PDA

View Full Version : Minor gear lube leak?

Namstradamus
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
My 22C is currently in the water and I've noticed that every time I raise the outdrive all the way up in the trailer position then lower it all the way back down, I notice a "very slight" oily residue floating away from the upper unit... Is this normal?

This could be related or completely unrelated; the gear lube in the reservoir seems to go down 1 or 2 mm every week. Is this normal as well?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and ease my OCD w/ the Donzi. At the end of the day, the boat has been running just fine and I could be completely paranoid.

THANKS!

2006 22C
496 Mag H.O.
Bravo 1x w/ Livorsi drive shower (just put it on this year and hope this isn't the problem)

pipnit
06-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm no mechanic or private investigator but I'm pretty sure if you're seeing a film on the water, and you're consuming oil, you...

have...

a leak:boggled:

Offset
06-12-2012, 06:11 AM
I would agree with the other folks. If the oil level is constantly dropping and oil shows up as a skim on the water at the drive you would have to think something is not right. Maybe something as simple as a loose drain plug or bad "O" ring on the plug. I would look for any visible signs of damage to the drive. Bump into anything lately.

Good luck but I do think you are wise to check it out further.

dsparis
06-12-2012, 07:19 AM
+1 what Fixx said. Have it checked out before you find Al Gore in a hazmat suit standing on your dock.

Morgan's Cloud
06-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I'll take the outdrive out of the discussion for a minute here ..
I once had (as you describe it) the exact same problem with my old alpha unit.
There was nothing wrong with the outdrive , for a change . It was a crack/split in one of the trim lines .
A leaking seal on a trim ram will do the same thing too .

gcarter
06-12-2012, 12:15 PM
If the exhaust ever goes through the drive, it could be from the engine exhaust..............

Namstradamus
06-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I'll get it checked out