardware is still in very good shape after 16 years.
It's out in the sun all the time for six months.

You could always buy stainless steel convertble top pipe ends & jaws along with the base units at most marine stores like West Marine suppy etc. ; and swap out the plastic parts .
That would be very easy to do.

My converible top sees 50+ MPH while up all the time also.

Pretty hard to beat the catalog aftermarket kit price here at any local canvas guy~

dsparis
06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.empirecovers.com/biminitop.aspx?gclid=CLCJ9qyK8rACFeUBQAodpFgHuA
Stainless hardware

duckhunter
06-28-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a factory bimini on the 21 with blue Sunbrella fabric. Mounts to the windshield frame and snaps to the front of the windshield, and canvas straps on the gunwales to secure it. Works good and pretty sturdy even up on plane, but a pain in the ass to erect with all of the snaps. Also only 5' of headroom. I plan to get an anchor shade umbrella to use for rafting up and save the bimini for times that we really need to be able to stop & go with it attached.

If I didn't have the factory top I would spend the extra for the aftermarket Overton's (or whatever) true bimini top that doesn't connect to the windshield.

seabuddy
06-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Study a very new Cobalt to see a strong, rattle-free bimini that stays in place at speed. But it costs $$$.