PDA

View Full Version : 1969 grumble green ski sporter

bubbad
06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
good afternoon, Im looking at a 1969 ski sporter, grumble green, 289 holman moody with a volvo 270 [tilt even works] from the original owner, this boat along with my 18 2+3 v-drive were ordered at the same time and delivered to birmingham. boat has been completly restored, new fuel tank, wiring, guages, engine, outdrive, the original rocket trailer has been stripped and powder coated, boat has original interior,and gelcoat both in fantastic condition, not sure of the hours but I would guess not over 100! boat has been in a motor sports museum here in Birmingham for many years. I have been trying to buy this boat since I bought my v-drive in 1984! needless to say I really have the hots for this boat.:nilly: owner wants 25k? would love to here from you guys
. Thanks, Bubba

Donzi Vol
06-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Seems about right to me. But of course I'm a big fan of the restored/original Classics. When it comes down to it, if you still want the boat after nearly 30 years and you have the extra cash, it's probably the right thing to do.

Good luck!

mike o
06-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Go Get Her......;)

duckhunter
06-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Sounds like this has been your "grail" boat for a lot of years. There is a red 67 Chevelle back home that is like that for me. From a business perspective, you might lose a couple of bucks on resale. From a personal perspective, this sounds like something that would probably become an heirloom with a lot of history and meaning to you and your family. Buy that sucker and enjoy it - she spent enough time in a museum!

I know you've got pictures, and I would love to see them.

Bobby D
06-22-2012, 11:40 AM
IMHO something is only original once and applies more to cars than boats. Anyway it sounds like a very nice boat so if you are truly interested make him a cash offer and don’t look back. When I bought my old 1970 ski sporter I put a lot of thought into what I was truly willing to pay and made my best cash offer and the owner took it. Although it was over 7 years ago I did not pay anywhere near 25k. The boat had the original HM motor, 250 outdrive and rocket trailer but it was far from original because many parts over the years were replaced and in many ways better than original. Post some pictures would love to see it.

pipnit
06-22-2012, 01:59 PM

bubbad
06-22-2012, 02:07 PM
thanks to all! will post pics once i go pic her up!!!!!

bubbad
06-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Hey Bobby D. iS THAT A 65 OR A 66 GTO? DOES IT HAVE TRI POWER ? I LOVE OLD PONTIACS!!! I GOT A 74 T/A, 455 CAR WITH A RICHMOND 6 SPD. MANUAL TRANS, BUCCANEER RED!!

Donzi Vol
06-22-2012, 03:09 PM
"restored/original"=restored OR original (in this context). As in, having the same look and feel as it did in 1969, whether never touched (original), or having major problems fixed and improved along the way (restored).

BobinCovington
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I can vouch for the grumble green color...the old boats are extra work, but very cool. I have no idea what mine would be worth to sell it, but to me it is all about nostalgia and the memories of using it growing up.

bubbad
06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
I should clarify some things for Donzi Vol, when I said boat was "restored" i should have said "original with many improvments" sorry to have confused you:confused: R.T.R.:yes: Bob, I love your grumble green sweet 16, checked out your vidios, very nice! I agree with you 100%! i would not even consider selling my "original" 18 2+3 V-drive!

Bobby D
06-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Bubbad,
It’s a 1965 GTO that was built in Baltimore Maryland on December 15, 1964. The car was originally a factory tri power car however; the original 389-engine was blown up by a previous owner back in the early 80's and is long gone.

Donzi Vol,
Thanks for the original/restored response and my intention was not to be argumentative. I don’t take my car to shows anymore because I’m tired of hearing people tell me “if you turned that car back to original it would be worth a lot more money and be really nice. Someday I may restore back to its original use but for now it’s a nice driver. Ultimately it comes down to what the owner thinks something is worth and what someone is willing to pay to own it. I’ve had the pleasure of riding in Jay’s ski sporter and his 67 is my benchmark when comparing other ski sporters. Bob I have only seen pictures of you beautiful boat and it is clearly one of the best around. A fellow member requested fair market value advice and in my opinion for the asking price it would need to be in the top five.

Bob

bubbad
06-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Beautiful car Bob! Chief Pontiac would be proud!, Donzi Vol, thank you for your reply. I understand completly! When infatuated by something I to tend to be a little protective. Its all good! I enjoy speaking to everyone and hopefully getting together.

jl1962
06-26-2012, 06:27 AM
IMO - Best restored Ski Sporters are Magical Bill and Jason's boats. Hands down. Gorgeous boats and still in the Ford/Volvo camp. Very original colors and mechanicals.

Best slightly modded boat would be Bill's (just say N2O).

Best highly modified would be Parnell's .

There is the very nice yellow/black Ski Sporter out west for 30k and there was a really nice grumble green that was on eBay maybe a year ago.

I have only seen pictures of Cliff/Di's baby blue but I hope to see it running on LG one day.

Bob- I think your old 16 was maybe a click nicer than mine - the original gel, helm and fire extinguisher pushed it over the top - IMO!

Bob in Covington's boat is a real living, breathing piece of history - it is the Van Gogh in the attic!

Those are the nice ones I know of. There are probably others. Are these boats worth 25k? I'm pretty sure we all have north of 25k in them.....

For the right buyer?
Absolutely!
;)

BobinCovington
06-29-2012, 10:14 PM
25K???... SOLD! LOL:yes: Just let me use it for one more season