PDA

View Full Version : Halon system?

johnnywhale
06-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Prowling around under the deck of my GT 21 and saw a solenoid / line leading to bilge with a fire extinguisher bracket. The wiring was sheathed like everything else on the boat. Did Donzi offer a flame out system as an option?
Just curious, thanks,
Johnny

mattyboy
06-25-2012, 09:05 AM
as far as factory lit the option was for a 2 1/2 lb dry chem fire extinguisher, but the factory would do whatever a paying customer wanted back then so it may have been rigged at the factory

the fire supression systems I have seen rigged have a pull handle with a pin seen with the blue tag under the steering wheel and a fire bottle with tubing to spray.

johnnywhale
06-25-2012, 09:13 AM
This is an electric solenoid. I have had manual halon systems on cars before. I thought this one was interesting. I will post a picture later.
On a different note, any ideas on sources for window molding? It's held in with adhesive tape and a pop in rubber molding on the outside.
Thanks,
Johnny

mattyboy
06-25-2012, 09:42 AM
on a side note I think any system that lets you get the extinguisher on the fire without having to pop the hatch is well worth it

johnnywhale
06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
This one covered the fuel tank area but not the engine compartment

Offset
06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Is Halon still a legal fire suppressant? I thought you could no longer buy it.

Tidbart
06-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Is Halon still legal?

Because Halon is a CFC, the production of Halon ceased on January 1, 1994, under the Clean Air Act. There is no cost-effective means of safely and effectively disposing of the Halon that has already been produced, therefore recycling and reusing the existing supply intelligently and responsibly to protect lives and property is the best solution.

The EPA recognizes that that Halon remains the most effective "clean" extinguishing agent available, despite its ozone depleting potential, and there are no federal or state regulations prohibiting the buying, selling or use of Halon extinguishers. All Halon available now is recycled so it is an environmentally responsible choice.

Tidbart
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
That was a cut and paste from some website.

If you can get it, use it.

B

Morgan's Cloud
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Wasn't it replaced with FE-241 ? An enviromentally friendly equally as effective and clean alternative ?

silverghost
06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
If you can find any recycled Halon today~~~
It is VERY expensive~~~Just like recycled R-12 "Freon" used in older car's AC systems.
There is also a very high federal Tax on recycled R-12 "Freon" and Halon to discourage it's continued use.

I have several older 1980s compact "Fireboy"automatic Halon extinguisher units in the engine compartments, & motorboxes on several of my boats.
Their pressure gauges are still very high in the green OK zone.
I have no plans to stop using them.

If you are lucky enough to already have a Halon automatic extinguisher or semi-auto system~~~
Use it !