PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Picked up sweet 16 yesterday!

BOSTONCAMARO
06-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Maybe not the best boat, not the most expensive boat, but with a canal that limits us to a boat no wider than 7 feet, which connects our pond to the big lake, the Donzi 16 has long been on our radar, my father who is 65, just retired has wanted one since he was 35.....I am 38 and remember being 8 - 10 years old and my dad always saying, one day he will get one...yesterday he did! We are heavy into early Camaros and Corvettes so really prefered a Chevy motor, but ended up finding a great running 302 powered Donzi. It had been listed since last fall or so for $10,500, then later for a long time at $9,900 and then two weeks ago down to $7,500 obo. We drove two hours to get it, test drove it, made a deal and took it home. He had all records, just was cosmetically dirty, spent all day yesterday cleaning the boat and covers, cockpit cover was filthy thought it couldnt be saved but some soft scrub, lestoil and scrub brush it looks brand new. Paint especially the red stripe was oxidized, compounded and waxed it once, came out pretty nice, am going to do more detailing, get the water mark off etc. My mom and dad are in the pics, taking off the old reg numbers etc.

Also what is the horsepower rating of the stock 302 in this boat? 205hp?

What flat out mph can I expect with right prop, conditions etc? 65 or so?

Thanks, Tim

duckhunter
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
That is an awesome story and a great looking little boat! Congrats to your Dad for finally picking up his dream boat! Sounds like it is a good "fit" for the narrow canal. And now you've got a little sweat equity in her...

Edited to add - photos are working now.

jl1962
06-28-2012, 08:31 AM
Congrats!

The 16 is a great little boat. You should see 60 MPH or so. But it will feel like 100!

Enjoy.

-JL

CHACHI
06-28-2012, 08:48 AM
BC, great story. I hope you enjoy the boat as much as your Dad.

Lestoil, wow, haven't heard that product name in years.

Did you know it was originally made in Holyoke MA?

Enjoy the ride.

Ken

mattyboy
06-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Congrats!

the omc ford 302 was rated anywhere between 190 ish and 205 ish hp the HO was rated at 225hp the boat should run mid 50's no problem

Dakari
06-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Nice to see that you finally found what you were looking for, Tim! Congratulations!

mike o
06-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Last Saturday in July, come on up..........:cool!:

Congratulations.......:)

BOSTONCAMARO
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah after Vietnam, buying the house, buying the lake house, raising three kids, putting us through college, my parents are finally retired with a level of comfort, bought the boat he wanted, my dad is psyched about the boat and my mom who is not too outdoorsy is looking forward to going for a ride in it.

Hopefully we can resist dropping a Chevy motor in it, at least for awhile haha!

Also want to thank to the various forum members for helping me through the search process over the last year or two.

Just Say N20
06-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Congratulations! Nice looking boat. Mom will like it; should be QUIET without thru-hull exhaust.

Mid-50s all day long.

MOP
06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I had a white with red 91 with an HO 302 it bored .030 over with a very mild cam. My best was 59.7 on a good day, I loved the boat but my bay can get nasty my old body could not take it anymore. A few will argue but one of the best mods is a set of tabs, you get two benefits control of porpoising and they do away with the wag common to all single engine deep V's. First time through that canal of yours you will just how much steering you will encounter, put a set of tabs on run them full down at low speed and it will track like an arrow. Best of luck with it, great boat!

Phil