PDA

View Full Version : Noise in 280 drive at idle

tiupc
06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I happened to lift the cover on my motor and heard the noise in the attached Video. This was at idle in neutral. Is this a normal noise. Utube video link is http://youtu.be/iD2Z5gLj77A Any help/info would be appreciated

Trevor

mattyboy
06-12-2012, 08:38 AM
I would grease the intermediate housing. Some took a little oil some have a grease fitting the part with the black and yellow sticker.
Does sound a little chattery. You might want to remove the drive check the u joints and see if the noise goes away. That would let know if the drive or the back of the motor is making the noise
When off plane at idle speeds if you turn hard lock to lock to you feel a vibration when up against the lock? That is a sign of the u joints going
Could be the upper gears as well

tiupc
06-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info Mattyboy. The video is with the drive in neutral and the motor at about 650 rpm. I will try it in gear and turn steering lock to lock to check for vibration. I happened to find a volvo dealer today in eastern ontario and let him listen to the video. He said he didn't think the noise was anything in particular but he also suggested that I check for vibration when running. He said if I don't get vibration, go ahead and run it. He also said check fluids etc. I guess I have never leaned over the motor when running so maybe this is a perfectly normal sound. If all checks out, maybe I will get brave and remove the outdrive to check the u joint

Regards
Trevor

mattyboy
06-12-2012, 08:48 PM
actually the u joints and the uppers are always spinning when the motor is running so even on the trailer with the drive down in nuetral try to turn from lock to lock and see if the sound changes or it vibrates

tiupc
06-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks Mattyboy. I will do that this weekend

MOP
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
By chance do you have through hulls with internal flappers? If so take a long thin screw driver lift them up, then place a wooden dowel or stick under them they can make some odd noises.

tiupc
06-14-2012, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

MOP Thru hulls are external flappers. The sound on the video is only heard if leaning over the engine where it attaches to the drive. Do not hear sound when outside of boat or when hatch is closed.

Thanks

Trevor

tiupc
06-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Turned the steering lock to lock with engine idling and no change in either the noise nor was there any noticeable vibration. Cand you get at the u joint without removeing the outdrive ?
I greased the fitting on the engine coupling although not sure how much to grease.

Trevor

mattyboy
06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
removing the drive is not really that big of a job on a 200 250 270 or 280 without trim. remove the 2 bolts and shift cable retention plate then remove the cable( pull it inside the boat so it is not in the way),remove the reverse lock pin, loosen the outer bellows clamp, remove the bolt in the steering helmet and then push the side suspension pins out. I used a wood block under the skeg to support the drive and keep it at the same height so it doesn't bind up when pushing out the pins. This can be done alone but another set of hands might make it easier.

Removing the drive will tell you if the noise is coming from the back end of the motor/ coupler housing or the drive itself.

On the grease in the coupler I have asked my self the same question , my old volvo didn't have it the new one does, so maybe someone here knows

thescooter
06-18-2012, 08:18 PM
i would start by remove drive inspect and change Ujoint.